Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 05:33

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2010, 18:45 

i haven't played wow for years (quit just after TBC released), never used my aol account in any way connected to the game when i did, and don't use the account for anything at all now. the last dealings i had with blizzard was to make a battle.net account when they changed the way you log in to wow, for which i used a totally new email.

however, this is what greets me each time i do log into my aol email just to keep tabs on it (non-wow stuff deleted).

the top part is the spam folder that gets flushed fairly often (every week, maybe?), the bottom part is what aol lets through its' own filters.

anyone else get the same crap from wow related spammers/fishers, or am i just very unlucky?

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2010, 01:19 

anyone else get the same crap from wow related spammers/fishers, or am i just very unlucky?

I used to... Then it got worse, they are spoofing my old email address and sending people like you those emails. Then every time that the email address does not exist anymore I get a Delivery Failed notification.

They got that email address from the WoWCensus plugin database leak (emails only, no accounts or passwords etc).

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2010, 03:29 

Hey my spam folder looks like yours! but its seemed to have died down as of today tho

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 00:46 

that is exactly those sort of problem why I now use a domain just for the purpose of being able to create email aliases on the fly & delete them on the fly
one email per website ...
email compromised ?
-no problem
-first deal with the origin of the problem (either delete the account, change the email or whatever)
-delete the alias

finished no more spam ...
and fishing is easier to detect too

only problem left... how to deal with real persons :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2010, 06:23 

Gmail has this feature whismerhill which is [one of the reasons] why I completely switched over to it.

You simply add +label to your email address like so.. [email protected]

Then you can auto delete labels like WSGF.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 12:34 

nice however I don't like gmail myself, google being too big as it is already & it's enough with them being able to know what I'm searching for without them being able to know what's inside my emails ...
as they say : "don't put all your eggs in one basket" ..

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2010, 16:13 

I popped in to the forums today to ask a question about something totally unrelated, but came across this thread in the process.

I've never played WoW or had a Battle.net account. Yet I've received a handful of emails from Blizzard. I never even read them as it wasn't a constant flow of emails. That was until I subject caught my eye; "Battle.net -- Account Login Change Confirmed".

I looked at the properties of the link provided in the email, which shows as Address: *snip*.us/login.html. It looked legit so I clicked on it and was taken to a page telling me that a request was initiated to change my current email to a different one. I just let it go as I didn't care about it anyhow. Like I said, I never played WoW or had a Battle.net account. I just shrugged my shoulders and though it was some mix up.

But now that I see this thread, I looked back through my deleted emails from Blizzard and sure enough, all of them are notices of a varity of pending account changes. I'm one to pick up on phishing pretty quick, but I didn't even bat an eye at this one. I just thought Blizzard got my email from EA or some other gaming account.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2010, 16:55 

the main domain being "requestverify.us" (the rest being only sub-domain information)
could give you a tip on it being fishing ...