Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 16:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 00:59 

I just installed this last night and despite it playing better than I thought it would on my spec and starting to get used to the slightly too close camera, the audio bug in it is keeping me from playing it. There's an 8 page thread on Activision's official Prototype forum about this issue, and the suggested fixes have not worked for most, including myself.

The problem is during cutscenes and pausing to the menu, the audio becomes garbled with heavy static and the speech/video slows to a crawl. This makes it very hard to follow the story or key intel in the game because the former is told largely via cutscenes and the latter via playing Web of Intrigue clips in the menu, which are short videos of the memories of those you've consumed.

I hope they patch this game soon to fix this problem, because it seems fairly unique and fun so far. The rooftop scaling is more dramatic and fluid than in Assassin's Creed, you can consume any person to disguise yourself as them, pick up any weapon to use, toss large objects at enemies like the Hulk, etc, etc.

If anyone else has the game, are you having the cutscene/menu audio problem? The game shouldn't have been released in this condition. I don't see how with all the people having this problem they did not catch it in the beta testing.

http://forums.activision.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1788

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 01:53 

The only actual problem that I have had is that the camera indoors is completely broken. You turn your mouse and it feels as if the camera is moving at 5 FPS, its all jerky and gets stuck. So I have to lift up my mouse like 4 times to do a 360 turn inside of buildings.

And theres 3 boss fights in buildings and they are all a sevre pain in the ass simply because of that problem.

Oh and pressing Forward and Left at the same time makes my character walk (when not sprinting) and Left just doesn't register what so ever doing anything else except running up the side of buildings. This is probably due to rebinding my controls, but none the less it was extremely aggravating, especially in buildings combined with the mouse problem.

The story I thought was pretty good, I've heard that lots of people disliked it but it kept me interested, mainly how it was told with the web of shadows and the flashfoward cutscenes between days.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 08:36 
Insiders
Insiders

The only thing I've encountered is that my 5.1 is very quiet. All speakers are about the same volume, jsut all quiet when compared to 2.1 or headphones.

The indoor camera thing bugged me a bit, but i cound the reset to my movement stick, so that works out just fine.

EDIT: misunderstood... I don;'t get the "slow" camera inddoors. My only issue was that it doesnt like to be by walls, so it's harder to see teh center of an indoor area...

8 1/2 hours, only 6 missions done.

..and 6500 ped kills. Fun fun. I hope Radical makes another.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 13:43 

Odd. i havent encountered any of these problems at all - not even the indoor camera thing.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2009, 22:36 

I hope Radical makes another.

Well they definitely set up the story for another ;)

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2009, 01:49 

Well, yeah, the camera is certainly annoying, but I've yet to go indoors. I get the feeling it's largely lag related though. Many of the comments on the link I posted indicate there could be an issue with input lag from certain KB and M, possibly USB and/or HID related. One guy even said unplugging his KB, launching the game, then plugging it back in fixed the audio problem.

If you've got a Creative card like the rest whom replied here Da Fox, it would appear the crackling audio problem is caused and/or exacerbated by software emulated sound processing, because none whom have one mentioned it.

I have shelved the game for now in favor of waiting for a patch. The story looks interesting but I have no clue what's going on not being able to listen to the cutscenes and Web of Intrigue clips.

Before I go jumping on that Radical make a sequel bandwagon, I think they better offer up some better testing and support.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2009, 18:16 
Editors
Editors

Got it, like it.

Use a X-Fi Xtreme Music and have no sound issues except I find that speech in cutscenes is too quite, so I turn up the volume to hear it and then when I get back to the game I blow the roof off my house with the subs and stuff from the live gaming being too loud.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2009, 22:29 

Yeah, def needs an audio patch. Lots that aren't having the crackling noise are reporting very low volumes. If they patch it adequately, I'll dive right back into it. For now I remain tentative.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 18:21 

Haven't experienced any of those problems, though I haven't had much motivation to play. I think I might've read something about desynced audio in the readme or something though; did the other people have slow machines or bad sound hardware? No idea.

edit: forgot I was using the 360 controller and not the mouse, so I suppose it might be impossible to get your camera problem. :X

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2009, 23:18 

Well I just tried installing the old SB Audigy I forgot I had last night. I plugged in my headphones and got the same exact problem I had with my M-Audio Revo. It would appear there's more to the problem than using a software driven sound card.

The problem doesn't seem to be exclusive to low spec gear though, and the Sound Issues thread on the official forum for the game is now the top sticky on the Technical IssuesPC forum 20 pages long, 380 replies, and growing in angst with no response about a patch yet from Activision (last I checked anyway).

http://forums.activision.com/viewforum.php?f=54