Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 14:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 01:03 

So SquEnix released their benchmark program for people to check if their system can handle it. I took a quick run through it and it seems to run fine. It kept itself above 60fps but that's only due to a couple of things.

First, there are two resolution modes. The highest resolution is 1920x1080 and there are no other graphical options available. You can loop the test but I only ran it once. It gave me a score of 3932 at the end, yet it doesn't give me an average FPS. Had to look at the fraps number to make an estimate.

Second, I don't think there's any way to fullscreen the benchmark window. I only gave it a quick run and since there's no "windowed" or "fullscreen" option.

There's no telling if SquEnix will bother with Eyefinity or will have something on hand to support unorthodox resolutions.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 01:31 

A little birdie told me the pre-release builds are using 30FPS caps and fixed-resolution lists.

But I am sure that is for testing purposes only.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 02:56 
Insiders
Insiders

Awe you got me all excited thinking that a (proper) SP FF game was comign to OC> But no, it's another stupid MMO. Lame.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 13:39 

A little birdie told me the pre-release builds are using 30FPS caps and fixed-resolution lists.

But I am sure that is for testing purposes only.

I question why anyone would do such a thing for 'testing' purposes.

It ends up just creating more work not doing it correctly the first time. And there's a good chance they would forget about it since it 'works fine'.

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2010, 19:05 

Pff was just about to post this :P

I was gonna try this out maybe but then i read this
In addition to the standard 1280x720 pixel display, the benchmark also supports a 1920x1080 high definition display. Enjoy every crisp detail of the gorgeous world of Eorzea.

Does anyone even use 720p monitors? And why no graphics options and only 2 resolution modes?
Not sure about anyone else but to me this implies yet another crap console port from SquareEnix.

I got 3137 and 33884ms load times.
Q9300 @2.5(stock) atm with a 5870.

I should try my OC profile but i cba.

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2010, 08:01 

Yes it does imply console port. TV resolutions only = fail.

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2010, 17:13 

/sigh (can we get a /sigh emote?)

and I was looking forward to seeing how this played out...

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2010, 06:20 

http://www.i4u.com/article36280.html

Square Enix had presented the game to Microsoft to get the obligatory license to put it on Xbox 360, but Microsoft denied them. Apparently Microsoft was not interested on running the intensive massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) on the Xbox Live servers, so they passed on it, even though they had previously allowed Final Fantasy XI to run on Xbox Live.

Microsoft says talk to the hand.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2010, 05:48 

http://kotaku.com/5596917/final-fantasy-xiv-esrb-rating-warns-against-putting-your-manhood-in-the-forge

This is a massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) in which players navigate a large cast of characters that engage in missions and fight the forces of evil. Players explore environments (e.g., cities, plains, caves) and battle human and fantasy creatures. Players use swords, spears, axes, firearms, and magic spells (e.g., fire balls, energy beams) to defeat enemies in real-time combat. Cutscenes depict a man being stabbed from behind, and creatures emitting splashes of purple or yellow blood when struck. Some female characters are depicted from low camera angles, with lingering camera views of their buttocks (i.e., up-skirt shots). Dialogue contains suggestive references; for example, "The netmaster's probably up in his office polishing the mast just thinking about her," "stick yer manhood in the forge," and "You cheating little whore!" Several characters are referred to as drunk or drunken, while others sometimes talk about wine, rum, and grog. The word "sh*t" can be heard in the dialogue.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 02:36 

And the urge to play MMOs remains dead.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/finalfantasy14/review.html?tag=topslot;title;4