Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 11:58

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Demon's Souls
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 19:40 
Insiders
Insiders

This is a thread about Demon's Souls. I haven't played the game yet, but I've come across a blockbuster gift card and I will be renting it to check it out this weekend. Has anybody here played this game yet?

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:11 
Editors
Editors

There is currently no UK or EU release date.

Which has me sad, as I'm interested in this too! :D

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 20:52 

The reviews are very positive but apparently the game is very hard. You can expect to die very often.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 21:02 
Editors
Editors

Ah, so it's like Baroque, then. (That game was nasty when it came to difficulty level...)

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 22:20 
Insiders
Insiders

The reviews are very positive but apparently the game is very hard. You can expect to die very often.
That's why I'm renting it first. From what I can tell so far, it's very hard but still doable. I can't wait.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 01:54 
Insiders
Insiders

Bought this game been playing it since the weekend.. it's really a lot of fun.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 15:17 
Insiders
Insiders

Well, since Blockbuster fails epically and didn't have the game I just bought it. It took me an entire evening just to beat the tutorial and the first chapter. But it was fun the whole time. The game rewards smart players, and isn't as punishing as it seems at first. Yes, you will die. Several. Hundred. Times.

But unlike a lot of games, you are given the chance to keep the souls you gathered during your previous life. As long as you can get to the spot you died in you get it all back.

PostPosted: 19 Oct 2009, 15:19 

I guess hope for a PC port is pretty small.

I hate when PC genre games don't appear on PC! Arg.

Post subject: Re: Demon's Souls
PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 17:05 

I have never seen a game that is so fun and frustrating at the same time. My magician was breezing through the first level until he ran out of mana. Then he got repeatedly killed until i decided to try another class. My priest lasted longer but until i finish the first level, i can't level up the character.

Post subject: Re: Demon's Souls
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2010, 21:51 
Insiders
Insiders

I got this game yesterday, somewhat inexpensively. I'm still stuck on the first non-tutorial level.

Maybe I don't get it, but so far I'm not really impressed. The game's combat heavy, and the combat mechanics are solid, but slow paced, and the majority of enemies have given me no problems at all. My technique is stay just out of lunge range, wait for the enemy to lunge and miss, then step in and lunge myself while he recovers. But the fighting just isn't that much fun.

So, the combat is simple, but repetitive and quickly becomes tedious. So why haven't I finished the first level yet? It's got a bunch of impossible to predict deathtraps in it. Similar to I Wanna Be the Guy, but without any of the imagination or humor. And while I Wanna Be the Guy has checkpoints aplenty - bosses aside I don't think I ever lost more than a minute of gameplay from dying - I haven't even seen ONE checkpoint in this game yet. I play for twenty minutes, then I approach a doorway filled with wooden kegs (identical to ones I had smashed previously) and then suddenly the kegs blow up in my face. Return to beginning. I play for another twenty minutes, reclaim my souls, and slowly approach the kegs, and jump back just as soon as I'm in conflagration range. They blow up, I live. Ten minutes later, I'm fighting enemies on a wall, and then a boulder hits me from behind, knocking me to the ground. Ten more boulders follow, rolling right over me. I get pissed off, turn the PS3 off, and eat some lunch.