Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 18:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 May 2010, 19:53 
Editors
Editors

Just-released arcade racer Split Second (commonly dubbed Split/Second, for some reason) is an insult to PC gaming in many ways.

Not only is the game Vert-...
It also has laughable quality settings: Low, Medium, High, Very High.
Worst of all: it has a stupid framerate cap. You won't be able to get beyond 30 fps at any res or quality setting. With or without vsync.
And of course, there's no easy way to fix any of this thanks to encrypted game files and lack of registry keys.

No Hor+ is a pity... but the rest is a real shame :evil:
This is a big disappointment for me, as Blackrock Studio's previous title (quad racer Pure) was a decent (albeit not flawless) port, and a blast in Surround...

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 05:24 

That's a damn shame... as it looks good as an arcade racer and has potential to be fun online or via lan. Oh well. That's one less game I have to consider.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 05:43 
Insiders
Insiders

Some of these games coming out lately are making it really easy to decide what to spend my money on.

PostPosted: 21 May 2010, 16:55 

It's a Disney game, stay far far away. Glad I had the option to try before I bought.

I'm sure it wouldn't even be a decent console arcade racer.

PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 11:36 
I Donated
I Donated

Just took a look at the comparison screen shots thread. Wow, what a shame. The gameplay for this game looks really fun. But the image is way too messed up for Eyefinity users like my self.

I guess they don't want my money. :(

PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 13:25 

And spammeister, no need to diss ALL Disney games just for having the "Disney" name on it. I play Pure in the XBOX360 and IMHO it is a really awesome and addictive game. And the PC version is well written - it runs circles over the XBOX version.

I fully agree.

Heres the demo:
http://www.bigdownload.com/games/splitsecond/pc/splitsecond-demo/
Edit: This demo is apparently like the worst thing ever created, and REALLY should not reflect the game what so ever! You cant even change your resolution in it. -_-

This game certainly is not bad in my opinion. Its just not good. It's just fairly average.

PostPosted: 23 May 2010, 17:43 
Editors
Editors

Any PC game with a 30fps framerate cap is below average.
Other than that, I agree the "environment hazard trigger" gimmick of the game is neither good nor bad.

PostPosted: 24 May 2010, 18:05 

it's a deception, the game sure seemed to bring a bit of fresh blood to racing games

PostPosted: 25 May 2010, 22:51 

bawwww. you guys complain too much.
Sure its vert- and the 30fps cap is really gay, but its a fun game and it looks great. Crank the volume and the game is really intense, dodging exploding cars and planes and all sorts

Hopefully they'll release a patch or someone will make a hack or something to get rid of the framecap and then everything will be better

PostPosted: 26 May 2010, 05:39 

Keyword: Hopefully

You cannot trust any interesting-looking games that is released on both consoles and PC these days. A lot of the devs just don't take the extra time to really make a proper PC version. I'd be surprised if the game gets updated to add features, if not fixing bugs.

If this game had any promise in the first place, the developers would have reached out to see what the gamers want to see in the PC version. Criterion Games did this for Burnout Paradise despite never developing Big Surf Island for PC. It would never have a vert- or a 30fps lock if Black Rock took the time to make the PC version the best looking version of the 3 platforms out there.