Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 17:53

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: The Blizzard Thread.
PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 05:52 

http://www.cheathappens.com/article_blizzardbans.asp

This just makes me sick.

In the past they have made connection to the impact of the hack and the action taken. (I.E. you would get banned for using something like a map hack in Warcraft 3, but you could also get banned for using custom campaign hosting tools. :x)

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 06:01 

Wow, I was upset about removing the singleplayer from multiplayer cheaters, let alone singleplayer guys. Crazzzzzzy.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 06:27 
Insiders
Insiders

That's pretty disgusting.

I've never wanted to post that Picard-head-in-hand pic before, but I'm pretty close now.

Ban cheaters in MO, of course. But for people that only cheat themselves!? Plus, some SP cheats can be pretty fun. And what's this? they ban SP for MP cheating? Oy.

Boy, am I glad I didn't buy a copy. Reading that article makes me want to pirate it, just out of spite. Maybe World of Warcracfts' success has made them think too highly of themselves.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 07:59 

But for people that only cheat themselves!? Plus, some SP cheats can be pretty fun. And what's this? they ban SP for MP cheating? Oy.

Really the worst part is how they define cheating too, they don't define it as 'an unfair advantage over another player' like other systems such as VAC or Punkbuster. They define it as 'any third party program'.

Its rather sickening.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 08:42 
Editors
Editors

“playing anything other than an unaltered game client violates the Battle.net terms or use. We strongly recommend that you avoid using any hacks, cheats or exploits.”

Done. I will likely never purchase this game, even in the bargain bin. I happen to take great pleasure from modding games in a variety of ways, from doing FOV fixes to just dorking around for fun, but I ain't playing with Big Blizzard.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 11:23 
Editors
Editors

That's pretty disgusting.

I've never wanted to post that Picard-head-in-hand pic before, but I'm pretty close now.

I'm more than happy to take one for the team here....

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 11:50 

The only thing that comes to mind is the achievements, as your constantly connected to Battle.net etc.
But considering the games mechanics, i understand this. Although i do agree, this should be made more obvious.
And wouldn't the better thing to do be, delete the data/achievements whilst cheating? And leave it at that. Maybe a little warning?

What annoys me if is the fact that Blizz have the final say, no questions asked.
Exacly the same with Steam too.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 12:46 
Editors
Editors

I'm presuming that they aren't banning people for the built-in cheats? (Which disable Achievements if you use them apparently...)

Regardless, this is fairly obviously a money-making exercise: I imagine they think that people banned will go buy a second copy of the game. Which, I think they'll be wrong. I was planning on getting the "StarCraft 2 Battle Chest" or whatever it would be, but I've not bought an Activision/Blizzard game in years due to lack of interest, so seems like that'll just continue with a more defined reason.

I personally don't see what's wrong with cheating in single player, although I obviously see what is wrong with cheating in multiplayer... but Blizzard's response seems rather disproportionate. I could see a case for "single player 3rd party cheating" being detected and disabling Achievements, or something... but banning an account so the game can no longer be played? A great example of the "licensing" of software being used as an abuse of power. Especially since they don't perma-ban WoW cheats.

And I bet if anyone tried to take this to court, Blizzard would bang on about how "memory address injection/modification is a violation of the DMCA" or some such bollocks.

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 16:11 
Insiders
Insiders

If we accept that they're trying to stop people from earning achievements unfairly, then some kind of punishment is necessary. Cheat detection can't work 100% of the time, so it needs to do something worse than just negate the payoff to discourage cheating.

That said, worrying about singleplayer cheating is just stupid. Who cares about earning achievements fairly, other than the person trying to earn them? Do people really compare their SP achievements to others'?

PostPosted: 11 Oct 2010, 17:32 

If we accept that they're trying to stop people from earning achievements unfairly, then some kind of punishment is necessary. Cheat detection can't work 100% of the time, so it needs to do something worse than just negate the payoff to discourage cheating.

That said, worrying about singleplayer cheating is just stupid. Who cares about earning achievements fairly, other than the person trying to earn them? Do people really compare their SP achievements to others'?

I think the main problem is Blizz are really trying really hard to push Battle.net.
And as achievements and score etc tie into this so much..

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next