Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Sep 2024, 12:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: TRON Evolution
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 19:20 
Editors
Editors

Well I was trying to keep some tempered hope alive for this game, but I think reality is setting in:

http://www.gamersnexus.net/features/gg/418-tron-evolution-hands-on
GN: ... How long has Tron: Evolution been in development? When's the planned release date?

PS: Fifteen months so far. We're targeting December 7th for release.

GN: That's a pretty short development cycle. What was the team size?

PS: The team is thirty-some people, plus some outsourced work. You're right - it is a very short time to develop a full game.

the game is also releasing on every major platform (the PC version will be a port from either the Xbox or PS3 version)

GN: What about mod support? Will there be any expected support for PC modders? What's your distribution channel for the PC?
PS: The game will probably be pretty closed off. We're using Games for Windows Live for the achievement system, so it is unlikely there will be any modding.

Notice how the dev openly equates GFWL with no modding support? I would lol if this wasn't so damned depressing.
I opted to play the Xbox 360 version...
With opponents beginning to focus-fire me, I leapt for a ledge to recover some health. Instantly I was stopped in place. My adversaries continued destroying me while paralyzed, and when I looked to Patrick for advice, he merely shook his head and smiled: "That's not supposed to happen." I asked him if I had been hit with some sort of stun, "No, I haven't seen this bug before. Strange." We reset the game, this time hoping for a less glitchy result.

In my first five minutes I had broken the game, and immediately foresaw the impending 'no replayability' slams from reviewers worldwide - watching cinematics over, and over, and over is not fun, and makes it impossible to pick the game up for a few minutes.

:(

Post subject: Re: TRON Evolution
PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 20:01 

I am more interested in the movie TBH.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 20:45 
Editors
Editors

I am more interested in the movie TBH.

As am I. My (likely) disappointment with the game stems from the fact that Tron, more than just about any other film IP, abounds with potential gaming awesomeness. With talented support Tron could be a very solid franchise, let alone the possibilities for an MMO.

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2010, 20:58 

I am more interested in the music TBH.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 07:28 

Tron is an odd duck. It seems to get a little love, but no one I know actually talks about it or cares about it. Was there anything to the original other than some novel aesthetics? A good Tron game came out years ago, but it was nothing spectacular - no one ever reminisces about that, either.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 15:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Tron is an odd duck. It seems to get a little love, but no one I know actually talks about it or cares about it. Was there anything to the original other than some novel aesthetics? A good Tron game came out years ago, but it was nothing spectacular - no one ever reminisces about that, either.

I thought that last PC tron game was pretty good. It looked so nice on my shiny new x800 :)

Too bad this is just another cash-grab movie game. They always have so much potential, being based on awesome films, but end up being quick, cheap awful games that only fanboys can love.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 21:16 

I liked Tron 2.0, but never played it too far. Don't remember why. Probably broke my computer or something and then never got back to it when I rebuilt.
I think I remember seeing the box around, maybe I'll see if the CD is there and attempt installing it in Vista.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 22:01 
Insiders
Insiders

There's some mods for it now that make it more friendly to modern set-ups. Better wide-screen and some new textures and stuff.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/killer-app

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 00:14 

This news saddens me... :(

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 18:18 

It is getting thumped in reviews.