Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 10 May 2024, 18:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hate Steam, hate Origin.
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 02:57 

Hate Steam, hate Origin. Nothing but SALES trash.

Post subject: Hate Steam, hate Origin.
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 02:58 

double posted somehow sorry

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 05:02 

GOG is better than both, you can back-up/archive the entire game as a simple executable file, and/or redownload that file whenever you want.

Post subject: I think origin has re
PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 10:40 

I think origin has re downloaded bf3 about half a dozen times so far. and with some isp caps. that can cost you over a hundred quid easily because you went over your cap

3 x 42 inch screens @5860x1080
16 gigs xmp ram @2200

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2012, 13:43 

Yup, if Origin was genuinely something useful it wouldn't need to have exclusive releases of EA games to force people to choose between dealing with it or not being able to buy that game. I'd rather not playing ME3 then install EA spyware on my computer.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2012, 06:48 

I missed the start of this thread... so I'll repeat some of the things that has been said here.

Origin as a software, I don't mind much. My biggest gripe is the EULA. EA wants to collect info. I want no part of that. There's nothing to opt out of it unless you want to go through the boring f'ing process of doing it by hand. Worst off is that they are collecting data WHILE it sits in the background.

Once a while, Steam will pop up a dialog asking if I want to participate in a hardware survey. "Sure. The more data they have about people's hardware, the easier it is for the devs to see how much they can push those hardware to display fancy visuals." Origin has none of that. They want to know what's running on your PC. Sorry, to me, that's intruding on my privacy.

Origin's game listing needs to be reworked... immensely. Even in list/details mode, it appears to eat up so much space.

The part that I despise the most about Origin is "exclusivity." I hate when a game is exclusive to a particular distribution service. To me it does nothing more than alienate people. I liked Steam and how it works, performs, and operates. It's not intrusive and any game devs can release a game outside of Steam if they want. My primary focus on games right now is BF3. As we all know, BF3 requires Origin to be installed. Yet when you look at the process of how to start up BF3, it starts making you wonder... why is Origin even required in the first place?

1) Start Origin
2) Start BF3
2a) This causes your primary browser to start up. Log into BattleLog
2b) Decide what to play -- single player, multiplayer, or co-op
3) BF3 finally starts.

So BF3 is launched from the browser due to BattleLog being a launch point. This begs the question as to why Origin is even needed in the first place. Auto-updates? There are several other methods for which you can update a game and not even require Origin... or Steam.

The more EA moves toward making Origin their primary source for any EA-branded games, the less of a chance they're going to see a single penny from me. I've avoided NFS: The Run and Hot Pursuit... and since I have never touched Mass Effect, it won't bother me a single bit. Still, it irritates me on how little Origin is actually involved in how BF3 works... because it's 99% done via BattleLog and 1% done via Origin. Again I ask -- WHY???

Post subject: @OPEULA, too.I don't
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2012, 15:54 

@OP

EULA, too.

I don't trust EA after trying to legitimize installing a rootkit on my machine.
And I don't trust them not doing it again in the near future.

That sadly means I'll have to pass on Mass Effect 3. Passing on Dragon Age 3 is easy, given how abysmal DA2 turned out.

FUS RO DAH!

Shaolin style

PostPosted: 17 Jun 2014, 13:55 

I hate origin thin client because it has just auto updated itself and now none of my Origin or EA games work Grrr.

I've tried all the help ideas on their forums turning off windows firewall, put port forwarding on my modem for all the ports they ask for, deleted cache's, downloaded older versions and re installed and still can't get connection. Yet their servers say they have no problems, and I can log into my account via browser but not via their client. I'm running Win 7 64bit with Eyefinity and AMD processors and a fibre broadband connection. Does anyone know what's going on? Any help gratefully received, please.