Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 03:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 01:54 

I've been thinking about getting Driver San Francisco after the writers of Valve unanimously praised it's writing and surprising fun. But my past experience with driving games have always been somewhat "meh". The only ones I really played were arcadey ones like mario kart. I always found the actual driving experience to be mundane. To be fair, I don't enjoy driving in real life either, but I was wondering how much having a driving wheel contributes to the driving experience. I have a 360 pad I can hook up, and I typically find that better than KB/M. I have an eyefinity setup, so FOV is no longer a bothering issue.

I don't really know where to get a wheel for trial, as none of my friends are really into driving games either. Maybe I should just try to find an arcade and play a sim in one of those? But they also have the rocking chair, and I have no plans on getting one of those any time soon.

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2012, 12:18 
Editors
Editors

You don't realy like driving in RL but you think buying a Wheel will help for computer Games?
Well i got a wheel short time ago. It's Awesome! But i don't realy Like Racing games.... Now i got a wheel but i dont playe more than before.... Not sure if its gonna Help in your Case.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2012, 21:51 

I'd say a forcefeedback wheel is fantastic for driving games
but do not buy one for driver san francisco its not a great experience

If you do decide to buy one read this
http://widescreengamingforum.com/forum/forums/gaming/general-gaming-discussions/20045/best-racing-wheel-pc

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2012, 16:22 
Insiders
Insiders

Driving simulators and games trying to cater to both the sim and arcade crowd generally benefit from using a force feedback wheel. But, lots of strictly arcade-style driving games are designed with a gamepad in mind rather than a wheel. These games typically play worse with a wheel than with a gamepad. Since you mentioned Driver specifically, I'd recommend playing with the pad instead of a wheel. I've played with both a 360 pad and a Logitech G27 wheel and it's obvious that the game is made to be played with the pad. The steering is much more responsive and satisfying with the pad than it is with the wheel.

Here are some of my favorites that work best with a wheel:

• iRacing

• Dirt 3

• Dirt 2

• GRID

• F1 2010

• Need for Speed: Shift

• Shift 2

And here are a few that I've found work better with a gamepad:

• Driver San Francisco

• Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

• Burnout Paradise

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2012, 17:57 
Insiders
Insiders

The bottom line is: If you like sim-racing get a wheel controller - you wont regret it... If you like arcade-racing dont waste your money and get a controller.
I got Logitech DFGT and i must say its gr8 - I was actually thinking of getting G27 - but decided more buttons>H-shifter ... and since G27s shifters is only 6 geared - no much use for it since lots of racing games got cars with 7 or more gearboxes...

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2012, 05:02 

Sry for the late response, but thx for the input guys. I'll save my money for something else then.

PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 21:31 
Insiders
Insiders

Topic is finished but I'm going to go ahead and add here. I got a G25 used off Craigslist. It comes down to two basic things, are you an arcade racing game fan or a racing simulator fan? If you like to put the car in manual and turn off traction control, then I'd suggest a wheel. I think of Driver as a bit more of an arcade game. Codemasters titles usually have good physics.. There's also iRacing. Those sorts of games require a wheel.

Post subject: Zencyde wrote:Topic is
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2012, 22:49 

Topic is finished but I'm going to go ahead and add here. I got a G25 used off Craigslist. It comes down to two basic things, are you an arcade racing game fan or a racing simulator fan? If you like to put the car in manual and turn off traction control, then I'd suggest a wheel. I think of Driver as a bit more of an arcade game. Codemasters titles usually have good physics.. There's also iRacing. Those sorts of games require a wheel.

x2. I like arcade over full on sims (because i suck) so i use a wireless 360 pad that does the job just fine for games like need for speed and that new ridge racer.

On twitter @Xenokilla

Check my game reviews and other vids http://www.youtube.com/xenokillaoftaw