Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 09:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 148  Next
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 12:11 
Insiders
Insiders

I had never considered that before.

I'll look into it, though. The biggest issue would be plugin configuration. I suppose I could make it only show games that have already been configured in the list.

However, I do feel that I need to change something with the current setup. Too many people are just downloading Widescreen Fixer, picking a game from the list, and expecting it to just work. They don't know about configuring the plugin. Something needs to be changed to make it easier and more noticeable.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2012, 04:39 
Insiders
Insiders

Maybe a large-ish, yellow message Saying "Configure Plugin" in the Status area or something? Something hard to miss.

Post subject: I subscribe
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 00:17 

I subscribe

[CENTER]AsusRIIEXG-core i7 920 4312mhz 1.3376v-ocz Blade-Noctua NH-U12P-ssd intel 80G x25-M G2--3 HD 7200rpm raid 0--Lian Li Lancool k62-Lamptron FC6--Corsair AX850--Gainward GTX 480 SLI ready--Asus VG236HE 120hz 3D Vision Surround --G15-G500--Netgear DG834 v4--win7.64[/CENTER]

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 23:53 

FYI Dopefish, the current SVN (v3.1 r398) does not launch at all on my PC (Win 7 Pro X64). I reran the .Net 4.0 and Visual C installers to be sure there were up to date.
The previous version I have (v3.0.291) launches fine.

Post subject: Sadly the latest version
PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012, 20:35 

Sadly the latest version ( 3.1 r400) is exactly the same. Double click to run, nothing seems to happen, a icon appears on taskbar, but when you mouse over it, it disappears as the executable has already crashed in the background.

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 23:21 

And...I'm having the same problem also, sadly for me, I have no older version that works. I do get the Window screen notiying me that Widescreen Fixer has stopped woking and offering to check online for a solution. Anywhere to download oder versions?

Post subject: OK - update - found old
PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012, 23:45 

OK - update - found old versions (Google is your friend), downloaded and ran version 3.0.307 which runs great. I too had ran the Visual C x64 and x86 installers and repaired the .Net 4.0 installation (Vista x64). But hey I'm good here now. Thanks for all your work.

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2012, 00:29 

Quick question, how come you guys dont open source the fixer? Just want an honest answer, I think the community would benefit a lot from contributions from other coders, maybe using something like github where you guys approve certain changes to be promoted to the main trunk.

Is it already open source, if it is, how do I go about downloading the latest revision?

I have some ideas on initial configuration, maybe showing a wizard asking the user to select hotkey on first run of the program/ etc.

Thank you in advance for an honest answer.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2012, 13:28 
Insiders
Insiders

For those getting crashes on launch, can you please go to your Event Viewer and find the application crash for both Widescreen Fixer and .NET Runtime. Paste me the error under the .NET Runtime entry.

how come you guys dont open source the fixer?

There hasn't ever really been a need to. Finding and making hacks for games can be done by anyone with Cheat Engine (or any other) memory editor and debugger. Widescreen Fixer simply provides a package that allows configuration. There are constant ongoing changes to the API and it's always evolving. By having it closed source it causes people interested to get in contact with me. Once someone gets in contact with me I can help them get a plugin going and get it committed to SVN where it can be more easily maintained by me.

If you would like to get SVN access and/or help develop plugins then get something going in Cheat Engine for a game and get in contact with me.

I have some ideas on initial configuration, maybe showing a wizard asking the user to select hotkey on first run of the program/ etc.

I reject the wizard approach. I want to make configuration as transparent as possible. My goal is to eventually just have everything work with no configuration necessary. A user will simply launch Widescreen Fixer, start any supported game, and Widescreen Fixer will take care of the rest. From here, if a user is not happy with the auto-detection then they can optionally configure it.

Widescreen Fixer Twitter - https://twitter.com/widescreenfixer
Personal Twitter - https://twitter.com/davidrudie

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2012, 16:44 

My issue with crash on launch is fixed. After my last post I started having major gpu issues beginning with worsening autocad hangs, then artifacts in videos, then bsod's - thought my hd5870 was going down the toilet and started researching the warranty. Then I opened the computer case took the HD5870 out, blew out all the dust, reseated the HD5870, reseated the cpu cooler fan so it didn't ride on the ram stick below it, uninstalled catalyst 12.2, ran Driver Sweeper, installed Catalyst 12.1/12.1 cap3 and everything worked fine and has for the past couple of days. Saw Dopefish's request for Event Viewer error codes, downloaded and installed WideScreenFixer 3.1r400 and WAA LAA it runs and works great. What was the problem? I have no idea, but I suspect it was either a bad Catalyst 12.2 install or Catalyst 12.2 itself was the problem. Anyway, I'm a really happy camper now and not going back to Catalyst 12.2 no way. Thanks for your work Dopefish - hope mattsimis gets his issues fixed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1475 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 120 ... 148  Next