Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 27 Sep 2024, 16:31

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: BF 1942 / Vietnam
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2004, 18:22 

:D I would say "that's cheatin'!" but whatever works. :wink: And that's a pretty big OC for a laptop... how much hotter is it running?

I think you jinxed me shifter! :) After I wrote that post last night, I fired up BFV and started getting artifacts.. :( So now I'm back down to 342/240 stable... (still not too shaby)

As for heat, just doing inernet and word doc stuff, it doesn't get very hot, but when editing in flash or playing a game, it always got pretty warm from the first day I got it so it's really hard to tell. I only game for about an hour or two at a time when I do on the laptop, so I don't push it for hours on end at like a lan party or something. Plus, I bought one of those aluminum Antec laptop tray cooler thingys and that seems to make it less hot... Unfortunately, with no way to mount an internal thermometer, I'll never know when too hot is indeed too hot...

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2004, 18:24 

And I got the idea to OC that far from a guy on Rage3D.com that claimed the GPU in this R3000T is a 9600 Pro that's actually underclocked to make it more stable. Who knows, but I bumped it up incrementally and sure enough, it capped out last night at 354/240!!

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2004, 18:44 

hey guys, i have a dell inspiron 8500 laptop and i use a program i8kfan. its a GUI that was made for this line of computers specifically so i dont know if it will work on anything else. but maybe someone knows of a program out there that you can use to see the actual temperature of the computer. the fans are regulated by internal temperatures that the BIOS is aware of, so maybe theres some sort of program for your computer that is able to get that information. I have this beast overclocked a bit and it runs warm when doing normal things like web browsing or what not but i made sure that even overclocked, my temperatures didnt reach 75 degrees. I think this is an overly cautious threshhold for temperature, but i get pretty good performance out of it so there no need to push it past what you are comfortable with.
layter

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2004, 21:39 
Editors
Editors

I think you jinxed me shifter! :)

Sorry! :lol: I didn't mean to! :)

After I wrote that post last night, I fired up BFV and started getting artifacts.. :( So now I'm back down to 342/240 stable... (still not too shabby)

Indeed not. That's still a pretty drastic OC. For a laptop, anyway. I'm too nervous with my equipment to oveclock. If I fried it by accident, I don't have enough money to replace what gets cooked. :wink:

As for heat, just doing inernet and word doc stuff, it doesn't get very hot, but when editing in flash or playing a game, it always got pretty warm from the first day I got it so it's really hard to tell. I only game for about an hour or two at a time when I do on the laptop, so I don't push it for hours on end at like a lan party or something. Plus, I bought one of those aluminum Antec laptop tray cooler thingys and that seems to make it less hot... Unfortunately, with no way to mount an internal thermometer, I'll never know when too hot is indeed too hot...

True. Well, if it doesn't obviously toast, then it should be OK. :wink:

Oh yeah... Nutty... you're right: the I8Kfangui program only works with the Dell's. I don't know if there is anything available that similar for HP laptops or anything, but I tried out MotherBoard Monitor, and it had no idea what any of the fans or temps were. :(

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2004, 22:59 

hey Paradigm shifter, you have anything to do with that Paradigm Shift Battlefield 1942 server??

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2004, 12:40 

dripgoss

Nice work on finding the FOV thing , your setting work great for me!

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2004, 13:49 
Editors
Editors

hey Paradigm shifter, you have anything to do with that Paradigm Shift Battlefield 1942 server??

No, sorry. :wink:

Don't play BF1942. Don't have the money to run any servers, either. :lol:

I occasionally (read: very occasionally) played Unreal 2 Extended Multiplayer, and you used to be able to find me on a couple of Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight servers... but that was a long time ago. I tend to play offline now... mainly because I've not had the time to play, and have got crap. :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2004, 03:00 

BF:V runs perfectly in 16x9 when i set it to 1360x768 in my .con files.

3d isnt stretched, everything is perfectly proportional.

2d is stretched, but i'm not worried about it.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2004, 15:35 

BF:V runs perfectly in 16x9 when i set it to 1360x768 in my .con files.

3d isnt stretched, everything is perfectly proportional.

2d is stretched, but i'm not worried about it.

How are you getting that to work?

Everytime I try that res in BFV it goes back to the default 800X600 when it starts, also tried it BF1942 and the same thing happens. I even tred to change the res in the default videocustom.con to 1360X768 and it still starts up at 800X600. The closest thing to wide I can get is 1280X960.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2004, 21:53 

Are you write protecting the files after you edit them? If not, I think BFV/1942 tries to default them again...

I'm playing BFV currently at 1680x1050x32bit (not stretched) with grfx on low and getting around 45fps. The only thing that's anoying is the 2D stretch...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next