Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 20 Sep 2024, 20:17

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ground Control...
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2008, 07:48 

...the original: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/groundcontrol/index.html?tag=result;title;0

I know that there wasn't a solution for this one at all, but I am also aware that there have been some recent successes with other, older, and heretofore unbroken games (the Infinity Engine and the Dark Engine, to name but two), so...I have my hopes.

Anybody know anything? I (as I'm sure many of you) am terribly enamored of this frakking game - it was (and still *is*!) a trendsetter and a groundbreaking paradigm.

But I would love to play the old horse in widescreen. Or, at least, at any resolution beyond ye olde Brobdingnagian 1024 x 768. *sniff*

Yours,
me :D

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2008, 02:30 

Might be a pipe dream but I share it with you, the original Ground Control fills several holes in my heart that World in Conflict can't. Too bad the skill required to edit engines like people have done with the Dark Engine and the Infinity engine is so rare. Still in awe over those feats, really.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2008, 02:37 

...to major tom.

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Post subject: Oh, God...
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2008, 08:45 

...Dem Pyros, it took me a minute, but I *got* it!

Nice callback there, my friend. Nicely done, indeed.

Now somebody get me a widescreen hack for the game, gawdammit! :D

*whimpers in sweet reverie*

Post subject: So, then...
PostPosted: 13 Sep 2008, 06:21 

...no joy for my Ground Control wishes?

I am sad.

But...methinks I'll suffer with 1024 x 768 and replay the game anyways! :D

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2008, 11:21 

I gave it a shot today but I didn't have much luck.

I'd change 640x480 to 1440x900 and it would default back to 1024x768 because of some system put into place that only allows 640, 800, and 1024. I was actually able to get past that, and I even had the game starting up in 1440 at one point (I don't even remember what it was that I changed specifically because I changed so much), but it crashed to the desktop before the intro movies played, anyway.

Since then the best I can do is get it to crash with one of a variety of error messages regarding an "invalid resolution" or some such.

So, sorry I couldn't help you. Maybe someone with more talent than I can figure it out. I'll keep it installed anyway and mess with it later.

I never got around to playing this one, but I downloaded it when it was released as freeware a few years ago.

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 04:16 

Boo Tx! Holy shit - thankyouthankyouthankyou for even trying!

I'm sorry for taking a year to revisit this thread, but after the initial failure...I gave up for a while.

Now, just over a year later, I (yep - you guessed it!) got an urge to reinstall the game, and, of course, I'm wondering if anyone out there might have/have had some luck with this awesome old gem.

Anybody? Anyone? If anyone with the appropriate skill set wants a challenge and needs a copy of the game, Boo Tx was right - it's free to download now, so...

Anybody Anyone? Beuller? Beuller?

:D

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2009, 04:22 

And, ya know, the recent coup with Starcraft gives me great gouts of hope: I mean, c'mon - if some brave wayfarer broke through the Blizzard wall, what can stop us now?! :D