Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 12:19

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Prince Of Persia (4)
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2009, 22:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Ehm.. yes well, i didn't count the early 2d and the crappy 3d version

Just saying that if you're counting, you should count all of them.

Also, Prince of Persia 3D is a lot better than its reputation indicates - everyone dismisses it as total crap, but no one's actually played it. Its only real problems were bugginess and really long loading times. The bugs were eventually fixed with patches, and the long loading times are reduced to seconds on today's computers. It's actually quite a decent 3D platformer, with really interesting levels, great visuals, and one of the best melee combat engines ever featured in a 3D game.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 07:56 

Ok, so i've just attempted your suggestions. The first one didn't work cause i could not find the tab you mentioned in my dxdiag menu...

Don't have it either, I'm guessing it's no longer available in vista/w7 or just updated out of the most recent directx runtimes.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 09:55 

Ehm.. yes well, i didn't count the early 2d and the crappy 3d version

Just saying that if you're counting, you should count all of them.

Also, Prince of Persia 3D is a lot better than its reputation indicates - everyone dismisses it as total crap, but no one's actually played it. Its only real problems were bugginess and really long loading times. The bugs were eventually fixed with patches, and the long loading times are reduced to seconds on today's computers. It's actually quite a decent 3D platformer, with really interesting levels, great visuals, and one of the best melee combat engines ever featured in a 3D game.

Yes you are correct. But it doesn't really add much to this thread imo.

Also, i've played Pop 3D and didn't like it at all. I bought it when it came out. Was disapointed. Don't think i'll like it better now. There may be some sentiment there, but that's about it.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 18:42 

Like most games, some like it, some don't. I don't, I never even played the full game, I tried the demo and when I couldn't get to the end because the controls are total crap, I gave up.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:32 
Insiders
Insiders

If you're talking about PoP3D, the controls were greatly improved with patches. They're still a bit tricky compared to modern 3D platformers, but they're similar to the original Tomb Raider. A bit better, in fact - the more tedious aspects of Tomb Raider were lining up your jumps with pixel-perfect precision, while in PoP3D the prince will automatically lengthen or shorten the lengths of his jumps so he always lands at exactly where it is you are trying to go.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 19:58 

It was a demo for sands of time I think.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2009, 20:08 
Insiders
Insiders

I have almost never heard any criticism of Sands' controls whatsoever, and the very rare criticism I do hear is that the controls are too forgiving.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 01:44 

Maybe it was the lack of instructions in the demo vs the full game but all I remember is I couldn't get up a ledge no matter what I did. It just spun the camera around and I was stuck below. So I gave up and deleted the demo.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 02:10 
Insiders
Insiders

Well, when the camera does stuff on its own, that means that there's a certain route you're "supposed" to take. If the camera moves to an angle that makes it hard to gauge a jump to a certain ledge, then you're probably not supposed to jump to that particular ledge.

PostPosted: 05 Aug 2009, 06:57 

I never had any issius with the controls either. But i do remember the camera doing something i didn't want it to do once or twice. But overall, i think it was a great game.