Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 18:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 00:05 

[quote]I'm doing ok with a single HD5850 at 5040x1050, haven't tried turning on AA yet.

I've got PhysX turned all the way up and I'm not getting any undue stuttering... but then, I have a GTX260 installed in the slot below my HD5850, acting as a dedicated PhysX card :mrgreen:

Question how you configure the nvidia card to be a dedicated physx on a ATI vid system?
Here you go, Hybrid PhysX Mod: http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/17706-hybrid-physx-mod-v1-03-v1-04ff.html

Basically, all you have to do is install your AMD and Nvidia drivers normally, then run the Hybrid PhysX Patch v1.04ff.

To get Alice to use the dedicated PhysX card instead of defaulting to CPU PhysX, be sure to rename "PhysXDevice.dll" to "PhysXDevice.bak" in your "...alice madness returnsBinariesWin32" folder.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 03:51 

I just want to say THANK YOU for making this program. I've been desperately searching for a fix to the letterboxing rendering problem since the game came out. For some reason I never thought to look here *doh*

Two issues though:

First, the FOV Fix pretty much doubles the CPU usage of the game and seems to drastically change the balance between cores. It makes the game run really poorly on my computer because of this, but luckily I don't need the FOV fix because I only have a single monitor.

Second, the program states that the aspect fix should remove the letterboxing, yet the letterboxing is still present when I use it. The aspect fix works wonders though :D

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 04:49 

The nvidia physx did not turn out to well :(, but I found out the Mighty 970 Hex @ 4.2 GHz is more then capable of handling Ageia physx. i get some studddering when in some big fights while physx is set to max. may reduce it a bit to med.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 11:10 

The nvidia physx did not turn out to well :(, but I found out the Mighty 970 Hex @ 4.2 GHz is more then capable of handling Ageia physx. i get some studddering when in some big fights while physx is set to max. may reduce it a bit to med.

What went wrong?

...you do have an Nvidia card installed in addition to your ATi card, right? Kinda need that for hardware accelerated physX >_>

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 11:33 

Just to stay on-topic on the off-topic physx. You guys might want to read this article and consider if you really want to pay nvidia to get a new gpu: http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/nvidia-purposefully-hobbles-physx-cpu/

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 14:55 

Just to stay on-topic on the off-topic physx.
Discussing PhysX seems on-topic to me, considering the game this thread is about uses PhysX...

If you have a decent spare Nvidia card just sitting around, it's at least worth a shot setting it up as a PhysX accelerator to get the most out of Alice.

You guys might want to read this article and consider if you really want to pay nvidia to get a new gpu: http://semiaccurate.com/2010/07/07/nvidia-purposefully-hobbles-physx-cpu/
That article is known to be sensationalist, and greatly overstates the performance gain you would get by recompiling PhysX for SSE. The article claims a 20% speedup, when in reality it's more like 8% (and only in some circumstances).

Besides that, the version of PhysX that runs in software on your CPU was coded entirely by AGEIA (when this article was written, Nvidia had hardly altered a single line of code), which means optimization issues like using X87 instead of SSE were there before Nvidia even got their hands on it. Since then, they've done some work optimizing the mess they inherited from AGEIA.

More recent versions of PhysX are compiled for SSE, and we have seen an ~8% speedup for it. A decent GPU still ends up being substantially faster than your average quad core CPU due to how parallel GPU architectures are.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 14:59 
Insiders
Insiders

If you have the extra GPU or can get one cheap it's noticeable it for the games that use it.

Get alot more FPS with my gts450 running physX.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2011, 16:09 

Hello, I wonder if you'll have to solve the problem of monitors with 16:10 aspect. Or there will be a solution to this problem?
Thank you!

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 14:05 
Founder
Founder

Yeah ... I don't think I'm going to bother with an extra gpu for the entire total of 5 games that support physx

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2011, 19:04 

Hello, I wonder if you'll have to solve the problem of monitors with 16:10 aspect. Or there will be a solution to this problem?
Thank you!

Well the big problem (rendering bug) is fixed by the Flawless Widescreen program, the only thing that's left is letterboxing which honestly is a minor issue compared to what's already been fixed. It would still be awesome if someone could find a way to eliminate it, but I expect it is a more complicated problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next