Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 21 Aug 2024, 22:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2008, 01:05 

Just downloaded from Steam tonight. Took about 45 minutes.

First it updated MS .Net 2.0...

Ran a PunkBuster diag (for multiplayer)...

Showed this for about 5 seconds...

Then finally the activation. Pasted in the serial....

...5 seconds later it's done with. Ready to play!

Lengthy DRM chat for this game is found HERE so for the lengthy discussion on the why and how and right/wrong factor of the DRM you may want to pick it up there. But for the record, here's Ubi's official info on their DRM for this game:

- You have 5 activations on 3 separate PCs.

- Uninstalling the game "refunds" an activation (this process is called "revoke"). As long as you complete a proper uninstall, you will be able to install the game an unlimited number of times on 3 different systems simultaneously.

- You can upgrade your computer as many times as you want (using our revoke system).

- Ubisoft is committed to the support of our games, and additional activations can be provided on a case-by-case basis.

- Ubisoft is committed to the long term support of our games: you'll always be able to play Far Cry 2!

Game started up fine. Sees widescreen resolutions right away. Nothing looks stretched but it's possible it's vert -

(cropped to hide serial number that popped up)

When choosing the "Story Mode" (e.g. single player), however I couldn't get past the loading screens without downgrading the graphics to "Medium." No idea why. Going higher would cause a crash to desktop with no error messages, just a simple crash. I've put in a support to ticket to Ubi's official desk: farcrygame.com/help.

Update 1: Tried it a 3rd time and the game does finally load on "High". Haven't tried to go higher yet. FWIW I'm using the Far Cry 2 "optimized" drivers released by NVIDIA yesterday.

BTW, any one know the code to "center" text/images in this version of the forum software? I think I tried

and

but no go.

Post subject: Far Cry 2
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2008, 18:59 

You know I can't help but remember back to when I was planning the purchase of the analog triplehead that I'd read somewhere the SLI as a concept itself was limited to a 4.* MP resolution. I'm guessing this wouldn't be the first attempt for you to get to that resolution with that card in a 3d game so it must be either worked-around by now or I'm just imagining things.

Its just still fresh in my mind the thoughts of what monitor solution to use with it and while contemplating why a WS trio would work and ran across that information somewhere. There were three factors in concluding the 1280x1024x3 was a great trio, like the DVI ports themselves were hitting a wall, the triplehead's roof was that and SLI wouldn't go above it either.