Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 13:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Choosing monitors
PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 22:04 

Hello WSGF.
I am new here, which the quick of you guys probably will notice on my post-count :)

My name is Sune, I live in Denmark! (:
- I'm a techenthuiast! :P

I got to use the span feature of Windows XP for a month, but then switched to Vista as of being a developer required me to keep up with the standard.
With Vista I degraded my system, threw one monitor 17" monitor to my sister, and gave my secondary graphics card to a familymember as a birthdaypresent. That left me with 2 monitors, non-spanned.

Well I'm back in business, I'm in love with the TripleHead2Go Digital Edition ! ;D

That was just a little about me :) Now here's the serious part where I ask silly questions:

I don't pay for power myself, but yet I feel it my duty to buy energi efficient hardware - that is the future and then I do my part for the enviroment. Except for that, I have alot of great support with these guys. Yep, I'm talking about Dell.

I've been looking through Dell monitors and the 22" G2210 seems very great - love's in the air<3!
Dell G2210 22": http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7958

This monitor uses extremely low energy, because of LED technology and then it uses sensors to set the displaysettings accordingly to the surrounding room light.

I've also been looking at the 20" E2009. It is smaller, but it supports 1680x1050 and x3 of them then I don't think those small inches matters.
E2009: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-7085

This monitor uses double power (Watts), but it doesn't come with fancy features neither.

The 22" G2210 costs 33% more than the 20" E2009, and those expenses would be earned back in power savings after three years (lol).

I wouldn't bet on earning the energy savy monitor home, but - reviews give me the idea that the 22" G2210 has a lovely picture and is much more nice to look at because of the sensors.

If this is correct (gaming) then I'm ready to buy this more expensive monitor.

But I'm a little afraid to buy this monitor aswell - the sensor could be a pain, turning up and down and up and down, and having three of them, they (who knows?!) maybe switch to different settings, so having three different looking monitors. Then that would be a total waste, and maybe this LED backlight isn't worth anything good.

What do you guys think would be the better for a TripleHead2Go solution? :)

Also a quickie question - what kind of graphics card does it take to run 5040x1050 smoothly? And should i be concerned if the TH2Go will be supported on Win7?

Kind Regards, Sune.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2009, 22:19 

just a sidenote since I saw you talking about energy efficiency

Energy efficiency is more important for oneself than the environment, if one want to get world scaled energy efficiency & overall environmental impact, you have to factor in the production energy + waste ...

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 00:04 
Insiders
Insiders

Well I'd certainly go for the 22" setup.

Why the concern for power consumption?Z Is your power trationed or are you on solar power or something of the like? If you want to lessen pwer usage, threre are better things to do than smaller displays...

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 05:19 

I don't really have any advice, but I noticed recently that 16:10 has just completely vanished from every retail store on the planet.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 12:43 

Well maybe I'm using the energy thing as an excuse to buy Dell montors since I like the design and they have neat features. (The LED backlightning on Dell G2210 I heard to be great)

So is there any monitor that would better for the triplehead solution?

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 18:51 

I was wondering if I should just go with some cheap Samsung Synchmaster T220? Its 25% cheaper than the LED-thing from Dell, but except for the crappy looks on the samsung and the factor 4 energy difference, is there any other major difference I do not notice? :)

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2009, 22:43 

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-358-3448-36.html

though if you buy the T220 verify the panel type, some shops are buying off country and in some countries (probably china) the T220 has a bad quality CMO panel ... In any case samsung said that the warranty applies.

That aside I don't know about the G2210 but LED displays are supposed to have wider "color range" (gamut) better black depth & better luminosity evenness.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 13:01 

After finding the two Samsung monitors I had in mind in the thread with monitors not working on triplehead, I decided to go for the Dell G2210.

It's lotsa expensive, but the money will be earned back in power savings after just 2 years of my general usage :)

And damn, the LED's contrast of 1.000.000:1 just seems amazing :)

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 15:03 

And damn, the LED's contrast of 1.000.000:1 just seems amazing :)

don't be fooled by the numbers this is done without correct color calibration
and dynamic contrast activated (which is the worse monitor feature I know of)

that said it is true that LED's contrast is better ...

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2009, 15:15 
Editors
Editors

It's lotsa expensive, but the money will be earned back in power savings after just 2 years of my general usage :)

:?: Are you a member of greenpeace or what ?