Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 01:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2010, 20:43 

Silent Hill 4 is getting dated, but that doesn't mean it's forgotten. Only recently have I begun to play the Silent Hill franchise and now I want to play Silent Hill 4. The only problem being that my native resolution is 1366x768 and the only supported resolutions by Silent Hill 4 are not widescreen. I did searches to look for a solution and they all referenced a post about Need for Speed and Artmoney. From what I can tell this method does work, however for me it did not, so I found a similar method that works for me and probably for anyone who had problems with artmoney. (This method is uses Cheat Engine which, unlike Artmoney, never nags you to buy a full edition.)

First thing you will need to do is download Cheat Engine from this link http://www.cheatengine.org/downloads.php

You must also have Silent Hill 4: The Room already installed.

First, start up Silent Hill 4 (You do not have to be in game, this can be done from the main menu as well)

After making sure that it is currently outputting a resolution of 640 x 480 (default) minimize it and open up Cheat Engine

Select the SILENT HILL 4.exe process from the top left button and type the width value (640 in this case) into the text box and click the First Scan Button, this will list many variables containing the number 640, two of them represent your width. We can separate these two by changing the game's resolution to 1024x768 from the in-game menu like below.

After you have done this, type 1024 in the text box of Cheat Engine and click Next Search, this will highlight two variables in green, double-click them both so that they appear in the bottom list.

Change the value of the two variables to your screen's width (in my case 1366) and then re-open the game. The game's resolution should now match your screen's.*

NOTE: This method results in a Stretch type of widescreen display, meaning that the FOV is unchanged.

*If your resolution height is NOT 768 then you must repeat the process for the game's height