Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 19 Sep 2024, 13:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DogFighter
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2010, 21:59 
Editors
Editors

Flight game, on sale on Steam for $1.50 !!

There is also a demo.

I got the demo to test for eyefinity support and it does pick up the resolution fine, and lets you select generic FOV's but it seems the HUD zooms in and the game just stretches.

I tried to find a config file to set the FOV manually, the only thing I found with my little search as a config file where it had the FOV listed as 16:10 when I changed it to an eyefinity setting the game would not start giving me a file integrity error :/

I do not think the variable I edited was a true edit but rather just a list of menu options, there is probably a file that has to be edited in a more advanced manner to get the FOV right.

But hey for $1.50 or free if you just want to mess with the demo I would be happy to see one of you more experienced guys take a crack at it.

Update: With the help of GeneralAdmission I have FOV hack working via memory editor. Have not really played the game yet just been testing. A file integrity checker has been blocking my progress from doing anything else so far.

Update 2: Got a video with both FOV & Aspect Ratio fixes in place. Looks pretty good now. Thanks to GeneralAdmission he did most of the brain work.

Post subject: Re: DogFighter
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 00:31 
Editors
Editors

I posted a plea to the developers on the Steam forums:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538659

Hopefully they will take interest in making a fix. If not I don't know if I can produce a working end-user solution due to the integrity checks (boo hiss); someone like Dopefish would probably need to step in.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 06:21 
Insiders
Insiders

I also bought it during the steam sale and was sad to find out it doesnt like eyefinity

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 11:06 
Editors
Editors

I'll agree that EyeFinity shouldn't be a big problem. TrackIR, though... that's a toughie.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2010, 23:32 
Editors
Editors

Is that screenshot yours General?

I dont mind reg edit and memory edit for now as a temp placeholder.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 00:04 
Editors
Editors

Is that screenshot yours General?

Yeah that's my shot. The reg edit is easy--just find the aspect ratio key for the game and change it to a surround value (eg. 48:9, 4:1, 15:4).

The memory edit is harder. Finding and changing the FOV value is easy, but even when the value is locked or frozen by the memory app/trainer, the game fights to overwrite the address with the default FOV, creating a rapid herky-jerky zoom in/out effect. Very unplayable. Fixing this is beyond my ability, so someone like Dopefish would have to tackle the problem.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 00:21 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Is that screenshot yours General?

Yeah that's my shot. The reg edit is easy--just find the aspect ratio key for the game and change it to a surround value (eg. 48:9, 4:1, 15:4).

The memory edit is harder. Finding and changing the FOV value is easy, but even when the value is locked or frozen by the memory app/trainer, the game fights to overwrite the address with the default FOV, creating a rapid herky-jerky zoom in/out effect. Very unplayable. Fixing this is beyond my ability, so someone like Dopefish would have to tackle the problem.

Yeah, what kind of searching did you do to key in on the FOV value? Thats where I was stuck.

Maybe if I can have my old abilities kick in and I can look at the memory table and trace back the dependents and find the variable that is trying to refresh the FOV. Then again probably not lol since I have not done anything like this in a long time.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 00:42 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, what kind of searching did you do to key in on the FOV value? Thats where I was stuck.

Maybe if I can have my old abilities kick in and I can look at the memory table and trace back the dependents and find the variable that is trying to refresh the FOV. Then again probably not lol since I have not done anything like this in a long time.

The game doesn't load the FOV into memory until a level loads. Default FOV is 90 (float), but as soon as I chose my plane and started flying it dropped to 82 (probably because the engine is Vert- for wider ARs and all surround resolutions default to 16:9). So:

-launch in a surround res
-start flying
-pause game, memory search for 82 (should be a few dozen values at most IIRC)
-switch to game, punch the booster with W and immediately pause again
-memory sub-search for an increased value. The boost will increase FOV into the high 80's. Actually, you might be able to see the specific FOV address in the address list without even doing a search.
-now you can set the FOV to whatever you want (as seen in my screenshot)

If you can find a solution for the FOV refresh behavior that would solve things. I'd be very interested in hearing the solution, as I'm still a relative padawan at the memory-editing trade. ;)

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 12:59 
Editors
Editors

Its a way where you trace back the address that writes to the one your editing.

A good editor will trace it back to the very core and write some kind of new code. A novice like me will try to just fill it with a null value and see if it works :D

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2010, 13:20 
Editors
Editors

hehe worked a charm :D

No issues I just traced back the first thing that wrote to the FOV code and replaced it will null script.

My guess is like you said certain things make the FOV change like boosting, probably certain maneuvers. I think what I did will make the FOV permanent.

I did not find the reg key I just tried this on a single screen right now, probably didnt have the reg key populated yet since I just installed the game and started it for the first time.

Edit: yep had to play game, just found it default to 16:10 not sure what to use for my bezel comp resolution but I'll figure it out and make a youtube video here in a bit.

Edit 2: If I change the fov in the registry I get the verification error :/ However I cant wrap my head around why you need to edit the aspect ratio & FOV isnt it just one or the other usually?

I went ahead and just played the tutorial with the FOV edit, encoding the video now.

Saved a table for CE to share but the address is not static, I can probably track it back to a static address if I take the time and refresh myself on how to do this stuff.

P.S. here is a screenshot of my regedit - http://lh4.ggpht.com/_nNcVLzdKf-c/TMrDv7r2FMI/AAAAAAAADb8/mObKuRCmDvk/DogFighter%20Reg%20Edit.jpg

Edit 3: Video Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oF9Q0xPfTDk

As long as youtube is nice to me and doesnt give me a failed to process error should be up soon.
is this what you changed? in this image it says 16:9