Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 30 Jun 2024, 22:34

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 02:09 

trigen, I can confirm a simular situation. I was able to get bezel comp enabled ONCE after messing around with GPU Scaling on 1 of my displays, then re-creating the group. However, for the life of me I can't get reproduce the effect (Rebooting killed it as well). Before I get too serious I'll list off my hardware:

2xHIS HD5770's in Crossfire Mode
2x SyncMaster B2230's (1 plugged straight DVI-D, the other is HDMI to DVI-D)
1x SyncMaster 2032gw (Displayport to VGA)

10.5 drivers.

Eyefinity enables just fine, but I'm in the same boat as everyone else on the bezel comp issue. I've tried flashing the EDID on my 2032gw but I cannot get the flash to take, even from the service menu (thus hopefully unlocking the EDID Write Capability). So without the option of updating my EDID data, I decided to remove pin 12 from a spare VGA cable, which effectively kills plug and play (DDC) . I'm grasping at straws here at this point.. but what really makes me mad is this. I've now seen my displays use bezel comp for a night (perfectly) which proves that this isn't an issue with the displays themselves.. it's a choice ATI decided to make in the hopes that we'd all go out and buy 3 new (Partner company) displays. I'm going to keep grinding here and hope ATI fixes this limitation before my patience runs out, I'll post any updates.

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 02:22 

I think I've got something here. Expanding on your tip trigen here's my exact steps:

1) Turn off GPU scaling on all displays. Disable any eyefinity groups.
2) Group your displays.
3) From Desktops & Displays I right clicked > configure on 1 of my DVI driven displays and noticed that it said "Digital Panel (DisplayPort) 1". Since this monitor is not plugged in via displayport I was a bit surprised to see it labeled this way, however I then enabled gpu scaling on that display, which caused eyefinity to shutdown and my displays to ungroup.
4) Re-group your displays and enjoy bezel comp.

I can only assume that this solution pivots on your ability to get eyefinity to disable itself, and in this case GPU scaling does that. Here's hoping this stays enabled.

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 06:48 

I just tried this myself. Didn't exactly work the same way, but I was able to get Bezel Compensation to work similarly. Here's what I did...

1. Made sure that GPU scaling was disabled on all displays.

2. Created an Eyefinity group.

3. Enabled GPU Scaling by clicking check box and leaving all other settings default. Enabling GPU Scaling did NOT ungroup my Eyefinity display.

4. Right clicked on the Eyefinity group in Desktops & Displays and amazingly enough, the Bezel Compensation option was there.

Now I don't know if it will hold on reboot, and its way too late to test it right now, but it definitely is working at the moment.

Btw, I'm running 2x Dell 2407WFP-HC's and 1 Dell 2408WFP.

Thanks for the info Freo and trigen. Good luck to everyone else!

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 08:50 

Holy cow, this actually works! Thanks guys, finally a solution! Time to test it out in-game :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 10:32 

Great news guys !this made my day.

Big thanks Freo and Srte4k for testing and clearing this up.

Nope it wont stick trough a reboot, i turned on my comp today and found bezel management gone, turned on gpu scaling on one monitor, nothing... scared! tried the second and voila its back. (the groups did not disable this time, the option just came on)

Community 1 ATI 0

Have a blast everyone
Trigen

PostPosted: 27 May 2010, 22:47 

I just booted my PC back up and my bezel management is still working! These drivers must be rather selective or something.

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 04:37 

I installed 10.5s

- Ungrouped
- Disabled GPU scaling for all 3 monitors
- Grouped
- Enabled scaling for a monitor I picked at random
- No ungrouping
- No bezel comp (I'm looking in desktops & displays, and right clicking the group. Not sure if thats where to look or not)

I'm running it in 3x1 portrait.

Monitors are:
Dell 2407WFP (DVI), 2408WFP (DP), Samsung 245T (DVI)

Any ideas? :(

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 10:53 

I'd say pick another monitor and try enabling scaling again. It only works with 1 of my displays.

Update: I did a little more sniffing around (comparing registry backups) and noticed something about what happens when bezel comp is enabled. When you enable GPU scaling you'll hear the windows "add new hardware" sound, the one you hear when you plug a USB drive in.. it indicates a driver has been installed. So I hunted around a bit and what seems to be happening is GPU scaling is disabling the EDID reporting on my displayport monitor, which then causes windows to install a "generic Pnp monitor" in place of my samsung driver. This only happens when bezel comp is enabled using the GPU scaling trick. The reason this seems to fail on reboot is because the video card re-detects the monitor as a samsung instead of the generic pnp monitor. So I tried installing the "generic pnp monitor" driver manually in place of my samsung drivers, unfortunately it didn't seem to fix it. So now that we know what's happening, how do we make it permanent?

Freo

Post subject: Bezel Management
PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 18:05 

I been monitoring this forum until now. I have 3 Dells, 24", 1920x1200, 2407WFP (DVI), 2407WFP-HC (DVI), and 2408WFP (DP). I am using Cat 10.5 & W7 64-bit. The above tricks don't work for me to get BM.

I ended up putting my DisplayPort monitor on the far left since when I have a group and I wave my mouse over the display icons on the bottom of Desktop & Displays screen it highlights the proper monitor above? I don't know if this accomplishes anything, is expected, or is just another Catalyst bug! Anybody else notice this being out of sync?

I would ask the people above if they are using the same driver on all 3 monitors? I have the correct driver/actual for each monitor. Is it the Generic Monitor driver for each monitor?

I did notice my 2408WFP driver getting swapped out to Generic as mention by Freo above.

I am also having Cat 10.5 locking up between profile swaps, it works well when I go thru the config changes manually. Anybody else having this problem?

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 22:15 

No luck.

I tried grouping with only 2 monitors too.

I'm going to try reinstalling the drivers.

When I mess with GPU scaling, I get the sound of plugging in and out a flash drive, but no prompty for new hardware.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next