Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 22:06

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2010, 20:37 

I believe it's a result of the FOV being portrayed by the game being significantly larger than what your FOV actually is relative to the screen real estate in your direct line of vision. We can really only see about 160 degrees total, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_field) so when the effective FOV being portrayed by a three monitor setup is above that, (which it almost always is) it will stretch and "fisheye" the picture.

I'm sure there is quite a bit more to it as well; rendering of a first person perspective game is quite oversimplified vs. one's real life vision system. Surely there are people here that understand it better than I.

I'm liking 60 vFOV setting on my 16:10x3 setup. Fisheye isn't too bad, and the middle isn't too tunneled.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2010, 10:23 

Now this thread needs bumping...... I have 3x5:4 monitors giving me 3840x1024 and with the default FOV=55 everything was short and squishy, so I dropped mine to 42, made it a bit fisheyed at the edges but the people got taller. I haven't tried a higher number, so I looking for some other peoples FOV setting for 3840x1024 ??? cheers

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 16:37 

i played round a bit with different FOV values and settled on vert FOV 60 for 16:10x3. Funnily enough it made my gaming a lot better, my accuracy improved 5x as did my K:D :cheers

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 16:59 

FOV=55 is way too magnified for me when using 2560x1600. I've been playing around with different ones. If I set it too high, then it becomes harder and harder to aim.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 17:22 
Editors
Editors

I guess because I never bothered to change it the default is just fine for me. I play well and dont feel like its vert- or anything.

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2010, 20:23 

i played round a bit with different FOV values and settled on vert FOV 60 for 16:10x3. Funnily enough it made my gaming a lot better, my accuracy improved 5x as did my K:D :cheers

I set mine to 65 recently after playing for a while at a much higher FOV and I experienced a jump in accuracy and kills. The issue with this game is that the view models don't scale with FOV, meaning you'll be looking down your iron sights thinking you're dead on when in fact the iron sights should be drawn completely differently for you due to your FOV. You can see why this would lead to problems with aiming at higher FOV.

This issue was "acknowledged" by DICE but they also said "remodeling is difficult at this time" as well. :doh Even though this version of the game was supposedly developed with PC in mind, the fact that they didn't even think to do this gives me that console-centric feeling that so many developers have.

By default at 5292x1050, my FOV was 58, so I figure changing it to 65 isn't that big of a deal, but it does help.