Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 06:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Mar 2010, 15:29 

Hey people,

I have the xfx 5850. Im running the latest drivers from ati. I have a weird problem and no its not related to the DP port (I fixed that one with the bios flash)

What happens is my third monitor hooked up via dvi goes to sleep. I play wow so when i start up the game the login screen is only using the middle monitor. Then i pick my toon. but when i get into the game My third monitor has fallen asleep and i have to cycle the power on it to wake it up.

Ive swapped the monitor with 4 other monitors as well as swapped the DVI-D cable for a different one. THe problem is limited to the monitor that is on the bottom dvi port. This problem also happens when im just on the windows desktop.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2010, 17:10 

Bumpity

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2010, 20:16 

Ok I would start by isolating the issue, switch your DVI monitors, see if the issue follows the port or the display. Also check if power management in Windows is not turning off the display after so long.

Edit: I Fail at reading the whole post

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 16:30 

Ok I would start by isolating the issue, switch your DVI monitors, see if the issue follows the port or the display. Also check if power management in Windows is not turning off the display after so long.

No Offense but did you even read the post.

Ive swapped out the MONITOR with FOUR other MONITORS problem still exists.
Ive swapped out the DVI CABLE with a FEW others.

But thanx for reading and responding

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2010, 20:01 

On my system (Windows 7) I did not see a way to adjust the power saving features on a per monitor basis but I currently have power management disabled so they never issue the suspend command. This may be a complication to your dvi port going low power mode but having issues trying to wake it back up. Try setting your system to never suspend the monitor and see if that helps.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 15:14 

Yeah i disabled all power saving features. Its weird that its only the bottom DVI port that does this... Really weird

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 13:47 

I seem to have this same issue, one of my screens keeps falling asleep only when displaying my windows 7 desktop. Not during games.

Details: 5770 running 3 19inch widescreens, 1 dell active DisplayPort adapter to DVI, 1 DVI to VGA via adapter and 1 DVI straight to monitor.

The screen that is falling asleep is not the primary display which i used to create the display group.
The screen that is falling asleep is the one connected on the dell active DisplayPort adapter.

I do not believe it is down to the adapter as it does not fall asleep during games, so far only while at my desktop after playing a game.

I shall try to isolate the problem by moving the connections around the various monitors.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 15:28 

WoW 160 views and nothing

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2010, 17:24 

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=123699

This users Solution to their "Problem 2" worked for me. I followed his steps and my 3rd screen has not dropped off to sleep since. I think this is a fix that'll work for a lot of people, but be aware that his numbers are for his card. Mine were different, as might yours be depending on if you overclock. The "want_0" values he suggested worked, and I might look at revising them again if i think it should be higher or lower for my card. Perhaps it should match the "Want_1" value?

This made my day. I've still got some tearing, but i'm sure as drivers mature that'll work itself out. At least i now know it is not my hardware.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2010, 08:07 

a couple of other considerations. What version of windows 7 are you using? 32 or 64 bit? What driver version are you using? Maybe the port is bad?

I am using atwo HD 5870's Crossfired with three 21.5 " montiors. Works great with driver version 9.12. I skipped a few months of driver upgrades, and just decided to try out the 10.3 from AMD recently. Some issue with those drivers and Windows 7 64 bit royally screwed my system. Was getting BSoD when I would boot and log into windows desktop after about a minute. It would memory dump and start a reboot. Would work in Safe mode, but you cant install catalyst from there, at least not easily. Had to reinstall Windows with Driver version 9.12, and works great again. My point is that it may be a combo of you OS with one of the newer driver versions. Could also be just a bad port. Hope you get it figured out!