Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 00:54 

Hey Johnny,
The main point of this is to get it working, I dont care whos wrong or whos right. I know what it feels like to have your beautiful setup marred by disgusting flicker. :twisted:

Ive never seen any active DP->DVI adapter work 100% for everyone, Ive searched on amazon, newegg, and various forums and there hasnt been a single one.
What I do see is various threads popping up with DP->VGA working for many more people.

Ive tried every single method to try to get eyefinity working flicker free and this is the one that has worked without a single hiccup since the second I installed it.

If I were U Id definitely give this a shot:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-51210-64268-1844682-64268-3895841-3895842-3895844.html?jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20DisplayPort%20To%20VGA%20Adapter&lang=en&cc=us

I know what you must be saying to yourself, "oh great not another method! :roll: "...Thats how I felt before I tried this adapter from HP. This one doesnt have a USB plug but still manages to be an active displayport adapter because there is a DAC inside the large plug. The video card is still outputting displayport signal, which is different from the adapter texastango used.

This is what I meant by making this a sticky, Im not saying to use the one texastango used, which is this one: a passive adapter

The one I used was this one, which is an active adapter as well

Just to be 100% clear, the flicker youre referring to is the one where your monitor goes black for half a second then goes back to normal then goes black again a few times in a row right?

PostPosted: 31 May 2010, 09:57 

I'd say "Update that BIOS Johnnyvd" but....hmmm, that is the most up to date BIOS from techpowerup's database, bummer, as other brands seem to have newer BIOS.
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=ATI&manufacturer=&model=HD+5970&interface=&memSize=0

I know, but is it possible to update the card with a generic higher BIOS version??

**EDIT** it seems the generic is the same date

It really seems like a drive strength issue..

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2010, 23:47 

yeah I have the blinking active dp adapter, it has been happening since 10.4 and up. 10.3 eyefinity almost works perfectly - bc2 load times and a few other things that I dont mind to much. Why the hell can they figure the problem out with 10.3 and then let it come back the next driver and beyond... thats beyond me. I guess thats the price I pay for living close to the bleeding edge. So far 10.3 has been servicable but makes me worry abit about future driver releases and I never worried or complained much about drivers from ati/amd. I hope they figure this bs out, its annoying.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 08:53 

Just to be 100% clear, the flicker youre referring to is the one where your monitor goes black for half a second then goes back to normal then goes black again a few times in a row right?

That's right.. These are the exact symptoms. Got everything working blink-free again. Did it by installing the Apple active adapter. I did not succeed in getting the ACCEL to work without blinking since 10.4

Concerning the HP adapter: i already got three adapters lying around and would love to try this one also, if i come around it for cheap i'll try! But for now no more cash-out on this. I still think it's a driver problem..

O yeah, my monitors only have DVI-I connections could this cause the DP-VGA problems i have?

yeah I have the blinking active dp adapter, it has been happening since 10.4 and up. 10.3 eyefinity almost works perfectly - bc2 load times and a few other things that I dont mind to much. Why the hell can they figure the problem out with 10.3 and then let it come back the next driver and beyond... thats beyond me. I guess thats the price I pay for living close to the bleeding edge. So far 10.3 has been servicable but makes me worry abit about future driver releases and I never worried or complained much about drivers from ati/amd. I hope they figure this bs out, its annoying.

What adapter are you using??

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2010, 22:00 

[quote]

That's right.. These are the exact symptoms. Got everything working blink-free again. Did it by installing the Apple active adapter. I did not succeed in getting the ACCEL to work without blinking since 10.4

I bought the Apple adapter from the get-go last November and I have never experienced this flickering issue (3x DVI monitors). When I restart my computer I often need to click "detect" in the Windows screen resolution menu, but other than that I haven't had any problems, which is good because the Apple adapter cost about $100 so it had better f'ing work.

I'm using driver build 8.74, btw (the one that fixed the long BC2 load times for the 5xxxx series cards).

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 05:36 

What adapter are you using??

I am using the Dell/Bizlink/accell adapter. 10.3 driver works perfect no blinking at all. Its definatly a driver issue with my particular blinking. I tried all the recommended fixes but as soon as 10.3 released I thought I was pretty much golden... I was wrong. For now its ok because 10.3's are good drivers but what if thats the last driver that works with my setup without the blinking? That would suck. I reported this issue to amd via there little support thingy when cat 10.4 released.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2010, 07:53 

I am using the Dell/Bizlink/accell adapter. 10.3 driver works perfect no blinking at all. Its definatly a driver issue with my particular blinking. I tried all the recommended fixes but as soon as 10.3 released I thought I was pretty much golden... I was wrong. For now its ok because 10.3's are good drivers but what if thats the last driver that works with my setup without the blinking? That would suck. I reported this issue to amd via there little support thingy when cat 10.4 released.

OK, so we are 100% in the same boat.. At the moment the Apple adapter works just fine.
I also reported the flickering with 10.4 and 10.5 to AMD: i would recommend everyone to do this, because AMD really doesn't hear all our whining in the forums :lol:

Also contacted MSI for a BIOS update, they are checking with Taiwan (because i contacted Dutch support) to find out about this problem..

Could you maybe give us more details about your system? OS, Mobo-brand + BIOS, GPU-brand + BIOS etc..?

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 00:13 

[quote]I am using the Dell/Bizlink/accell adapter. 10.3 driver works perfect no blinking at all. Its definatly a driver issue with my particular blinking. I tried all the recommended fixes but as soon as 10.3 released I thought I was pretty much golden... I was wrong. For now its ok because 10.3's are good drivers but what if thats the last driver that works with my setup without the blinking? That would suck. I reported this issue to amd via there little support thingy when cat 10.4 released.

OK, so we are 100% in the same boat.. At the moment the Apple adapter works just fine.
I also reported the flickering with 10.4 and 10.5 to AMD: i would recommend everyone to do this, because AMD really doesn't hear all our whining in the forums :lol:

Also contacted MSI for a BIOS update, they are checking with Taiwan (because i contacted Dutch support) to find out about this problem..

Could you maybe give us more details about your system? OS, Mobo-brand + BIOS, GPU-brand + BIOS etc..?

I have an ASUS M4A79 Deluxe mobo flashed with a brand new bios that just released last week. I have 2 5870's XFX flashed with a bios Dave linked in another thread. When I first got my cards I was getting crazy blinking because it was happening for multiple reasons. One reason was fixed with the bios flash and the other reason was driver related which was fixed with 10.3.

I tried 10.4 and 5 just cant get it so it wont blink. It does seem to go stretches of time like maybe sometimes even an hour without blinking with 10.5, the problem is as soon as I change the resolution or go into 3d mode it can trigger the problem and it wont stop blinking which then drives me nuts and I revert back to 10.3 where everything is nice and rosy.. atleast for the time being... I didnt give 10.4 as much time because I noticed it kinda broke JC2 for me.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2010, 09:45 

I have an ASUS M4A79 Deluxe mobo flashed with a brand new bios that just released last week. I have 2 5870's XFX flashed with a bios Dave linked in another thread. When I first got my cards I was getting crazy blinking because it was happening for multiple reasons. One reason was fixed with the bios flash and the other reason was driver related which was fixed with 10.3.

I tried 10.4 and 5 just cant get it so it wont blink. It does seem to go stretches of time like maybe sometimes even an hour without blinking with 10.5, the problem is as soon as I change the resolution or go into 3d mode it can trigger the problem and it wont stop blinking which then drives me nuts and I revert back to 10.3 where everything is nice and rosy.. atleast for the time being... I didnt give 10.4 as much time because I noticed it kinda broke JC2 for me.

Like i said: problems are 100% the same, i also got long stretches of non-blinking as long as there were no resolution changes.

I have a ASUS Crosshair III with BIOS 1503 and my MSI 5970 has still the original BIOS. But from what i read on this forum i will give the BIOS update for my card a slim chance to get my ACCELL adapter working.. Something in catalysr 10.4-10.5 broke compatability with the Dell/Bizlink/accell adapter..

Did you already try a clean install of windows? ( i didn't), and again: everything works fine now with the Apple adapter..

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2010, 03:01 

[quote]I have an ASUS M4A79 Deluxe mobo flashed with a brand new bios that just released last week. I have 2 5870's XFX flashed with a bios Dave linked in another thread. When I first got my cards I was getting crazy blinking because it was happening for multiple reasons. One reason was fixed with the bios flash and the other reason was driver related which was fixed with 10.3.

Like i said: problems are 100% the same, i also got long stretches of non-blinking as long as there were no resolution changes.

I have a ASUS Crosshair III with BIOS 1503 and my MSI 5970 has still the original BIOS. But from what i read on this forum i will give the BIOS update for my card a slim chance to get my ACCELL adapter working.. Something in catalysr 10.4-10.5 broke compatability with the Dell/Bizlink/accell adapter..

Did you already try a clean install of windows? ( i didn't), and again: everything works fine now with the Apple adapter..

no and I really dont want to do that. I have so much music software and mixing creating stuff installed for my music hobby. It would really be a major endeavor for me to do a fresh install and honestly for the reason we are discussing.. I shouldnt f'ing have to. If 10.6 still blinks I will try the apple adapter.. the thing is I have heard alot of bad things about the apple adapter but maybe it was just because it was shortly after the eyefintiy thing hit the market.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next