Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 01:22 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]To note, i used the Saphire Active DisplayPort to VGA adapter, not DVI.

I didn't know they made one. :) Thats good!

Yeah I just purchased this at the egg... came to 30 bucks though.. add that on top of the 100+shipping and tax for active display port dvi adapter... now I am pushing 150 bucks on a stupid adapter. All I gotta say is that when this comes in on monday, it best be workin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815310003

I am also worried that using analog is going to look blurry.

An LCD has a fixed amount of pixels, so in native resolution, 1 pixel = 1 pixel on screen regardless if you use analog or digital. Hit autoadjust so that the H and V sync are correct. :)

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 21:48 

My DVI monitor connected to the display port (via an active converter) would periodically black out momentarily. This occurred with the 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5 drivers. After trying an assortment of modifications, I purchased a display port monitor. Using the new monitor, I have not had the monitor connected to the display port black out once. Obviously this is not a fix for everyone because there are 5 people in this thread’s poll that are having the random blinking with a DP monitor. It might help to post our hardware to identify patterns in what works and doesn’t work.

My hardware consists of:
Power Supply: Antec - TruePower Quattro 850
Mobo: MSI - DKA790GX Platinum (Bios Version 1.E)
CPU: AMD - Phenom II X6 1090t
Memory: G.Skill – 8 GB DDR2
Video: HIS – Radeon HD 5970
Active Display Port to DVI converter – BizLink (I don’t remember the model)
USB Port for Active converter: Belkin – F5U237 (the manual states that it can handle 5V @500 mA). I have tried other >5V @500 mA USB hubs as well.

Monitors:
Setup A (Blinked often): Dell E228WFP 22” monitors X3 (using active converter).

Setup B (Does not blink): Dell P2210 22” Monitor connected to Display Port on Video Card with two Dell E228WFP monitors connected to DVI ports.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 07:26 

I just updated to 10.5 after going a long time with 9.13 drivers on two Radeon HD 5800 cards using the Bizlink active adapter. I had no problems previous to updating to 10.5, but now the dp to DVI monitor goes out like once after an hour and 1/2 of use. Taking the dp plug out of the tower and putting it back in will fix it for another hour or so. Obviously it isnt the adapter if it worked just fine before. There is something inherent to some of the drivers that is causing the issue. I am a bit scared of doing a firmware update, but definately willing to listen to any suggestions anyone has?

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 10:49 

I just updated to 10.5 after going a long time with 9.13 drivers on two Radeon HD 5800 cards using the Bizlink active adapter. I had no problems previous to updating to 10.5, but now the dp to DVI monitor goes out like once after an hour and 1/2 of use. Taking the dp plug out of the tower and putting it back in will fix it for another hour or so. Obviously it isnt the adapter if it worked just fine before. There is something inherent to some of the drivers that is causing the issue. I am a bit scared of doing a firmware update, but definately willing to listen to any suggestions anyone has?

This is getting very old, very fast... Yep, i have it too: Bizlink/Sapphire/Accel, all the same -> blinking galore.
After 10.3 everything started blinking on me.. Apple adapter (that didn't work pre 10.2) works 100%.

Lots of people have succes with HP active VGA adapters? Did not try to Flash the Bios tho..

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2010, 23:26 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]To note, i used the Saphire Active DisplayPort to VGA adapter, not DVI.

I didn't know they made one. :) Thats good!

Yeah I just purchased this at the egg... came to 30 bucks though.. add that on top of the 100+shipping and tax for active display port dvi adapter... now I am pushing 150 bucks on a stupid adapter. All I gotta say is that when this comes in on monday, it best be workin.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815310003

I am also worried that using analog is going to look blurry.

So, whats the verdict? :D

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010, 02:19 

So far the verdict is good. No blinking at all. I mean not even 1 blink. The only minor issue I see so far is slightly washed out color on the vga-dp adapter. This makes me very happy. I am now using cat 10.6 and this question is slightly off topic but is SC:conviction a poor performer on ati cards? 10.3 performance was awful, with 10.6 its better but still far from perfect.

I seem to have wierd performance with crossfire still, like screen tearing and choppy play... :( .. but I a glad the blinking is behind me :rockout

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010, 02:54 
Editors
Editors

So far the verdict is good. No blinking at all. I mean not even 1 blink. The only minor issue I see so far is slightly washed out color on the vga-dp adapter. This makes me very happy. I am now using cat 10.6 and this question is slightly off topic but is SC:conviction a poor performer on ati cards? 10.3 performance was awful, with 10.6 its better but still far from perfect.

I seem to have wierd performance with crossfire still, like screen tearing and choppy play... :( .. but I a glad the blinking is behind me :rockout

Nice! :rockout

If you see a slightly washed out color on VGA, check your monitor settings. If you describe it to me, I might be able to help adjusting the correct settings. As example, having too high contrast on the screen (as in contrast control, not actual contrast), can give some washed out images. This can be corrected by lowering contrast. Otherwise, you should also check the other settings like white point (color settings) to see if they are correct. Many monitors uses different settings for VGA and DVI (+they also have VGA spesific controls). Before all this, remember to hit auto-adjust to make sure that the screen has set the sync and such correctly. :)

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2010, 02:50 

The monitor auto adjusts automatically. So everything seems fine there, but even using the dvi interface I have had color issues with this particular lcd. The other 2 match perfectly and even though all 3 are the same make and model, the one I am using with the vga adapter with (off to the side I might add) has always given me minor color issues. The red and Blue Heat levels or whatever you call it have been off since the monitor arrived so I have to use wierd settings to get the lcd close to matching.

Now that I have had a few days with this new adapter I couldnt be more pleased with the results. Now its all up to the drivers to take care of the tearing when CF is enabled (most of the time). Its dissapointing that I dished out 410 bucks on an extra 5870 that really cant be used in any relevant way. On the other hand 1 card can handle 5292x1050 most of the time. So hopefully by the time I really need the extra lovin from the other gpu the drivers will be worked out... wishful thinkin probably.

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2010, 03:04 
Founder
Founder

I had never upgraded from 10.3a on my test rig. I had layered a bunch of drivers on top of each other and swapped out cards as I tested. I ended up with the blanking issue. After my last round of tests, I was going to try out Tri-SLI (no-go, btw) and decided to upgrade to 10.6.

I used Driver Sweeper and installed the 10.6 set. Blanking went away for me...

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2010, 14:26 

I had never upgraded from 10.3a on my test rig. I had layered a bunch of drivers on top of each other and swapped out cards as I tested. I ended up with the blanking issue. After my last round of tests, I was going to try out Tri-SLI (no-go, btw) and decided to upgrade to 10.6.

I used Driver Sweeper and installed the 10.6 set. Blanking went away for me...

I can confirm that Tri-Sli is not going to work with 10.6 :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next