Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 04:00

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 18:32 
Founder
Founder

That is absolutely epic. :bowdown:

I wish I had IPS monitors...

IPS monitors are MUCH cheaper than they used to be. I bet they will be in your price range at your next upgrade. Remember, eBay is your friend. Sell your old kit to help pay for the new ones...

YouTube video of 5x1-P added to the original post.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 22:33 

It seemed your side monitors looked just like the centers as far as image. On my setup with 3 screens, playing BFBC2 on the side monitors the images look stretched a little compared to the center. Is this the same on yours and I just couldn't tell or am I doing something wrong to have this on mine?

I'm all new to this if that is a stupid question. It seems this way with Just Cause 2. I just got these games yesterday and today.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 23:05 
Founder
Founder

It seemed your side monitors looked just like the centers as far as image. On my setup with 3 screens, playing BFBC2 on the side monitors the images look stretched a little compared to the center. Is this the same on yours and I just couldn't tell or am I doing something wrong to have this on mine?

I'm all new to this if that is a stupid question. It seems this way with Just Cause 2. I just got these games yesterday and today.

With 5x1-P, the FOV isn't as wide as 3x1-L. So, there is less "stretching" or distortion. You can get a feel for the difference between the different options with our FOV & Aspect Calc.

If a game on a single 16:9 screen has an FOV of 90 deg, 3x1-L has an FOV of 152. 5x1-P has and FOV of 129. 5x1-P is ~40 deg more than 16:9, but ~23 less than 3x1-L. So, you get a lot more FOV, but it doesn't expand to the point of stretching.

This is one of the reasons I like 5x1-P. Another is that 5x1-P is about the same width as 3x1-L (assuming same size monitors). However, they are significantly taller, and fill both your Hor and Vert field of vision. Downside is the greater number of bezels, but I think the good outweighs the bad. And, I'm looking at the possibility of stripping the plastic off my bezels as well.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 23:31 

Gar, I just sold my asus eyefinity 6 and replaced it with an XFX 6970. The 6970 is supposed to support up to six monitors, but you need some new adapter. Does anybody know when the new adapters will hit market?

I swear if its not one thing its another to get in my 5x1 way, lol

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 23:34 
Founder
Founder

Gar, I just sold my asus eyefinity 6 and replaced it with an XFX 6970. The 6970 is supposed to support up to six monitors, but you need some new adapter. Does anybody know when the new adapters will hit market?

I swear if its not one thing its another to get in my 5x1 way, lol

Adapters are this summer. You are looking for a DP 1.2 Multi Stream Transport (MST) Hub.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 23:36 

I've done some reading up since I posted and have read about the fisheye/distortion look on the sides and really you just have to live with it. I haven't been into my .ini file to see what the default is on BFBC2 for FOV but if I was to change it to try to make it better which way should I go? Where is this calculator?

I have 16:10 monitors and running a res of 5040x1050.

I guess I was used to iracing where they render each screen separately and it looks fantastic with no distortion on the sides.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 00:08 
Insiders
Insiders

I knew this was in the pipeline, but didn't think it was going to be available before CES at the very earliest. It's a welcome surprise. Now just for me to pick up another 245BW. I'd do this projector too but the budget isn't in the cards for me at the moment. :cheers

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 01:20 
Founder
Founder

I guess I was used to iracing where they render each screen separately and it looks fantastic with no distortion on the sides.

iRacing is a unique and exemplary example of Eyefinity support.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 04:47 

WOW!!! After a year I can finally start gaming again!

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2010, 05:36 
Founder
Founder

WOW!!! After a year I can finally start gaming again!

Agreed. I'm excited again about gaming.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next