Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:32

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 20:04 

well. yesterday I had huge tearing in Mafia 2 on my center monitor. I reinstalled windows, since I had to do that any way. after that I first connected my center and right monitor (dvi, hdmi). after that I connected my left dp monitor and now the tearing is only on the left one instead of center!

I noticed this tearing problem before, but I'm so happy that now it is only on the left one instead of the center. Don't know what exactly caused the tearing to move, but it did :) .

Not to be a pain but all you needed to do like mentioned above is change your prefered display to a DVI monitor, and only the DP monitor will display this effect. And vice versa.

Can anyone confirm if only using one DVI port, this corrects the issue?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2011, 21:44 

[quote]well. yesterday I had huge tearing in Mafia 2 on my center monitor. I reinstalled windows, since I had to do that any way. after that I first connected my center and right monitor (dvi, hdmi). after that I connected my left dp monitor and now the tearing is only on the left one instead of center!

I noticed this tearing problem before, but I'm so happy that now it is only on the left one instead of the center. Don't know what exactly caused the tearing to move, but it did :) .

Not to be a pain but all you needed to do like mentioned above is change your prefered display to a DVI monitor, and only the DP monitor will display this effect. And vice versa.

Can anyone confirm if only using one DVI port, this corrects the issue?

I always have my DVI monitor as primary display and stil got this issue..

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2011, 05:24 

I saw really bad lagged tearing in the top 20% or so of the screen of a 2x2 1920x1200 configuration (3840x2400) driven on a single monitor. For some reason when using the native 41Hz it had this problem but when I created a custom EDID to run at 60Hz the really bad tearing went away (now just some monitor tearing from running 60hz on a 41hz native monitor).

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2011, 03:49 

Man that really sucks, I was about to buy a 6970 because like a lot of people here I purchased 2 5870's last year but my experience with eyefinity and crossfire was so bad I sold 1 5870.. After that experience I will never crossfire and use multi monitors ever again.

I need a little more juice to run eyefinity and use a little AA than just 1 5870. I am shocked to see more of the same problems with 2nd gen eyefinity cards.. unfortunately this tells me the problem is probably unfixable on there part because its probably issues with the individual monitors. Hopefully the 7979 will be able to handle 5040x1050 @ 60 with AA ...

The only reason a person would or should want 2 cards is:)

A:) you have a 30" Panel
B:) Your gaming with eyefinity or surround.

And these problems make crossfire pointless if you use eyefinity. I am still pissed off about this BS.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 07:10 

Confirmed same problem on 6950 bios mod > 6970 - config'd like [DVI][DP][DVI]

Win7x64 is fine when spanned. After grouping, tearing is noticable when on DVI screens only. Removing v-sync from games seems to lessen the effect.

I have hope this is a software/driver issue, not hardware problem, as only happens when group.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2011, 17:56 

Sapphire 6950 flashed to 6970 problem confirmed.

With the card setup, you'll have either 2xDVI & 1xDP or 2xDP & 1xDVI.

On the two monitors with like connections, make sure one of them is in the middle. When you enable Eyefinity, in the Eyefinity setup area be sure to select the middle monitor and choose "Make Preferred Display". This will keep 2 of the 3 monitors from tearing. Sadly the odd monitor out will have nasty tearing.

This is a pretty sad issue to have to deal with honestly.

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 19:20 

Hey everyone. At the extreme danger of butting in, thinking allowed and making a fool of myself:

Can you run three dvi monitors (or 3 vga monitors) off the display port and the two minidp ports using three active adaptors to solve the issue?

Edit: I take it Ninefingers above me has my answer... I'm honestly finding it hard to find the reason why you can't do three dp outputs on the 6xxx series though (with that added 1.2 display port)? Would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Edit2: Wow. OK. Got it. :oops:

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 00:26 

6950 flashed to 6970 - same problem, uber tearing on left and right screens, I wasn't experienced tearing issue on my 5850 before.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2011, 12:50 

It's a hardware problem with out of sync timings between the DP and DVI ports. $150 MST Hub (2012?), Eyefinity 6 5870/5970 or a 6990 is the only way to fix screen tearing in 3+ setups. The 6990 maxes out at 4.

For now, you can minimize it by placing the odd-port-out on either side of your config and making one of the two common connected monitors your "preferred" monitor.

This problem has really ticked me off and I wish I had known about it before I wasted money on a pair of 6950s. I was hoping to tri-fire them for $50 more than the cost of a single 6990 but now it looks like I have to pony up $100 more per GPU and get the 6990 or wait till 2012-2013 when the MST Hub comes out.

It looks like quad/tri-fire can't handle 3 30" either due to the crossfire bridge bottlenecking; only 6990s, albeit with no AA since they'll be slamming up against 2GB even without it. 3GB 580s are too expensive for my blood. :(

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 00:41 
Insiders
Insiders

Yepp. 6950 with unlocked shaders. Also DVI-DP-DVI configuration, only occurs in my 3x1 group. Though for me, only the Center tears,it's pretty slight, and only really noticeable on video playback and webpage scrolling, but it's there. Oh, using mini-DP to DP cable. 11.3 drivers.

Oh. I get it in Extended, as well. But only center display. HAve the newer drivers fixed this?