Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: suiken_2mieu wrote:With
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2012, 19:36 

With eyefinity, always go for a card that has identical inputs.

Also, DMANNA Try putting two of your screens on the Display Ports, that should give you 2 that work well again. Though I really don't understand why the cards just cant output the same Hz on every output. That would solve the issue right there. The timings are wrong for 1 or more monitors.

So I went and orderd 2 identical display ports, 3 identical DVI-D cables and did not solve problem. I even just tried to use the 2 monitors that are displaying the same Hz and I still get tearing.

When d3doverrider is active in the back ground, I get NO Screen tearing but only if the FPS is maintained at 60 FPS.. as soon as the FPS dips below 60, even if its 59 I see minor tearing on all 3 screens. As a trouble shooting method what is this telling me? 60 fps perfect image.. below 60 fps tearing. I guess it means V-Sync is working but Triple Buffering is not working? Anyone have any idea's?

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 11:38 

I've put the 5870 back in the computer and decided to test what would happen if I used 1 DVI out and 1 Hdmi out, like what I've been doing with the 7970.
The results were quite surprising :
There is no tearing with the 5870 with 1 DVI and 1 hdmi - BUT - there is still a problem which might not be visible under usual eyefinity conditions but is obvious with my configuration : a 1-frame lag.
The Catalyst control centre shows the "primary display" item in the catalyst control centre, the primary display is shown with no lag, the secondary display suffers from a 1-frame lag.
I thought it might be an interesting bit of information to share with you.

I am still waiting for my Display Port adapter, it should arrive tomorrow.

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2012, 11:40 

-double post-

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2012, 21:37 

Hello again.

My Display Port active adapter finally arrived.
It works without tearing now on the 7970. I use two mini-DP -> DVI (active) converters, then the DVI -> Hdmi (passive) adapter.
One thing to note: the adapters are different models and they are made by a different manufacturer (both the retail brand and the manufacturer's name on the back are different), so you can mix the converters as long as they're the same type.
The sync is identical and synchronized between the two displays, just like I had with the 5870 before.
I'm lucky I've got only 2 projectors to synchronize. If I were to made a 3-projector surround setup, I'd probably run into the same problem again until custom cards with DP only are available.