Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Jul 2024, 05:51

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 04:39 
Insiders
Insiders

I'll just get the 6 Mini-DP card and use passive DVI-I adapters.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 04:56 
Insiders
Insiders

As I said I am totally confused, it says active adaptors needed for 'wider modes'. What ever that is. Still all will become clear in a few weeks when you early adopters tell me WTF I should do :)

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 06:25 
Insiders
Insiders

As I understand it, the passive adapters can only do the bandwidth of single-dvi, not dual-dvi....hence limited to 1920x1200 or smaller displays per port. I'm guessing by "wider" they mean 2560x1600 displays. Running multiple 2560x1600 displays is pretty irrelevant to me. :wink:

To quote Monoprice:
Supports up to 1920x1200 resolutions (single link).

NOTE: This adapter does NOT support analog signal. It will only output a digital signal. It can be used with DVI to DVI and DVI to HDMI cables and adapters, but NOT DVI to VGA.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5106&seq=1&format=2

Seriously, are you guys arguing the active adapter issue really going multiple 30"? The only thing active adapters effect are the use of obsolete VGA displays or 30" displays. The only reason why they were using active adaptors at the demo was because of all of those 30" displays they were showing.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 06:51 
Insiders
Insiders

I'd love to (if only for max single screen gaming) but I think 3x1920x1200 will do me, thanks very much ATi :cheers

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 07:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Monoprice Knowledgebase:
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter

Question: Will this adapter transmit audio?
Answer: No, while DisplayPort technology supports audio, VGA and DVI do not.

Question: Will this adapter support Dual Link DVI connections?
Answer: No, DVI uses a different protocol for extended graphic resolutions than DP. Dual link can not be supported without an active converter. These adapters are passive.

Question: What is DisplayPort?
Answer: DisplayPort is a new digital video and audio connection standard designed by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA). It is a royalty-free technology designed primarily for the computer industry but also compatible for home theater application.

Question: What''s the difference between DisplayPort and Mini DisplayPort?
Answer: Mini DisplayPort is a more compact version of the orginial DisplayPort connector that was designed by Apple Computers and is found mostly on their newest MacBook laptops.

Question: What''s the difference between DisplayPort and HDMI.
Answer: DisplayPort was primarily designed as a replacement for VGA, DVI and LVDS which are common interfaces used in the computer/IT industries, while HDMI was developed by the Consumer Electronics Industry specifically for Home Theater applications. Toward this end, DisplayPort has certain enhanced features such as direct drive monitor design and single cable multi-function monitor connectivity. Some advantages of HDMI are the ability to support xvYCC color, Dolby TrueHD and CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) signals.

Though both share powerfull A/V features, DisplayPort was designed to complement HDMI, not to replace it.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 07:48 
Insiders
Insiders

OK so a 24" screen doesn't need Dual Link. I guess that a 30" does? The only Dual Link that I have experience with is TH2Go.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 17:54 

I'd love to get a 2GB version, but I still have a CRT display here, which I'm not really willing to give up just yet - it displays some of my pictures much better than my LCD (both calibrated).

So I suppose I'd be best off finding me a DVI+VGA version. And a DP for futureproofing.

However... will a DVI-VGA connector attached to a DVI output work properly on the card? It's the way I'm running now. Would mean I could just get a 2xDVI edition :)

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 18:00 

also active mini DP to DVI adapters might be needed for 120Hz screens

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2009, 18:18 

As long as the card is dvi-I (analog+digital) you can use the dvi/svga adapter, I've yet to see any video card that has dvi-d and not work with the adapter. Unless ati/amd really screws the design, it should have dvi-i.

As for 24"/dual-link, it's more based on resolution than size, like a 23" 2048 x 1152 probably needs a dual-link too.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2009, 10:31 

I have to say this technology looks very cool :)

I've just migrated back to the world of Windows after using macs for about 2 years (literally this week. I felt held back on the Macs. They just wouldn't do everything the way I wanted).

I'm still using the hardware in my sig at the mo, but this may be a good reason to finally upgrade and start with something new!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next