Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Oct 2024, 13:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 02:44 

Besides my previous post, I was also wondering if you were considering to operate with virtual resolutions? Meaning, if I were to connect 2x 1680x1050 screens as satelites with a 1920x1200 as center screen, with a virtual resolution, the game will be rendered as with 3 1920x1200 screens (5760x1200), but only 1680x1050 worth of content would be displayed on each of my satelites.

Whoa!

I don'tthink we have considered that scenario at the moment. We're taking the EDID from all connected panels and selecting resolution outputs according to what all of them can cope with.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 02:51 

Darthdingo - the adapter that kyle used is a active miniDP to DVI adapter, not sure how hes having problems because to begin with, the adapter is incompatible. try searching for a regular active DP > DVI adapter on apple website - there arent any so im not too sure..

geniv2 - for your adapter arrival, it says "est. shipping date"
have u gotten an actual seperate email with the tracking info/# ?
i ordered mine on friday evening and recieved 1 confirmation email stating that ive purchased the adapter, with an "est. shippping date 10/1"
so we'll see how that goes..

again lol take a deep breathe and http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q191/Wheelerdealers/TripleHDTV-cables.jpg exhale, this picture will make u feel better =)

as for me.. last resort - selling th2g + 1 samsung 24" for a native DP monitor, maybe a dell 2408WFP

I just got an email an hour ago saying that it's shipped.. (that was fast :)

I got a tracking number but the UPS site didn't update with the information yet. but it's 3-5 day shipping...

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 02:52 

Will we be able to buy DP+ boards in the future?

The largest stumbling block for all of us is we're a pre-existing userbase with pre-existing displays that are predominantly DVI or HDMI. Right now I'm sitting on 4 Samsung 245BW wondering what to do about adapters. A selling point for EyeFinity should be taking the need for a box in between the card and displays away. That $350 that went to Matrox could now go towards a better video card. This is an accessibility issue that needs to be key to EyeFinity. The initial DP only limitation I think was a miss-step that can be obviously addressed in different 5800 series cards. When the new cards that address this issue are out how will we know they're DP+ and not only DP? Will it be on the packaging where we could specifically look for DP+? It would be very helpful if the package states clearly that it is "compatible with passive DVI Single-Link and passive HDMI adapters compatible to DP+."

I highly suggest that some variation of the 6-port 5870 be targeted for Mini-DP+.

You may consider the dependance on DP a "misstep", but in fact DP is the enabler to this technology being offered as a standard feature on all our boards. Remember, that these have to appeal to everyone Eyefinity is not something that we are charging extra for - the product has to stand on its own two feet as a competetive solution, but with value added features such as Eyefinity, DX11 and new levels of compute capabilities. If it wasn't for DisplayPort we wouldn't be as competetive because we'd be saddled with extra cost.

All of these boards can drive two "legacy" display outputs, the additional displays have to be DisplayPort. The Eyefinity6 Edition board will be DP+, but again only up to 2 outputs - more than two outputs will still require DP.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 02:52 
Insiders
Insiders

Besides my previous post, I was also wondering if you were considering to operate with virtual resolutions? Meaning, if I were to connect 2x 1680x1050 screens as satelites with a 1920x1200 as center screen, with a virtual resolution, the game will be rendered as with 3 1920x1200 screens (5760x1200), but only 1680x1050 worth of content would be displayed on each of my satelites.

That would be the best thing ever. It would make upgrading easier for me (as i have a tight budget, i'd have to buy the panels one at a time, which is what i did for my current setup)

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 02:56 
Insiders
Insiders

All of these boards can drive two "legacy" display outputs, the additional displays have to be DisplayPort. The Eyefinity6 Edition board will be DP+, but again only up to 2 outputs - more than two outputs will still require DP.

This basically tells me that no matter what card we get the 3rd (4th, 5th and 6th) ports are going to have to have a $100 active DP to DVI adapter.

I'm having a problem with this "legacy" designation for DVI and HDMI. The display market is 99% dominated by DVI and HDMI. So in the projector setup I'm building I can use 2 passive single-link dp to dvi adapter and 3 active dp to dvi adapter to achieve my goal of 5 DVI based displays? My problem is there is no such thing as a 0.6:1 short-throw projector with a DP on it....well actually in more generic terms there are no projectors at all (that Google can find) with DP on them.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 03:04 

That would be the best thing ever. It would make upgrading easier for me (as i have a tight budget, i'd have to buy the panels one at a time, which is what i did for my current setup)

I agree, it sounds like a good idea. I'm guessing a lot of people who weren't into multi-monitor gaming before, already have one good 24" - 30" monitor. And the thought of spending another 2x what they've already spend could be a deal breaker.

But if we could just add a couple of cheaper 20" - 22" monitors to the side, it just might work.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 03:04 

So do we have any confirmation that the Apple mini-dp to dvi is the problem adapter? I'm hoping the Dell/BizLink which most of WSGF bought is ok. Besides it's the one shown in the demo day pics.

As far as I'm aware Kyle is using the Apple adapter - we have validated that this works on the Eyefinity6 Edition, though I don't know if we used a Dell 3007 or 3008. Currently we are suspecting the DP to miniDP cable may be an issue.

Note - Bizlink is the first DP adapter that we are qualifying. Unfortunatly I don't know if the revision on the Dell site is qualified or not.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 03:06 

So in the projector setup I'm building I can use 2 passive single-link dp to dvi adapter and 3 active dp to dvi adapter to achieve my goal of 5 DVI based displays?

That should work.

IIRC - we have heard about one vendor interested in a single link active adapter which should be cheaper than then active ones. I need to check on the status of those as to whether or not they are a go.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 03:07 

Got my eyefinity fully working. here are some pics

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/11191#comment-194069

I got like 7 games working/tried I got a long list of games to play/try :)

COD 4 looks especially great. I'm going to have to play it again once I get my Eyefinity setup going. I have a 5870 coming next week, but still working out what to get for side monitors.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2009, 03:09 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]So in the projector setup I'm building I can use 2 passive single-link dp to dvi adapter and 3 active dp to dvi adapter to achieve my goal of 5 DVI based displays?

That should work.

IIRC - we have heard about one vendor interested in a single link active adapter which should be cheaper than then active ones. I need to check on the status of those as to whether or not they are a go.

It definitely would be of interest to most people in the forums. I know most of us are 22" or 24" display setups which only need single-link. If that vender can pull off cheap single-link active adapters I'll be the first in line for 3 or 4 (plus one of those 6-port cards). I have money on hand this second for the purchase. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 72  Next