Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 07:50

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 01:19 
Insiders
Insiders

The images we have of the x2 card show only 2xDVI and 1x mini-DP connectors. So no AFAIK..see Hardware Canucks for images.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 01:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Keep up the good work ATI/AMD. Take your time on the bezel management, rendering at higher resolutions and chopping extra pixels off is definitely the way to go, zooming it in or stretching would be quite a hack :).

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 02:16 
Insiders
Insiders

The images we have of the x2 card show only 2xDVI and 1x mini-DP connectors. So no AFAIK..see Hardware Canucks for images.

The only way an X2 card would appeal to me is if EyeFinity could span ports across multiple cards. I don't foresee that occurring anytime soon as you could theoretically saturate your PCIe bus with too many screens doing that. Many mobos today have the capability to run up to 7 video card now, that's a theoretical 21 ports out with a standard 5870 or 5850. My Phenom II build has 4 video cards in it as is. That would bring PCIe 2.0 to it's knees doing the footwork required to pull EyeFinity multi-card spanning off. Definitely would be an interesting feat though to scale GPUs and ports like that though. It would bring us closer to realization of the 24 display X-Plane demo. I still have my reservations as to why that was demoed, because while it was very cool, it's not representative of EyeFinity standard use. I would liken it to a specialized configuration that only would work with 4 instances of X-Plane running on Linux.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:22 

I have been reading all the applicable threads concerning Eyefinity and I have even purchased the Dell adapter but I am at a crossroads.. I haven't bought the 5870 for 1 reason, I currently own a Dell 3007WFP-HC 30 inch and 2X 2007FP..

I have been reading and understand that currently 20inch port/30inch land/20inch port is not supported by Eyefinity.. It seems this would be a software/driver related issue because all the monitors have the same 1600 vertical resoultion.. (edit)

My question is this:

Will Eyefinity iron this out in future driver releases? Can we expect to run Portrait + Landscape + Portrait / 20" + 30" + 20" display configurations in the future? Mainly a question for Dave but any feedback or input would be appreciated....

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:36 

I have been reading all the applicable threads concerning Eyefinity and I have even purchased the Dell adapter but I am at a crossroads.. I haven't bought the 5870 for 1 reason, I currently own a Dell 3007WFP-HC 30 inch and 2X 2007FP..

I have been reading and understand that currently 20inch port/30inch land/20inch port is not supported by Eyefinity.. It seems this would be a software/driver related issue because all the monitors have the same 1200 vertical resoultion..

My question is this:

Will Eyefinity iron this out in future driver releases? Can we expect to run Portrait + Landscape + Portrait / 20" + 30" + 20" display configurations in the future? Mainly a questioon for Dave but any feedback or input would be appreciated....

I think you meant the three would have a vertical height of 1600 res ? :)

I am in the same boat as you, I have the Apple 30" Display, and would love to keep it, and just add two 20 flipped up in Portrait next to either side of my 30". It seems like an easy thing for Eyefinity to do, mainly because all three would have the exact same vertical height of 1600 resolution, so why not allow that to work ?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 04:51 

I think you meant the three would have a vertical height of 1600 res ? :)

I am in the same boat as you, I have the Apple 30" Display, and would love to keep it, and just add two 20 flipped up in Portrait next to either side of my 30". It seems like an easy thing for Eyefinity to do, mainly because all three would have the exact same vertical height of 1600 resolution, so why not allow that to work ?

Yes I meant 1600 vertical, I just am so bummed I have all IPS panels perectly matched it kills me... I literally bought my Dell 3007WFP-HC less than 2 weeks ago.. The 2X2007FP side panels are sooo awesome I love this setup I am racking my brain I really want triplehead monitor gaming with this configuration. Maybe I'll just get another 2007FP and rock that until it gets ironed out.. Not ideal but it would work...

I still don't understand clearly why it wouldn't work I mean doesn't Eyefinity just tell the operating system that there is just 1 larger resolution? For example 4960X1600 1 large rectangular box.. Must have to do with the whole Portrait/Landscape/Portrait dilemma...

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 05:53 

I have the exact same Dell 20" 30" 20" setup and use SoftTH for gaming with great success. It often does require some experimentation with config files but I get almost every game I play to work this way. A single GTX285 can run games smoothly at this resolution if you take it easy on the AA.

The Eyefinity technology is very exciting but from what I've read it doesn't look like it is going to support this monitor configuration. What I'm really waiting for are these new ultra-thin bezel monitors from Samsung. If they make them in 30" 2560x1600 I want to switch to three of those using Eyefinity, hopefully bezel management and crossfire will work by that time too.

If this is not going to happen anytime soon I'll likely upgrade to the Nvidia GT300 when it comes out and continue using SoftTH, as I consider it a very viable alternative despite what you may sometimes read on this forum.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 08:55 

Hello!
Finally nice to meet some others running the 4960x1600 setup looking for some satisfaction! Woe is our support from nvidia and ati. I have been struggling to get 3d acceleration under Linux for these monitors and finally thought there might be a solution with this card. The prospect of widescreen CSS in windows sure was appetizing, bummer. Shelling out another $100, bummer. Interestingly, General Admission's post leads me to believe that although our 4960x1600 wont work in windows, it might work in Linux.

Eyefinity on Windows will support any symmetric display configuration. All landscape? Great. All portait? Great. 3x1, 3x2, 2x2, 4x1, 5x1, 6x1? Good to go. 4 landscape and 1 portrait? No deal. Whatever the configuration, Windows must be given a single, symmetric, rectangular (or square) display by Eyefinity. On Linux you can mix and match to your heart's content.

Will this work in Linux? Can anyone confirm? Deny?

Thanks! :D

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 08:56 

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but... I can get an active Mini DP to DVI adapter from Apple. Is there an adapter to go from Mini DP to Normal and is it expensive or hard to get?

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2009, 09:16 

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but... I can get an active Mini DP to DVI adapter from Apple. Is there an adapter to go from Mini DP to Normal and is it expensive or hard to get?

FragU - I am in Australia too and I feel ya as we cant get the DELL adapter here .... sucks ...

the Apple mini dp -> DVI does not work well so forget that option ...

we'll have to source the DELL adapter from US .... or buy a DP screen ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50 ... 72  Next