Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 04 Jul 2024, 14:25

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 12:53 

Thanks for the clarification, guys. Might have missed that in your previous replies.
Was hoping for doubled timers in six version, but now I will definitely have to get the active adapter. The only thing which make me feel good is that I have nothing to be sorry about getting x2 version :)

Post subject: IBM T221 support
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2009, 17:14 

Hi all, esp to Dave and Sunspot. Just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU for developing Eyeinfinity - it has the potential to solve my ultra-high resolution monitor issues that have locked me into WinXP as my OS for the last x years.

Couple of questions. I use a pair of IBM T221 ultra high resolution monitors - these were way ahead of their time in 2001 with a single panel resolution of 3840x2400 (9.2MP). I have two of these monitors actively running; right now each monitor takes two 1920x2400 dual-link inputs to fill the panel as a single dual link input does not have enough bandwidth to fill 3840x2400 @ 48Hz.
Obviously, Vista and Win7 broke spanning so without Eyefinity, I'd be stuck with two "virtual monitors" in a single panel/bezel. I'm hoping that Eyefinity will solve these problems.
I plan to buy 2x 57xx or 58xx series cards, with each card driving a T221-DG5 @ 3840x2400 @ 48Hz.

Here are my questions:
1. will an oddball resolution like 1900x2400 be supported by Eyeinfinity? This is specified in the EDID and is recognized by my current GTX260s.

2. Can I create two separate Eyefinity groups, or are we limited to a single group? For me, each group would be (2 x 1920 x 2400) portrait stripes. If so, can these separate groups work across cards, or do all monitors in a given group have to be on a single card? I don't really game on this machine so that's not my primary concern - photoshop is.

3. ICC color management profiles - can a different ICC profile be assigned to each group? I profile my monitors with a color calibrator and each T221 is different.

4. Any other problems running Eyefinity with two 57xx cards? I don't intend to Crossfire or game on this. I know Crossfire doesn't work with this.

Thanks so much - if anyone has who has 2 58xx or 57xx cards and 4 monitors could test whether it's possible to make 2 Eyefinity groups of 2 monitors each, that would be much appreciated!

Yeang Chng

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 12:09 

I'm not a pioneer in widescreen gaming, I'm not a cutting edge technophile. I'm just an ordinary consumer and pc hobbyist. It's time for a new build and while searching for parts stumbled onto the 5xxx series. I didn't even know what Eyefinity was until I googled it.

I knew multi-screen computing was out there. I had a dual monitor setup a few years back. To be quite honest it was a pain and I've been quite content using my 32" CE LCD in lesser resolutions instead. Then I watched a video review of Eyefinity. The guy was running a 3x1 in landscape. It was alright, but then again the elongated views, the fish-eye effects, the bezel interference, the desktop real-estate put me off more than it excited me.

Still curious I looked around a bit more. I found people doing something that I never would have thought of. They were running a 3x1 in portrait mode. Instantly I fell in love. Now I'm researching because I'm about to make the single largest investment I've ever made in the pc foray. I'm about to drop 600+ on a gpu alone. Many here will shrug that off, after-all the top of the line gpu's have run well over 800 dollars for years now. Keep in mind however that the most expensive investment I've ever made was a 130 dollar 4870 until now. My entire build is going to run me almost 4 grand. That's 4x as much as my last build a year ago. Why? Eyefinity, it's that simple.

I understand the frustration that many in this forum must feel concerning the adoption of DP. Even as someone that knew going in they'd have to buy 3 new monitors it has been a real pain working with that limitation. I feel for those that already have multiple DVI LCD's lying around.

I did however want to present to ATI and the guys that are trying to convince their peers that this is a viable consumer technology that there are average pc users out there that are sold by it.

For the record ATI... your documentation sucks. I've been researching this for days now and as a hobbyist I'm still at a loss as to what exactly I'm getting into. That's ok though, the fine people here at widescreen gaming have been picking up the slack and keeping us regular joes in the loop. Do a better job at 1) Letting people know what Eyefinity is, and 2) Please, for the love of god, convince someone to provide a DP monitor shootout so that us common people can make informed decisions.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2009, 16:31 

Nice post a4mula, we take the feedback on board. And to the point of telling people about Eyefinity we acknowledge that the documentation we have on AMD.com is limited at the moment, however in the new year we will be launching a new site dedicated to Eyefinity. On this site we'll cover more of the range of what Eyefinity entails, from the user experiences, to setup guides and updates as new software feature are brought in, and to the overall ecosystem support. Hopefully that should address more of the queries current, new and potential users may have.

One comment, though, I understand the realestate concerns over 3x1 landscape panels, but from a gaming perspective, give it some time and try it out. Not all games have scaling issues and we are working with developers so that they natively support the FOV's required for such configurations - the added peripheral vision can really add a new sense to gaming and make you more responsive in cases as well.

Anyway, however you chose to use it, I hope you enjoy! :)

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2009, 19:49 

I have 3x22" CRT's that I use because I need the colour accuracy for work. I must admit that I like black levels, 0 response time, and the fact that all resolutions are 'native' too.

At the moment I have to use softth for triple monitor gaming but it has it's limitations so I was excited to learn about eyefinity but hoped that a 3xdvi card might be in the works at some stage. I then heard about the DP->VGA adapters and thought I was in business.

I ordered a (very hard to find in the UK) 5870 and was about to order an adapter when I realised that, since they transcode from digital to analogue, they would be bandwidth limited. Upon further checking I confirmed that they are restricted to 60hz for higher resolutions which, whilst fine for digital displays, would be a disaster for a CRT one.

I had to cancel the entire order and visions of me enjoying gaming on 3 displays with lots of eye-candy this Christmas vanished into a puff of smoke. I do appreciate ATI looking at the area of multi-monitor gaming but I can't help but feel the implementation of 2xdvi + 1xDP has severely restricted it's applicability and hope that ATI will see the market opportunity that exists for a 3xdvi card in the future.

To call dvi 'old-tech' is a little disingenuous if you ask me. Most people would think of 'old-tech' as something a few die-hards were clinging onto rather than something 99% of people are using. Cost is an issue, you say, but to get eyefinity people are effectively being asked to pay $399 for a 5850 or $499 for a 5870 with DP adapters. Saying "we have a triple monitor card, come and get it" doesn't sound quite as good when you realise that the 3rd monitor output is only compatible with monitors that 99% of people do not have.

I really like the sound of eyefinity and wish you all the luck in the world with it but can't help wishing, like many people I suspect, that you'd had the courage of your convictions and gone the whole hog with 3xdvi.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2010, 02:11 

1x DVI (middle)
2x VGA (side ones)

20$ adapter from http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042801&p_id=5135&seq=1&format=4#

or if they dont ship it to you, buy more expensive at http://estore.circuitassembly.com/products/Display-Port-Male-to-VGA-Female-Adapter-with-built-in-chip.html?setCurrencyId=5

I bought it from Circuit Assembly because MonoPrice didnt ship to my country :(
Reviews from MonoPrice say it does work with EyeFinity

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2010, 06:26 

Another dissapointed user that 4960x1600 isn't supported.

Ati - There are so many users with 20|30|20 setup !! It is one of the most immersive, effective setups in terms of cost and immersion factor.

The internet is FILLED with people with this setup who are forced to use softth.

The first to implement portrait/landscape mix will get my, and a whole bunch of other gamers cash. The requirement of having all 3 monitors of the same resolution is just too demanding - if the requirements were a bit more flexible, then say hello to lots of profit.

From reading the Ati rep's response, Ati really aren't interested in Portrait/Landscape/Portrait (mix resolution). Heres hoping Nvidia come to the game!

In saying all this, eyefinity is a great new technology !! It's just a shame about the limitations.

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 15:20 

PLP please please please. Even those who don't have PLP want to see PLP support. It is a great res and a great screen size. 3 30 inch monitors is kind overwhelming in price and desk realestate but PLP 20x30x20 is just perfect. If AMD had PLP I'd get a high end AMD card as my next purchase for sure!

PostPosted: 26 May 2011, 15:22 

Another dissapointed user that 4960x1600 isn't supported.

Ati - There are so many users with 20|30|20 setup !! It is one of the most immersive, effective setups in terms of cost and immersion factor.

The internet is FILLED with people with this setup who are forced to use softth.

The first to implement portrait/landscape mix will get my, and a whole bunch of other gamers cash. The requirement of having all 3 monitors of the same resolution is just too demanding - if the requirements were a bit more flexible, then say hello to lots of profit.

From reading the Ati rep's response, Ati really aren't interested in Portrait/Landscape/Portrait (mix resolution). Heres hoping Nvidia come to the game!

In saying all this, eyefinity is a great new technology !! It's just a shame about the limitations.

I agree!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72