Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 02:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 17:20 

take a look at http://www.ramelectronics.net/computer-parts/computer-cables/monitor-cables/displayport-cables/displayport-to-dvi-adapter-dportm2fdvi/prodPTC00004.html

they seem to know the problem, i quote:
Note: The Displayport video signal is not compatible with DVI or HDMI, but a DisplayPort connector can pass these signals through. With most adapters the Displayport Device must be a multi-mode device that implements both HDMI/DVI and DisplayPort in order to use an adapter and make a working HDMI/DVI connection. These are active adapters that convert the signals, so they should work with any DisplayPort Device!

but they look like passive ones.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 18:03 

chineseleper, I sent them a message, regarding the Radeon 5000 series specifically. We'll see if their response has any indication of understanding/solving the issue.

Some of these options aren't that expensive, and I may just take the hit and order one of each to test. Hopefully ATI and some of their partners will have a more viable solution at some point for the native DVI audience.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2009, 05:56 
Insiders
Insiders

hoges75... I hadn't even tried HP UK. :( Then again, last time I tried to order something from them, they cancelled the order with no explanation, so not keen on trying them again. Also, given the state the £ is in at the minute against the Euro (thanks, Brown, for making the Sterling nosedive again...) €125 would actually be something insane like £145.
And the adaptor... does...not...look...quite...right http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/en/sm/WF06c/A1-329290-64265-3965876-3965876-3929966-3929969.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_UKEN

..and (like everybody else since EF was released) they are sold out!

Although this reseller http://manufacturer.bechtle.com/shop/MasterServlet;jsessionid=8e38865610adde2f4510675648a46c15ca2933310d7f07228430710dd56f7a8b?hybris_jakarta=8e38865610adde2f4510675648a46c15ca2933310d7f07228430710dd56f7a8b&i=lr1&newFE=false has them... if you can convince them you are a business!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 11:42 

Hi Guys

Still working on this have been off due to illness but back in work now :D

Cheers

Ben

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2009, 13:04 

Why are they so expensive though? We're talking a small number of components here. Why is something so basic the price of a budget range graphics card...!

These things should be no more than £20.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 00:32 

[quote]hoges75... I hadn't even tried HP UK. :( Then again, last time I tried to order something from them, they cancelled the order with no explanation, so not keen on trying them again. Also, given the state the £ is in at the minute against the Euro (thanks, Brown, for making the Sterling nosedive again...) €125 would actually be something insane like £145.
And the adaptor... does...not...look...quite...right HP link

..and (like everybody else since EF was released) they are sold out!

Although this reseller big table breaking link mk.2 has them... if you can convince them you are a business!

Yeah i noticed the HP version had no USB but the part number is correct for the USB powered version, as listed on the UK site..people just have no clue about this bit of kit just yet....as far as they are concerned DP to Dual link DVI is the same as DP to DVI

Why are they so expensive though? We're talking a small number of components here. Why is something so basic the price of a budget range graphics card...!

I'd expect the prices to come down significantly if and when DP goes mainstream... The active USB powered converters (and they are converters no adaptors really) are niche market products that are relatively new tech.....In addition to this, the manufacture would be somewhat more intensive that a standard DP to DVi and not to mention they are a bit more involved as they have to convert signals as we know that DP to DVI/HDMI is not really compatible...people have to engineer these things..

Mod edit: Didn't change anything in your post, but those table breaking links that Mach posted were driving me mad! 8)

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 12:18 

[quote]Why are they so expensive though? We're talking a small number of components here. Why is something so basic the price of a budget range graphics card...!

I'd expect the prices to come down significantly if and when DP goes mainstream... The active USB powered converters (and they are converters no adaptors really) are niche market products that are relatively new tech.....In addition to this, the manufacture would be somewhat more intensive that a standard DP to DVi and not to mention they are a bit more involved as they have to convert signals as we know that DP to DVI/HDMI is not really compatible...people have to engineer these things..

Yep, appreciate that. Just galls me that they are so expensive, especially considering they are 'only' converting one digital signal to another - you can get a USB to VGA adaptor for example for less than £40, that's doing a bit more than adjusting a timing difference.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009, 06:22 

Since this is my first post here, hi to all.

Well, recently I've made an online order from the dutch site (Kabeltje). The adapter seemd to be available (or according to the site it wasn't unavailable), so I've paid with paypal at the end of the online order. That's fine. The problem is that I'm trying to contact them via e-mail for some days now and there's no response. I haven't tried to call them yet.
Therefore, I would like to ask, has anyone actually bought this adapter from this store?
I've red that they're probably out of stock, but yet I haven't any feedback from them although I've already paid.

Edit:
I had an response from Kabeltje. All the orders that have been made until now, are valid and will be processed after the end of this month when they receive the adapters. Therefore, if there are also other people that have already paid and didn't received a feedback then wait until the end of the month.
Also they send in all European countries. For example I'm from Greece, which is in the opposite corner of Europe compared to Holland.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009, 14:01 

hi everybody !

i have the accell's active displayport to dvi-d converter and i can't apply a resolution of 1680*1050 on my 22" display...

have you tested this resolution with active adapter ?
i don't undertand why i can't , drivers allow me to do that on the two others same screens linked in DVI...

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009, 18:40 
Insiders
Insiders

Mod edit: Didn't change anything in your post, but those table breaking links that Mach posted were driving me mad! 8)
Sorry, you should a PM'd me!

Anyway Bechtle (google it) has them, and available to the public... for some bizarre reason I went to their business site. One at Bechtle search for:

HP DisplayPort to Dual Link DVI-D Cable
Reference No. NR078AA
Bechtle No. 592244

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next