Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 10:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 17:57 

Hey guys,

One problem I am having with the Dell monitor sometimes is that it doesn't refresh and loses signal to the display port. As in sometimes when you open a game the screen goes black for a second before the game loads, well the 2 side monitors load and the dell just sits their then says no signal = eyefinity fails due to loss of the display port.

I can't play dirt 2 because of this :(

I have noticed that the Dell takes about 3 seconds to change res etc and UAC in Windows where as my 2 BenQ side monitors take about 1 second. Is this due to monitor firmware or something?

Anyway around it? It's not happened much and usually does it on odd occasions but with the Dirt 2 demo it won't load the resolution without timing out and saying no signal making me turn the monitor off and back on again to fix it.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 19:22 

Hey guys,

One problem I am having with the Dell monitor sometimes is that it doesn't refresh and loses signal to the display port. As in sometimes when you open a game the screen goes black for a second before the game loads, well the 2 side monitors load and the dell just sits their then says no signal = eyefinity fails due to loss of the display port.

I can't play dirt 2 because of this :(

I have noticed that the Dell takes about 3 seconds to change res etc and UAC in Windows where as my 2 BenQ side monitors take about 1 second. Is this due to monitor firmware or something?

Anyway around it? It's not happened much and usually does it on odd occasions but with the Dirt 2 demo it won't load the resolution without timing out and saying no signal making me turn the monitor off and back on again to fix it.

Which dell monitor is this? Are you using any sort of adapter?

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 21:47 

Nope straight into the display port. It's a Dell P2210H 21.5".

It just seems to be the Dell Monitor is much slower at coming back on/off compared to my Ben Q or any other monitor I've had. UAC in Windows can take a good few seconds to pop up after the black screen and the same when loading a game. So I'm guessing my other 2 monitors are ready to go and waiting on the Dell at which point the graphics card/Windows might of thought it has timed out?

I'm not a 100% all too complicated for me hehe. Dirt 2 did manage to load once out of the 6 times I tired :P

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2009, 23:16 

So far so good...

I basically changed it from my 3rd monitor to my middle monitor (which just so happens to run the important stuff e.g. Start/Taskbar yadda yadda

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 09:58 

I am having the *exact* same issue with regard to the monitor randomly blanking out which is attached to the displayport-to-dvi active adapter.

I'm also using the adapter from Dell (that cost over $100 and is now useful only as a paperweight).

It does not appear that there is a fix yet. Is that correct? It definitely seems to be something related to the OS sending a "sleep" or "inactive" signal to the Displayport-connected monitor. I'd be curious to see if a native DP monitor would have the same blanking issues.

In any case, I'm extremely disappointed. I was really hoping to replace my TH2go with something more widely-supported. Instead, it looks like I've become a beta tester for yet another flaky PC hack :-(

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 09:58 

I am having the *exact* same issue with regard to the monitor randomly blanking out which is attached to the displayport-to-dvi active adapter.

I'm also using the adapter from Dell (that cost over $100 and is now useful only as a paperweight).

It does not appear that there is a fix yet. Is that correct? It definitely seems to be something related to the OS sending a "sleep" or "inactive" signal to the Displayport-connected monitor. I'd be curious to see if a native DP monitor would have the same blanking issues.

In any case, I'm extremely disappointed. I was really hoping to replace my TH2go with something more widely-supported. Instead, it looks like I've become a beta tester for yet another flaky PC hack :-(

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 14:47 

For those that feel comfortable flashing their BIOS (note: may void warranty) and they are seeing DP issues on their HD 5870 could I ask that you try out the following BIOS:

http://techpowerup.com/vgabios/61848/ATI.HD5870.1024.091112.html

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 16:39 

Thanks Dave, I'm welling to give it a go but can you help me with a link on flashing the newer cards. I haven't flashed a GPU in a long time, thing may have changed a bit.

Thanks in advance. :wink:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 22:36 

For those that feel comfortable flashing their BIOS (note: may void warranty) and they are seeing DP issues on their HD 5870 could I ask that you try out the following BIOS:

http://techpowerup.com/vgabios/61848/ATI.HD5870.1024.091112.html

Wow. I'd be very concerned with possibly bricking my brand new 5870 (although I do have 2 - still) via BIOS flash.

Does ATI have a tool like NiBitor (which I've used to flash Nvidia cards)?

And, while I am incredibly appreciative of the effort, I do feel as though I'm being asked to beta (or even alpha, since we're talking BIOS here) test ATI's hardware for them. This Eyefinity feature is being touted very highly for something which is this buggy. I certainly wish ATI luck with it, and I'm willing to help in any way possible.

But I can't help but be a little disappointed. :(

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 22:39 

Does anyone know if there have been blanking problems with just using a native DP monitor? I'm seriously thinking about forgetting about the DP-->DVI adapter and just getting a nice 24" HP with native DP connection.

I'm at a point in my life where $ isn't a big concern - but the time spent troubleshooting this crap is. So, anyone know if this would be a trouble-free way to go?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 48  Next