Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 26 Jun 2024, 07:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 16:35 

Soooo... is ATI looking into this. I have not received my adapter yet. But I have everything else ready. I did try a passive adapter it does show up as display but can't extend or create group with it. I already knew this would not work but have heard different storys on other forums. So I figured I would try.

I should be receiving my dell adapter on Tues and am hoping I will not have these issues.

Is ATI even supporting Eyefinity seems like they are not really bothered by it.

The thing that irritates me the most is there are even videos from ATI 5870 Manu companies showing how to hook this up and saying these active adapters work.

I was an Nvidia person but really wanted to go eyefinity so I went with the 5870 for that reason. Now if this was an Nvidia feature I guarantee they would be more supporting and looking for solutions. I am curious when they created this feature if they even tested adapters thinking well since there are only a hand full of monitors that support DP we should be sure customers are going to try and use adapters, lets test some and see what happens.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 20:24 

Just an update, My dell monitor hasn't blacked out for a good days days with a fair amount of gaming, I think it only does sometimes when my computer is really stressing out (for example, extracting while loading a game or just recovering from and install straight into loading)? That's just a guess :)

Oh God that is so non-reassuring :(

Still, I could live with that I guess. Just as a test, I managed to get Empire Total War running briefly on 3x1920x1080 and it was pretty damn glorious. Now I need to find another (discontinued) HP w2408h (great monitor btw) to go with the native DP model.

Christ - what a money pit. Still - it's a much cheaper hobby than my previous one (import tuning).

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 00:17 

Well... count me in as one more dell/bizlink dp>dvi adapter causality. I'm using 3 Samsung 2343bx monitors on a XFX 5870 and the monitor on the DP adapter flashes on and off uncontrollably. Time to RMA this POS and hopefully get my $$$ back... what a money pit.

The real unfortunate thing is... when all 3 acctually worked (for 3 straight seconds) they looked great in game and the 5870 handled the resolution with no noticeable slowdown (in MW2.) Now i'm gonna have to ditch these three monitors and get some that have native DP :(

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 05:10 

Well... count me in as one more dell/bizlink dp>dvi adapter causality. I'm using 3 Samsung 2343bx monitors on a XFX 5870 and the monitor on the DP adapter flashes on and off uncontrollably. Time to RMA this POS and hopefully get my $$$ back... what a money pit.

The real unfortunate thing is... when all 3 acctually worked (for 3 straight seconds) they looked great in game and the 5870 handled the resolution with no noticeable slowdown (in MW2.) Now i'm gonna have to ditch these three monitors and get some that have native DP :(

Hey, you only need to ditch the center one and replace it with a DP one. After all, you can only use one DP monitor anyway with the one connector.

And Yes - it is pretty incredible, isn't it? Man, if only this stupid adapter had worked. I think it must be due to something not getting passed thru from DP to DVI. And that causes the monitor to lose sync or whatever.

The only bight spot is that the DP-enabled displays tend to be of the highest quality (IPS screens). The worst thing though is my original plan to have 3 32" LCD TVs running 5760x1080 is out the window: AFAIK, there are no DP 32" TV's out there, nor is it likely there ever will be :(

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 08:17 

I have the same adaptor and have been struggling with the same issue. I spoke with a Tech Rep at ATI today and he even said that he had fielded a few calls concerning it. He suggested switching it to all the monitors on the eyefinity to see if it does it and switching through multiple cables (all of which I have done). The best result I have had so far is to use my short extra thick DVI cable that came with my old Matrox Triple Head 2 Go. I have 3 seperate sets of USB mobo ports on the back of my desktop, and am using one of the ones with nothing else beside it. USB cables only draw 12 volts max (not alot of power) so I doubt that is the issue. I think it is something with the architecture of the adaptor itself that is causing the disruption. I also rolled back to the 9.10 Catalyst drivers to see if that helps.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2009, 09:13 

Like I said above, I think it must be due to something not getting passed thru from DP to DVI on the adapter. Some kind of "keep-alive" signal is getting lost. It's exactly as if the monitor is going into sleep mode.

Anyway, I officially give up. I'm ordering a 24" DP monitor on Monday. Now, if ATI would just hurry up with CrossfireX compatibility, I'd be really happy. I'm guessing all those pixels would sure like to have my 2nd 5870 doing something besides just sitting there(!).

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 01:09 

I am trying some parts I got from Radio shack to see if it makes any difference. I got an AC to USB Power Adaptor 5 Volts (Enercell brand) and an Active Extension Cable from Gigaware. I had read somewhere that this might be caused by some slight disuption in the power through the usb, so I am trying to keep the current as stable as possible. So far it still happens, but it is not as often and it waits like 15-30 min between blinks. Earlier if it got started, it would happen back to back. Not great but definately usable.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 07:12 

I am trying some parts I got from Radio shack to see if it makes any difference. I got an AC to USB Power Adaptor 5 Volts (Enercell brand) and an Active Extension Cable from Gigaware. I had read somewhere that this might be caused by some slight disuption in the power through the usb, so I am trying to keep the current as stable as possible. So far it still happens, but it is not as often and it waits like 15-30 min between blinks. Earlier if it got started, it would happen back to back. Not great but definately usable.

Yes, I agree that this seems like the problem. Definitely, I think we've isolated it down to the adapter itself as the culprit. I was also using an active USB hub to see if it made any difference, but it didn't for me.

Overall, the adapter idea just seems half-baked. Which, as I've said, is a real shame because of the possibilities offered by, say, a triple 32" LCD TV setup. Or, even better, 3 nice Panasonic 50" 720p plasma's (I can't see the difference on plasma between 720p and 1080p unless I'm less than 2 feet from the display).

I was really wanting to do something like that (especially the three 50" - that would have just been amazing). I wonder: Has anyone tried a different adapter than the Dell/Bizlink? Seems like we all ordered it based on the initial recommendation made by some dude here. Is it possible (even probable) that simply going with a different adapter would solve all our problems?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 10:27 

I wonder: Has anyone tried a different adapter than the Dell/Bizlink? Seems like we all ordered it based on the initial recommendation made by some dude here. Is it possible (even probable) that simply going with a different adapter would solve all our problems?

I went ahead and ordered the one from Amazon (it's aobut the same price as the one from Dell and looks exactly the same) although it is a different brand than that Bizlink one from Dell. Should be here by Tuesday, so I will see if it gets rid of this problem. Your right though Kondor, ATI really should have anticipated this issue when developing Eyefinity in the first place. Oh well, work with what we got b/c I refuse to go back to my Th2Go unless I absolutely have to.

Here is the link to Amazon, some maker named Accell:

http://www.amazon.com/Accell-UltraAV-B087B-002B-DisplayPort-Dual-Link/dp/B002ISVI3U

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2009, 12:22 

Has anyone tried to do the bios flash suggested by Dave yet. I have heard of two guys who have done it and they have (in not so many words) say it works, no more blinking.

They also mentioned that before you flash your card to make sure the file is exactly 128KB. The guys fried his card because the bios he downloaded was corrupted only 72KB but was able to recover.

And may I ask what the best program to use to do a safe flash for these new cards. TY in advance. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 48  Next