Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 07:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 17:20 

:cry:

Just chiming in here, I have the same random screen blanking issues with the Accell active displayport adapter purchased from Amazon. System specs are:
Gigabyte EP35-DS3R
2x2GB OCZ 1066
Enermax 600Watt
Q9450 Proc
Diamond ATI 5770

I have tried several brands of monitor and cable, and like some folks are reporting, anything beyond 1280x1024 on the displayport seems to aggrivate this issue. Anything below this resolution, independent of monitor or cable, will run mostly stable with no random screen blanking. I have been working with HP 2045w's, and Samsung 204bw's. Both are semi crappy i realize but they both exhibit this issue, the HP's tend to just go blank, whereas the samsungs, about half the time, go garbled and then their osm complains about out of range sync, the other half, good ol' blaking...

If i use my old samsung 19inch, forgive me for not knowing the model exactly right now, not at home atm, at 1280x1024 and then let any 2 of the other 20 inchers just scale it, things work fine, no blanking.

Now from all the research I've done so far, and interestingly enough all roads seem to lead back to THIS forum, there are 2 fixes for this:

1. I saw one post, with no further support from anyone else, saying that RMA'ing the adapter resulted in one that did not blank out, which would SEEM to be supported by the number of folks claiming success on the first try, when using the Accell/Bizlink active adapter. Now if any of the success claiming folks can say they are using anything larger than a 19 inch at 1280x1024 on that display port adapter, I'm ready to hear it.

2. I saw several posts eluding to the dreaded "firmware patch". All of them claiming that afterward, their problems were solved. I'm not scared of firmware patches, but if some folks are saying that the displayport adapter is working fine at hi-res, then it would seem to be maybe a bit overzealous, considering the ever present risk of a bad flash run...

Everything else is hot air or a separate issue.

Now, if the voltage on the displayport really is underpowered due to some flaw in driver or firmware, then Accell's range of tolerance in their adapters performance in respect to QA testing is laughable. And it would seem far more practical to expect the firmware patch and or some future driver update to resolve this, as opposed to buying 10 Accell adapters and praying for at least 1 that doesn't impede the signal passed 1280x1024 res with respect to plugging it in to a ATI 5000 series video card.

In any case i seek the advise of my peers on this one, cause GRID on a 3x20 inch widescreen is just too fantastic to play it any other way now. IS there going to be a ATI advisory in the form of a firmware or driver update to resolve this? Should i risk the unsupported firmware update or hold my horses? Thanks for the consideration in advanced.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 18:42 

Hold on until the new year.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 19:22 

:cry:

Just chiming in here, I have the same random screen blanking issues with the Accell active displayport adapter purchased from Amazon. System specs are:

1. I saw one post, with no further support from anyone else, saying that RMA'ing the adapter resulted in one that did not blank out, which would SEEM to be supported by the number of folks claiming success on the first try, when using the Accell/Bizlink active adapter. Now if any of the success claiming folks can say they are using anything larger than a 19 inch at 1280x1024 on that display port adapter, I'm ready to hear it.

2. I saw several posts eluding to the dreaded "firmware patch". All of them claiming that afterward, their problems were solved. I'm not scared of firmware patches, but if some folks are saying that the displayport adapter is working fine at hi-res, then it would seem to be maybe a bit overzealous, considering the ever present risk of a bad flash run...

I have to agree on all accounts, to me it seems that about 50% and maybe more of the Bizlink (ACCELL) adapters work and the others do not work at higher resolutions no matter what, worse all the images of the adapters from Sapphire and others look to be the same Bizlink adapter re-branded again, so I see no chance that they will be any better.
Personally as for firmware, I'm unwilling to risk a 400 dollars card in the hope that it will fix a problem that either Bizlink or AMD should have been aware of and already fixed (I'll RMA the card first for one that works if that is the solution), let the manufacture fix there own problem.

Having communicated with Bizlink support it seems that they are unwilling to admit that there adapter does not work with all monitors or that the adapter could even be a problem, while it is easy to determine from these and other forums that some adapters work and others do not, so that means if no monitor or cable is changed then it is a 100% adapter based issue.

My current plan is to just continue to hound them until they admit to the issue and replace the adapter free of charge as it is faulty. I'd suggest that everyone with a similar issue do the same (even if you already returned the device for one that works), Bizlink needs to understand that there QA process is crap and that the product they are shipping is broken so that it improves for other people.

Also if mailing ACCELL support include the following information:
1. OS
2. Monitor brands and Models
3. Cable Brand and Model (that is not always easy, but luckily mine are from monoprice)
4. EDID from the monitors (which I could not provided under Windows 7)
USE: http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm
5. Adapter Model and BIOS revision (not sure what good BIOS does as I'm unwilling to risk a 5870 on a BIOS upgrade).

ERIC

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 20:00 

fwiw, while I haven't researched the issue much, my blinking DP connected monitor appears to be linked to Stand-by Mode which would be consistent with the comments made earlier by the ATI rep.

When coming out of Stand-By, my DP connected monitor blinks or looses display as others have experienced. In addition, the Windows Explorer process appears to hang (Start menu has an hourglass). Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB on the DP>DVI adapter, or unplugging and reconnecting the DVI cable from the monitor, appears to resolve the display issue, however, Windows Explorer does not recover.

Upon hitting reset (cannot shutdown), Windows 7 once again 'resumes' and everything is back to 100%.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 21:33 

Thusfar the bios flash worked for me, so +1 in support of that hair raising method.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2009, 23:44 

hhhhhhmmmmm, ok so ATI guy eludes to some forthcoming advisory, ill take that into advisement...

but, as I am a creature of obsession, without a hard release date on the fix, I'm afraid that I'll be compelled to reload this things firmware. Cause I can close my eyes and see 5000x1000 IL-2 Sturmovik and like a wise man once said, "They keep calling me"

SO, that being said I want to flash, but all the flash discussion thus far relates ONLY to the asus 5870 variety.

I'm using the 5770 from Diamond, and found the repository for 5770 unlocked bios from various manufacturers, but the big question is "which one?" ATI guy said in a previous post that "the displayport drive strength" was increased on the recommended 5870 bios. So i need to know which of the 5770 bios available have this alteration to the drive strength.

Thanks again guys, its nice to have like minded people to knock heads with.

VIVA stronghold opposition.

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 04:05 

So what is the certified method of doing this. Cause im looking at over a grand worth of stuff on my desk and it don work

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 08:59 

Yes +1 for me to on the BIOS flash. I have never flashed a GPU before so it was risky but since i did it i have had no issues. I play every night games..surf the net and for more than 4 to 5 hours. I am running 3 x 22" LCD's with res of 1920x1080. (x3 )

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 16:12 

So can anyone speak for which of the 5770 bios' i should try on this Diamond 5770? Anyone out there flashed a 5770 to cure this ailment or has it all been 5870's so far?

PostPosted: 23 Dec 2009, 19:55 

So can anyone speak for which of the 5770 bios' i should try on this Diamond 5770? Anyone out there flashed a 5770 to cure this ailment or has it all been 5870's so far?

Same question here except for the 5750. My current BIOS version is 012.014.000.004 and I do not know where to get an updated one for the 5750. Waiting to see if Dave Baumann might be able to post one, or if anyone else knows if an updated 5750 BIOS exists?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 48  Next