Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 10:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 04:57 
Editors
Editors

Your making it very tempting to get one of these. I think though I like the idea of it more than really having a need for it.

If I keep the original stands that will give me more stability and spread the weight out more on my desk (and hide the cord mess behind them :D)

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 02:28 

If you're after the upgrade kit, for your existing DS100, that will allow you to use 3x24" monitors out of the box you need to order the Long Crossbar Extender Kit with part #97-447-200.

This kit will allow you to upgrade a dual monitor DS100 stand (#33-322-200) or triple monitor DS100 stand (#33-323-200). And is the long 24" kit that Scooby talks about in his first post.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2009, 23:50 

Thanks NZCoyote for posting the part numbers on those items. The only thing is that those kits are hard to fine. I was lucky enough to find them at Mwave and I think they still have the shorter extension (19") kits available.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 20:47 

Np. I needed the part numbers to explicitly spell out to a local online retailer exactly what I wanted them to special order. (The long extension arms and the 28" central mounting pole.)

I'm more thinking about future upgrades rather than right now i.e. if I buy it now it won't have gone out of production when the next upgrade cycle hits me in a a couple of years. You think you had trouble getting them, try to buy them in New Zealand!!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009, 23:33 
Editors
Editors

Thanks NZCoyote for posting the part numbers on those items. The only thing is that those kits are hard to fine. I was lucky enough to find them at Mwave and I think they still have the shorter extension (19") kits available.

what was your total cost from mwave for the whole kit, not just the longer arm. Or did you have to buy the normal kit with the short arm and then buy the longer arm in addition?

Does the long arm part# come with the brackets and everything?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 04:02 

@ViciousXUSMC, sorry m8 for the late reply.

I got the DS100 Dual at first never thought I'd go tri. Then when I got the 24" so I ordered the the Short Extension kit as their long one were out of stock.

Current Mwave Prices:

DS100 Triple...$252.91 (in stock)
DS100 Dual....$170.26 (in stock) Note: got cheaper :D
DS100 Long Extension Kit.....$140.12 (out of stock)
DS100 Short Extension Kit...$140.12 (in stock)

All Extention kits well come with a center bracket and that all you would need to make your dual to a triple.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 13:31 

@NZCoyote, your on the money on that my friend. The clamps holding the monitors can be adjusted to move left/right and swivel but not up or down. To adjust the the level of the two outside LCDs I added a 1/16" thick washer on the bottom section between the clamp and the extension arm. I'll try to take a picture of that soon.

The way I had the extension arms set in that pic was to show that the smaller 19" extension arm can extend far enough to fit up to a 30" LCD. When I finalize my setup I will adjust the LCD clamp to be right at the end of the slot and finally move both outside sections towards the center.

Looks like I need to take a few more pictures...more to gang. :D

First time poster, long time fan...

Regarding the ability to fit 3x1 30" LCDs in landscape, do you actually think this is possible with the extension arms? If not, would there be enough vertical clearance on the base to mount 3x1 30" in portrait?

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 14:32 

Welcome to the forum harmattan.

If you look at the image below you will notice that I still have a few inches of play on my 19" short extension arm, 2-3/4" to be exact. After looking at it again I can still extend the arm another 1-1/2" more on each side.

So I would say yes on the landscape setup using 3 30" monitors BUT just to be sure can you give me the width of your 30" monitor in inches. That way I can confirm.

The DS100 Dual/Triple comes with a metal tube that measures 2" OD x 14.5" tall. Three 24" in portrait will work. You may have to just buy a 2" metal pipe and cut it to say 17"-18" long and then you can do three 30" in portrait mode...3600x1920! :shock:

I would recommend that when adding three monitors 24" or larger that you secure the stand to your desk. The manufactures did not design the DS100 stand to accommodate three 24" or larger monitors as it gets front heavy. This is just my suggestion and recommendation if you feel that your setup is stable, then great. So proceed with caution.

Scooby :wink:

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 15:16 

Thanks for the response scooby

My HP LP3065s measure:

3x 27.2W x 9.5 x 23.2H inches

= 81.6W

If all three 30"s don't fit, I have the option of surrounding one 30" with two 28" monitors which would shave off about 2 inches. In this case, dimensions would be as follows:

1x 27.2W x 9.5 x 23.2H
2x 26.3W x 8.3 x 19.1H

= 78.8W

Was thinking I might need to add a few inches to the stand to put them in portrait... does the 14.5" cylinder detach from the base or is it welded on? If welded, I suppose I could get a smaller 3-4 inch cylinder for an extention and fix it to the top with a fitting.

Thanks for heads up on locking the base down. I'll be sure to bolt it.

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2009, 23:57 

...My HP LP3065s measure 3x 27.2W x 9.5 x 23.2H inches...
... does the 14.5" cylinder detach from the base or is it welded on?...

The central mounting pole attaches to the base via a grub screw so can be swapped out for another with a suitable O.D.

The maximum monitor width according to Ergotron for the triple with long crossbar extension, setup how Ergotron designed it, is 24.5" each or 73.5" total. This is for a monitor with a panel thickness of 4" though if it is thicker then the available width is less.

You need to gain approximately an extra 11 inches of crossbar width (total), from tip to tip, to fit the 3x 30" monitors you listed.

You need to gain approximately an extra 9 inches of crossbar width (total), from tip to tip, to fit the 2x 28" and 1x30" monitors you listed.

You should be able to get this extra length using the long crossbar kit and Scooby's modification to the DS100.

I don't know if I'd be happy mounting all that weight on such long levers. As Scooby says I would also recommend clamping the base to your desk to prevent it tipping forward. Currently I've got a strip of aluminum flat bar under the front of the base to rotate the monitors up a bit and move the C.O.G. back a little.