Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 06 Oct 2024, 15:44

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 23:01 

ok, i just ordered a HD5770.

i am disappointed with the fact that the windows architechture in vista and windows 7 does not allow horizontal and vertical span feature like in windows XP.

GETTING TO THE POINT..

can I use Eye-finity to span the desktop properly?

for games like FSX and DCS black shark, i want to be able to run these program in FULLSCREEN and NOT in WINDOWED MODE....

comments? suggestions? i would like to have a special configuration other than triplehead, (because the desktop spans fine with TH2G).. maybe even to go to four monitors using TH2G in conjunction with eye-finity...

PostPosted: 12 Nov 2009, 23:51 
Editors
Editors

You can setup your desktop in any one of numerous ways.

Eyefinity itself is a SLS technology, single large surface.

It makes all of your monitors 1 big monitor, no matter what OS you use its going to act like one giant monitor, that means start menu and stuff on the far left and things on the far right that would be on the right.

To alleviate this dont use SLS for your desktop stuff only for games, instead use a extended desktop. Disable all but one monitor in your ATI control panel and then when you re-enable a monitor that you disabled you will see the option of "clone" or "extend" use the extend option.

When you have it all setup, create a profile for it so you can toggle back to it quickly and easily.

I use 3x24" use the center monitor as the primary and use Display Fusion program to add task bars to the side monitors.

PostPosted: 13 Nov 2009, 20:02 

thank you for the explanation..

i really hope this will be the answer to the windows 7 desktop taskbar problem.

now i have something to play with..although i have to get a displayport monitor...

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 02:21 

[...]
When you have it all setup, create a profile for it so you can toggle back to it quickly and easily.
[...]

I tought as much and tried but looks like every time i recall a stored profile it is NEVER what i saved, sometimes it only turns on 2 out of 3 monitors and often changes the position i assigned to them with the result of an UNUSABLE profile feature, i use W7 Ultimate...

I was also disappointed that i can't maximize a window inside one single monitor rather then across all three when i'm in surround....

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 02:35 

Assign a hotkey to each profile. You usually have to hit the keys 2 to 3 times to get the correct settings.

If you're in Eyefinity mode, Windows just sees your 3 monitors as one single large monitor. I don't see how you can maximize a window into just one monitor in Single large surface mode. But you can do that if you're just using good old Windows "extended" mode.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 03:02 
Insiders
Insiders

Yes, EyeFinity is the answer to XP span modes in Vista and Win 7.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 04:09 
Editors
Editors

[quote]
[...]
[...]

I tought as much and tried but looks like every time i recall a stored profile it is NEVER what i saved, sometimes it only turns on 2 out of 3 monitors and often changes the position i assigned to them with the result of an UNUSABLE profile feature, i use W7 Ultimate...

I was also disappointed that i can't maximize a window inside one single monitor rather then across all three when i'm in surround....

As said just above me some of the profiles take 2 or 3 times in a row to fully activate.

Its a but explained to us by an ATI rep due to how windows has to first move to clone mode, then to this and then to that, the process cant be done in just one move so you have to use the profile 3x in a row for eyefinity.

Also for me for some reason I cant get the profile to work usually if I use the tray icon and activate it I have to use the desktop shortcut or a hotkey.

Even if you do it full manual each time it takes me about 30 seconds to change to any mode or setup I want so I consider it a small annoyance at worst but nothing major.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2009, 06:28 

If you're in Eyefinity mode, Windows just sees your 3 monitors as one single large monitor. I don't see how you can maximize a window into just one monitor in Single large surface mode. But you can do that if you're just using good old Windows "extended" mode.

Matrox TH2GO drivers allowed to do that even if they were buggy and sometimes required to reconfigure it...

Btw profiles do not work for me even with that method, it will just create 3 clones...
Crappy ATI drivers....

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2009, 01:13 
Administrators
Administrators

Boy I am struggling to get this to work.

Failed Attempts
I can make an Eyefinity 3-monitor desktop, no problems. Save as a profile, assign a hotkey, job done. So I thought.

Went out of the CCC to make a singlescreen setup. Using Windows, set the resolution to 1680x1050. This produced the single screen duplicated on the outside monitors. Disabled 'Extend desktop to this display' on the two outside monitors and ended up with a singlescreen in the centre. Sweet!

Went back into CCC, saved profile as Singlescreen. Assigned a hotkey. Quit out of CCC. Activated hotkey to go from Single to Triple, heard the sound of Windows hardware disconnect, screen blanked, and returned still in Singlescreen.

Tried the hotkey multiple times as suggested - nothing.

Tried the hotkey back to Singlescreen even though I was still in Singlescreen, screen blanked, then returned still in Singlescreen.

I tried creating shortcuts - nothing.

Halfway There Attempt
I can create a Triplescreen Profile and a Singlescreen profile and can toggle between the two ok, but only if I leave the outside two monitors on (ie 3 x single screens). It boggles the eyes. As soon as I disable the other two monitors, that's when it all goes to tears and refuses to return to Triplescreen.

I've tried a variety of other ways but doesn't seem to matter what I do, I can't get this to work with just one centre screen on.

Very frustrating, any tips? Which monitors do people use for singlescreen, the DP monitor or a DVI monitor? I just want to be able to toggle between single and triplescreens!

The other thing I don't understand is when you create a group, it asks you if the order of the monitors is correct. I chose no, then proceed to click in the blue monitors etc, and the first time it always stuffs it up! Second time always seems to work doing the same thing tho!

I am running 9-11 with a 5850 on Windows 7 64bit.

Help!?

UPDATE:

Ok so I got it working, sort of.

If I use the DP monitor as the singlescreen, so the DP monitor never gets disabled, it works. If the DP monitor gets disabled at any stage, it's game over. I do need to click on the shortcut 3 times to get it to return to Eyefinity mode, as posted above. From Eyefinity to the single desktop just takes the one go.

Maybe if I make a macro to run the hotkey three times it might not seem so silly? I understand this is a known problem.

UPDATE 2:
If I shut the PC down in singlescreen mode and then restart it later, it restarts in singlescreen mode. However, I cannot return to the 3 screen profile from here anymore via Hotkey. It returns to clone mode, but then fails to continue to the single large display. I can do it via Shortcut, however. And after I do it via Shortcut, I can do it via hotkey again.

Alternatively, if I hotkey to Triplescreen so it goes to 3 screens cloned, hotkey it back to singlescreen, then hotkey it back to Triplescreen three times, it works.

Weird!

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2009, 17:58 

Yeah kudos go to ATI coders....... :evil:
One reason i always tried to stay out of ATI grasp was their inability to produce quality drivers...still this card was too good...got it for free just selling out my old matrox TH2GO.