Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 03 Oct 2024, 21:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 14:02 
Founder
Founder

Discussion thread for this review:

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php/ATI_Radeon_5870_1GB_-_Featured_Review

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 17:24 

I liked the review, it highlighted parts of Eyefinity that ATI/AMD can do better but at the same time gives them credit what they done to the widescreengaming-community!

In most parts I think ATI/AMD have made a such great thing with Eyefinity that I have sold my TH2Go and bought myself a HD5870-card. Might upgrade later to a 2GB card ;).

I hope they will support and evolve the Eyefinity-technology beyond my wildest imagination.

// X

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 20:02 

Most of your views were what I also find lacking and needing the 5870, so for me you were spot on. :mrgreen:

2GB Version and more DP inputs would be the ideal card for me. That is the reason I really want to know more about the Eyefinity edition card.

Please have 2GB! My u2410's need them.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 20:09 
Insiders
Insiders

I think you really hit everything on the nail. I really do hate nonidentical connections. It becomes a pain to setup the colors on monitors even if they are the same model.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2009, 20:11 
Founder
Founder

Thanks for the feedback. I do think that ATI has done a great thing with EF, but I think it is our responsibility as the community to point out where we see areas for improvement. Other sites like HardOCP and whatnot are not going to focus on EF like we will, so we have to be that loud voice.

I wanted to put out an honest review - good and bad, warts and all. I want the user community to see that we are honest and can be hard hitting. I hope it didn't come across as too negative. I really do like the card and like Eyefinity.

Dave Baumann's sign in the forum says ATI Radeon HD 5800 Series Graphics Cards – Designed by the Community. He only found this community after the 5870 launched, so I want to be part of that design process going forward.

I think you really hit everything on the nail. I really do hate nonidentical connections. It becomes a pain to setup the colors on monitors even if they are the same model.

After talking with Dave, I understand why those decisions were made. They needed to make the initial card launch hit as big of a market as possible. It's not what I would want as a multi-monitor enthusiast, but the fixes to those wants are in the pipeline.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 06:41 

I wanted to put out an honest review - good and bad, warts and all. I want the user community to see that we are honest and can be hard hitting. I hope it didn't come across as too negative. I really do like the card and like Eyefinity.

Excellent review. I didn't think it was coming across too negative.

Constructive criticism is good. Its a win win situation. As long as the other side is receptive.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 17:32 

Thanks for the review. While I am pretty sure the Eyefinity will be my next card, one of the main reasons I am holding off is the lack of bezel management. I find it a bit odd the ATI would put out a card in today's gaming world and not offer this feature right from the get go. For me and my flight simulation, this is a "must have" requirement. So I am waiting to see if how serious they are on implementing this. Who knows, by then Nvidia may offer something similar.

Ho-Ho-Ho!

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 18:00 

Everything takes time to develop - would you have held back Eyefinity for the sake of having bezel management? Given the number of people that are enjoying the feature / capability I think its the right decision not to.

As we've stated, bezel mangement is being developed and will be in an upcoming driver.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 18:38 
Editors
Editors

Everything takes time to develop - would you have held back Eyefinity for the sake of having bezel management? Given the number of people that are enjoying the feature / capability I think its the right decision not to.

As we've stated, bezel mangement is being developed and will be in an upcoming driver.

Given that Matrox didn't have bezel management early in the TH2Go lifecycle, I fail to understand why the lack of bezel management right now in EyeFinity is such a negative... it'll come. If we still lack bezel management in six months to a year, then is the time to start complaining. ;)

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2009, 19:38 

Given that Matrox didn't have bezel management early in the TH2Go lifecycle, I fail to understand why the lack of bezel management right now in EyeFinity is such a negative... it'll come. If we still lack bezel management in six months to a year, then is the time to start complaining. ;)

I think its a fair complaint, we are not early in the surround lifecycle anymore. Its kind of like saying "The first cars didn't have seatbelts, so it doesn't really matter that these new electric sports cars don't have them."

I mean its obviously not that bad, but I can see their point. It's a new technology moving into an existing market without a feature that people are accustom to having.