Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 07:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 17:13 

bowenac, for starters, what is discussed in that post is a specific fix related only to the Hotkey saves. The comment on the registry is not something that is incorrect or will be changed, it is just how Windows works, but, again, I stress this is only related to the Hotkeys.

Now, in general, if you do not know what you are doing with the registry you should not go hacking around there try to "sort stuff out". The registry key that this thread is adcovating is neither a.) anything to do with Eyefinity or Display, or b.) related to the comments about the Hotkeys.

So are you saying the hotkey/shortcuts is a windows problem and it will not be fixed by ATI? And I do know my way around registry files. I have done a lot over the years with registry files. I have 3 classes left for my BS in Computer Science. But yea I am not the one who came up with that solution it was posted on other forums. It was given with instructions on exactly what to do. I do not think someone would have posted it on a forum if it caused problems. And yea I do agree if one is non techy and or beginner user then it would not be a good idea to mess with registry settings.

And again that registry key IS clearly for video drivers so why are you saying it has nothing to do with display haha. Every where that I have searched on that registry key always comes up with video driver. So it is odd to me that you are denying that it has anything to do with a video driver or display. If you don't think that registry has ANYTHING to do with video driver settings, then what is that registry for?

I know you can't openly admit to the problem or any problem that would not look good for you guys however you can't deny that this registry is video driver related.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 17:58 

So are you saying the hotkey/shortcuts is a windows problem and it will not be fixed by ATI?

No. Read it again. I am saying that when the Hotkey fix is in place the settings for the Hotkeys may not be kept from on driver install to another because when you do a driver install it installs a completely new registry branch for the new driver revision, orphaning the old branch.

Again, the comments concerning the registry do not pertain to any issues.

And again that registry key IS clearly for video drivers so why are you saying it has nothing to do with display haha. Every where that I have searched on that registry key always comes up with video driver. So it is odd to me that you are denying that it has anything to do with a video driver or display. If you don't think that registry has ANYTHING to do with video driver settings, then what is that registry for?

The particular branch is related to the video drivers, but the actual registry key being talked about is not related to Eyefinity, or its operation in any way.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 18:04 

[quote]So are you saying the hotkey/shortcuts is a windows problem and it will not be fixed by ATI?

No. Read it again. I am saying that when the Hotkey fix is in place the settings for the Hotkeys may not be kept from on driver install to another because when you do a driver install it installs a completely new registry branch for the new driver revision, orphaning the old branch.

Again, the comments concerning the registry do not pertain to any issues.

The particular branch is related to the video drivers, but the actual registry key being talked about is not related to Eyefinity, or its operation in any way.

I did read it and you said "the registry is not something that is incorrect or will be changed, it is just how Windows works"

Well either way the hotkey shortcut issue has been there since I first installed the card. It has always been a problem before I installed any new drivers. I guess I just don't understand what you are saying but it seems like you are saying from one driver install to another orphaning the old branch. And that does not make sense at all.

And this fix was not JUST for Eyefinity mode and the problem is not just with Eyefinity mode but it is a problem with Eyefinity, Extended, anything and everything driver/display related. It was said from the person that posted this fix else where that it was related to "ULPS (Ultra Low Power State) is flawed and causes issues" so....Or are you admitting the problem to be with Eyefinity alone and this is not the fix for it. Are you aware of the problem I am referencing?

I am glad that you actually admit the registry to be video driver related I thought you were completely denying it.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2010, 19:15 
Editors
Editors

I'm glad that you're searching for solutions to the various problems users are facing, however when an ATI rep wholly confirms this 'fix' has no impact on EyeFinity, it is wise and logical to believe him.

And you are often pointed out as "the bad guy" because your posts are overly confrontational. We know your angry. We've known for a while now. It does not need to be repeated within every post.
Contributions are fantastic and welcomed. Continued stabs, aggressive and argumental posts will see you taking another vacation from the boards.

Plus, 2 other users in this thread have stated it doesn't work even before Dave replied.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2010, 11:01 
Editors
Editors

I checked on my non-EyeFinity 4870X2 rig, and my 4850 rig, and even got out my spare 3870 and popped it in a system this morning to check whether that registry entry is present. Windows 7 x64 and XP32.

It is present for all of those cards.

None of which can 'do' EyeFinity.

That registry entry might well be graphics related, but it is nothing to do with any issues EyeFinity users are having.

Best case scenario is that changing this is a placebo effect.

Worst case scenario is it breaks something 'in the background' that we have no idea about.

If I had an nVidia rig with Windows installed at the minute (my nVidia rig is currently linux only) I'd check in that for it too. I'll check my laptop for it later to see whether it's there in Vista.