Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 07 Jul 2024, 06:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 17:05 

It seems that getting these 'validated' dongles to work is like crapshoot, works for some but not for others. I wonder if monitor make and models play a part in this awful mess. Guess I lucked out ordering the adapter/dongle from Amazon, but then....I've always been lucky buying hardware w/o researching. :oops: Hope you guys have better luck sorting this out.... :)

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2010, 17:12 

It seems that getting these 'validated' dongles to work is like crapshoot, works for some but not for others. I wonder if monitor make and models play a part in this awful mess. Guess I lucked out ordering the adapter/dongle from Amazon, but then....I've always been lucky buying hardware w/o researching. :oops: Hope you guys have better luck sorting this out.... :)

What firmware does your cable say it has? should be a white sticker on the USB cable that says F/W: #

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2010, 23:58 
Editors
Editors

Bios upgrade seems to be the thing:

There are several active DisplayPort adapters available in the market today, and we expect more to be introduced in the near future. With the advent of these new adapters, AMD constantly strives for compatibility between our graphics cards and these devices. For maximum interoperability, we have updated and optimized our video bios to support new DisplayPort adapters in the market. Video bios updates will soon be available from the graphics card manufacturer.

http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/display-flashing-when-connected-to-displayport.aspx

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 01:53 

The version of the adpater is important as well. The 1.01 FW referenced on the site has been qualified; the "FW 034" version that appears to be floating around a lot should generally be OK, but 1.01 is best.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 06:19 

The version of the adpater is important as well. The 1.01 FW referenced on the site has been qualified; the "FW 034" version that appears to be floating around a lot should generally be OK, but 1.01 is best.

Thanks for the confirmation, friend. I had a hunch that this had something to do with my problem. I would assume that anything below the validated version would have issues. I just wanted to make sure that the fw i was using is in fact not version 1.01 masked at 034..

Hope my new one is version 1.01.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 08:39 

Is there a way to identify the FW of an adapter or even flash it to a later version. My Accell adapter has no markings or stickers indicating the FW version.

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 20:09 

I don't really think that there is any way to identify the type of F/W it has without a sticker identifying it. I have spoken with Accell about the issue and they had me send an email to their tech support. That was about a week ago? And I still have yet to hear a reply. From what the person over the phone told me... there is no way to flash the F/W on the DP-DVI Dongle. I'll keep you guys up-to-date on anything Accell let's me know, though I doubt they are going to reply to me at this point.

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2010, 23:36 

Accell just e-mailed me this about my dongle, so they don't know what the issue is either.. haha

Hello John, our team is being informed that the card maker, Asus, is about to release an official vBIOS. You may contact them if waiting for the release is an option for you.

Best regards,
Technical Support
http://www.accellcables.com

-Tanshin

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2010, 12:47 

Hi just followed this post.

So the B087B-001B (1.01 version) is an active adapter then??

Because when i search on google for this, i only get the passive models?

*EDIT* i was wrong B087B-002B is the passive one..

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2010, 01:05 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXV92W/ref=asc_df_B001CXV92W1010773?smid=A2YLYLTN75J8LR&tag=shopzilla_mp_1108-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B001CXV92W

not sure if anyone actually tried this since it was listed as a validated dongle.

but at $29.99 -> $32.xx after tax shipped it's worth a shot. besides amazon have a good/easy return policy

I just ordered it. I hope it works for my setup Asus 5870 + 24" BenQ 1200p monitor.

Worst case:
- it doesn't work and I have to return it..

Best case:
- It can replace my bulky working usb/active adapter with something smaller + nicer looking
- frees up a USB port
- I can sell my current active adapter to some other douche bag and have money left over.

Wish me luck.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next