Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 18 Sep 2024, 10:54

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 14:23 

[quote]I can't decide yet, but trying our Portrait mode tonight in WoW looked amazing thats for sure. 3200x1920 is awesome, the vertical height is just breath taking, you see so much more game world height it is crazy.

To me my biggest beef with Landscape mode is the extreme distortion I see in games, WoW looks pretty bad on the 2 side displays in Landscape, very stretched out, that looks freaky weird, but in Portrait mode it looked almost perfect.

I think the new 6-Finity card coming from AMD, the one with 6 Display Ports on the rear of the card will be perfect for a nice 5x1 Portrait setup, imagine 5 - 24" all in Portrait mode of grand total 6000x1920 resolution, that will be the one to rule them all.

I am pretty sure you see the same amount of verticle game world with 3x portorate as you do with a single monitor in landscape or 3x monitors in landscape (as long as its hor+)

So yeah you get a crazy high resolution but other than that I think your just emulating having a larger single landscape monitor but with 2 bezels down the middle.

To me though, when I had the 3 - Dell2408WFP's in landscape at 5760x1200res, all my games looked freaked out, way too stretched and distorted looking on the two side monitors, to the point it looked horrible. And it was so wide you had to turn your head left and right to see anything on the sides.

While Portrait mode seems just about right for triple screen gaming. Your still getting almost 50% wider screen than a single 30" display, and way more vertical height. But that fish eye lens or distortion is all gone now. It just seems like it is more in your face now, all three screens standing upright tall, puts the game right there in front of you, you can only see the three monitors. Where as Landscape you can still see the wall or something above and behind your displays and seem to lose some of the immersion factor in widescreen.

I still think the hands down best option will be 5x1 in Portrait mode, 5 - 24" monitors would give a 6000x1920 resolution. AMD has some 6-Finity card coming out soon I heard, the rear of the card will have 6 mini-Display Port connections, allowing a total of 6 screens to run off a single card. I would upgrade to that, and two more 2408WFP's.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 15:11 
Editors
Editors

[quote][quote]I can't decide yet, but trying our Portrait mode tonight in WoW looked amazing thats for sure. 3200x1920 is awesome, the vertical height is just breath taking, you see so much more game world height it is crazy.

To me my biggest beef with Landscape mode is the extreme distortion I see in games, WoW looks pretty bad on the 2 side displays in Landscape, very stretched out, that looks freaky weird, but in Portrait mode it looked almost perfect.

I think the new 6-Finity card coming from AMD, the one with 6 Display Ports on the rear of the card will be perfect for a nice 5x1 Portrait setup, imagine 5 - 24" all in Portrait mode of grand total 6000x1920 resolution, that will be the one to rule them all.

I am pretty sure you see the same amount of verticle game world with 3x portorate as you do with a single monitor in landscape or 3x monitors in landscape (as long as its hor+)

So yeah you get a crazy high resolution but other than that I think your just emulating having a larger single landscape monitor but with 2 bezels down the middle.

To me though, when I had the 3 - Dell2408WFP's in landscape at 5760x1200res, all my games looked freaked out, way too stretched and distorted looking on the two side monitors, to the point it looked horrible. And it was so wide you had to turn your head left and right to see anything on the sides.

While Portrait mode seems just about right for triple screen gaming. Your still getting almost 50% wider screen than a single 30" display, and way more vertical height. But that fish eye lens or distortion is all gone now. It just seems like it is more in your face now, all three screens standing upright tall, puts the game right there in front of you, you can only see the three monitors. Where as Landscape you can still see the wall or something above and behind your displays and seem to lose some of the immersion factor in widescreen.

I still think the hands down best option will be 5x1 in Portrait mode, 5 - 24" monitors would give a 6000x1920 resolution. AMD has some 6-Finity card coming out soon I heard, the rear of the card will have 6 mini-Display Port connections, allowing a total of 6 screens to run off a single card. I would upgrade to that, and two more 2408WFP's.

That will be insane :D dont tempt me, but I feel the problem then will be having enough gpu power to run that res and still have a game playable.

Even if it did work my qualm would be the 2 bezels so close to the center as in portrait you have less screen width before the bezels come into play.

3x24" port is definitely larger than a single 30" but you can get like a 42" HDTV for like $600 these days :D

I have never been a resolution freak, as long as your not close enough to induce the screen door effect 1920x1080 on a big TV is just fine (on the 37" right now only monitor I have till the U2410's get here) plus your FPS will obviously get a boost letting you max out a game easy.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 16:48 

you can get like a 42" HDTV for like $600 these days
Yeah, a 720p TV, not a 1080p TV. That means your giant screen has a resolution of 1280x720, which is not a lot of pixels if you are using it as a computer monitor.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 20:31 
Editors
Editors

you can get like a 42" HDTV for like $600 these days
Yeah, a 720p TV, not a 1080p TV. That means your giant screen has a resolution of 1280x720, which is not a lot of pixels if you are using it as a computer monitor.

No I mean 1080p

I have seen the same one I use for $500 before at buy.com 37" Westinghouse LVM37W3

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 20:40 
Editors
Editors

Yeah, I've seen 1080p TVs in the UK for £420, which is very cheap when all things are considered. In fact I picked one up for £450 around Easter this year. 37" 1080p. In the UK it's very brand-dependent, though; I've seen screens is near-identical specs retailing at £500 and £800... one Samsung, one Sony. About the only difference was their 'dynamic' contrast ratings.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2009, 21:24 
Editors
Editors

The odd thing is my cheap 37" has better view angles than those expensive 2407 and 2408 monitors I had and the colors and black level are also spot on.

I used it as my computer monitor for the last 2 years. 37" was perfect for a huge screen at normal desk sitting distance I think 42" would be about the limit after that you would have to get a higher resolution to avoid seeing the pixels or back up. Also past 42" it would be too big to really see at desk distance.

So I am not knocking 3x portrait I think it has a lot of benefits and cool factor just for gaming I do not personally thing your any better off than a nice TV screen.

Also CoD was one of the few games that supposedly work well with it on the reviews I read, most games didnt work in 3x portrait mode resolution.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 18:22 

When going back to Landscape last night after Portrait, felt like a cold shower Seriously in Portrait it is pure [H]ard, and Landscape felt pure [S]oft. That's for pure Immersion factor, it is 100 times more immersive in Portrait compared to Landscape. If you have not seen it in person with your own eye, you just won't understand.

Landscape feels more thin and very wide but still just a widescreen monitor setup, but does not make me feel like I can get up off my chair and crawl inside the LCD's and jump into the game world like Portrait mode makes me feel, that is a true statement. Seriously, in Portrait mode I feel like tucking in my legs and jumping cannon ball style into the game, like you do off a diving board. Never felt anything even close to that in Landscape.

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 19:46 
Insiders
Insiders

When going back to Landscape last night after Portrait, felt like a cold shower Seriously in Portrait it is pure [H]ard, and Landscape felt pure [S]oft. That's for pure Immersion factor, it is 100 times more immersive in Portrait compared to Landscape. If you have not seen it in person with your own eye, you just won't understand.

Landscape feels more thin and very wide but still just a widescreen monitor setup, but does not make me feel like I can get up off my chair and crawl inside the LCD's and jump into the game world like Portrait mode makes me feel, that is a true statement. Seriously, in Portrait mode I feel like tucking in my legs and jumping cannon ball style into the game, like you do off a diving board. Never felt anything even close to that in Landscape.

Yep, it's really hard to explain, you do the same tilted display thing you do with landscape triplehead but your vertical FOV is about doubled. Overall the aspect ratio is much like regular aspect ratios though. The immersion is mostly from the positioning of the screens in an arc. It's also the reason why for awhile I was going crazy over the idea of a 5 24" LCD protrait setup. :)

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2009, 20:00 

[quote]When going back to Landscape last night after Portrait, felt like a cold shower Seriously in Portrait it is pure [H]ard, and Landscape felt pure [S]oft. That's for pure Immersion factor, it is 100 times more immersive in Portrait compared to Landscape. If you have not seen it in person with your own eye, you just won't understand.

Yep, it's really hard to explain, you do the same tilted display thing you do with landscape triplehead but your vertical FOV is about doubled. Overall the aspect ratio is much like regular aspect ratios though. The immersion is mostly from the positioning of the screens in an arc. It's also the reason why for awhile I was going crazy over the idea of a 5 24" LCD protrait setup. :)

The 5x1 Portrait setup will be hands down the uber Eyefinity rig :) Gaming at 6000x1920res !!!! Where is that 6 port 5870 card ? I thought that was the 2nd major release from AMD, and then the 3rd big release would be the 5870X2 ?

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2009, 00:59 

The odd thing is my cheap 37" has better view angles than those expensive 2407 and 2408 monitors I had and the colors and black level are also spot on.

I used it as my computer monitor for the last 2 years. 37" was perfect for a huge screen at normal desk sitting distance I think 42" would be about the limit after that you would have to get a higher resolution to avoid seeing the pixels or back up. Also past 42" it would be too big to really see at desk distance.

So I am not knocking 3x portrait I think it has a lot of benefits and cool factor just for gaming I do not personally thing your any better off than a nice TV screen.

I'm along the same lines. I purchased a 40" Sharp 1080P earlier this year from Costo for $699. It took a while to calibrate, but the view angle, color, and legibility are pretty exceptional for an under $1000 1080P device.

I loved playing PC games on this thing having it only a few feet from my face, but once I saw the expansive gaming environment of Eyefinity in 3xlandscape, I had to take the plunge.

Having a single huge 16:9 monitor is great and does suck you into the game a bit more, but I love the extra amount of viewable stuff you get with a 5:1 aspect ratio.