Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 14 Sep 2024, 10:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2009, 21:52 

Timmeh, I know, I have been flying sims since the c64 and experimenting with multimonitor as soon as it was supported on the pc's.

I know that it can be lived with it but it is very distracting having the horizon not lined up but something interesting was happening with il2 in this case..

I only noticed because the cockpit stretched across the bezel's. Thought that was strange and looked at the side of the monitors to see that I had vert black bars, i.e. bezel management was turned on and it wasn't. I then paid some attention to the horizon and it looked good.

Yep, agreeing with your post in general but something was happening on this flight that had the horizons surprisingly good.

I have the new machine all set up now so I will give it a go on the triplehead. I will try the hack, thanks ibrin. I also remember that the th2go looks like it's own monitor so it should publish the resolutions to the os as well..

I guess I will find out soon..

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 03:21 

Oh boy, I feel like I have bought a pile of crap.

Things were looking good when I plugged the 5970 in to the th2go, I set up the drivers etc and the screen defaulted to 3840x800.

At this point it worked so I though about changing the resolution. No go, the matrox display manager gave me errors every time I tried to.. Everything is up to date and just installed..

After some playing around I thought I would unplug the th2go and try eyefinity. Bloody hell, how hard is that to get going? No matter what I did I couldnt get it out of eyefinity duplicate screen mode..

While the 5760x1200 option was there nothing happened when I clicked on it.. I played around for a while and had no success. I then went in to basic mode in the catalyst driver to see if it would do it for me. Every wizard was unavailable if you have more than 2 monitors? wtf?

I noticed that the drivers ati give you for the 5970 are not 9.11, they are something else..

This card should not be in the state it is, it's too bloody hard to do what it says on the box.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2009, 11:28 

yay, success!!

Not with the th2go, I think thats probably a dead cause at the moment.

I finally got eyefinity working by doing something in another thread. I.e. remove drivers, swap the cards position on the MB and reinstall drivers. That worked with 2 cards and not three! that stumped me for about an hour until I realised that I was not plugginh in one of the monitors, I was plugging in the cable to the th2go that wasnt connected to anything :doh

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 11:35 

Lol. I was about to tell you to just wait for the new nvidia cards since you already have crossfire 4870 anyways. I'm sure there is a difference in performance, but price-wise, I don't think it's worth it. Spending $600+ on a new gpu that is only around %25 faster than your current one is a no go. Also, you really do not need to upgrade to i7 yet. I'm pretty sure when the 6 core i9 will come out, you would still want to buy that.

Even so, enjoy your new set up.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2009, 20:51 

Hi Yui, I was really replacing two pc's, thats my motivation as well..

I have an older pc with an 8800gtx running a del 30". That will go and be replaced with my 4870 set up while I use the new box with the triple monitors.

btw my 4870's are the 512mb version so the framerates have jumped up a fair bit..