Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 08:39

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2009, 17:36 

I think Matrox is the first company that is really serious about bring triplehead to the masses. (not ATI/AMD)

if you recall. matrox was the first to come out with a card (forgot model#) that support triplehead built in. I think it was around $350 too.. about on par with a ati 5870 but at least the Matrox card don't make us buy a $100 adapter.

the only thing I credit ATI for is bringing us a triplehead card that have the horsepower to play newer/current games in triplehead resolution (with good level of eye candy on)

Well at least the Eyefinity gimmick is better than the NVidia 3D vision thing

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2009, 10:01 
Insiders
Insiders

I think Matrox is the first company that is really serious about bring triplehead to the masses. (not ATI/AMD)

if you recall. matrox was the first to come out with a card (forgot model#) that support triplehead built in. I think it was around $350 too.. about on par with a ati 5870 but at least the Matrox card don't make us buy a $100 adapter.

the only thing I credit ATI for is bringing us a triplehead card that have the horsepower to play newer/current games in triplehead resolution (with good level of eye candy on)

Well at least the Eyefinity gimmick is better than the NVidia 3D vision thing

I agree. The reality of the situation is that the EyeFinity card is quite a nice piece of tech (after drivers mature a bit). The key is jsut as you said, that it has the GPU horsepower to pull it off finally. Even the most entry level 5000-series EyeFinity capable GPU would eat alive the top of the line Matrox GPU silicon. If Matrox was smart they'd get out of the GPU silicon develoment business and make a strategic partnership with a company that does make GPUs with horsepower. That way they could make some meaningful video cards for multi-display 3D instead of just GXM boxes and video wall cards. Wouldn't it be interesting to see how the landscape would change around here if Matrox did make AMD or nVidia based cards or if AMD or nVidia bought up Matrox?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 00:27 

...but at least the Matrox card don't make us buy a $100 adapter.

ATI doesn't make you buy a $100 adapter either. You only need one if you don't have a native DP monitor, so it is not required per say.

When it comes down to it you gotta pay to play and you get what you pay for.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 01:38 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]

ATI doesn't make you buy a $100 adapter either. You only need one if you don't have a native DP monitor, so it is not required per say.

That flawed logic does not fit most of the forum members though. I'd guess we're at least 90% DVI/HDMI based displays. The whole concept of merely just throwing money at a problem isn't the solution for everyone. The only consolation is that some members have now found a DP to VGA analog adapter option that is significantly cheaper than the DVI options.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 03:13 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote][quote]

That flawed logic does not fit most of the forum members though. I'd guess we're at least 90% DVI/HDMI based displays. The whole concept of merely just throwing money at a problem isn't the solution for everyone. The only consolation is that some members have now found a DP to VGA analog adapter option that is significantly cheaper than the DVI options.Hell, why don't they just add a DP to VGA adapter right in the box of the Video card? They've been throwing in DVI to VGA for years. If they want DP to become the new standard it only makes sense.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2009, 18:14 
Insiders
Insiders

Hell, why don't they just add a DP to VGA adapter right in the box of the Video card? They've been throwing in DVI to VGA for years. If they want DP to become the new standard it only makes sense.

Because $35 is still $35. IMHO, it's more important for them to publicize viable alternative than to add cost to the default bundle of every 5000-series card. The trick here is product placement in stores with these adapters sitting right next to the cards on the shelves. The issue here is that is pretty much a store marketing promotion and AMD needs to see that it would help them with adoption of the tech if they promoted the concept of product shelf placement with adapters near by or bundle deals. That is probably outside the scope of their regular marketing campaign tactics though, as I don't think they would normally collaborate on that level with the retail chains. It's still beyond me why we don't see ATI certifying some OEMs, slap their EyeFinity certified logo on the product packaging and do a marketing promotion for EyeFinity compatible products.

Ultimately, all of us here are knowledgable thanks to community experimentation and research, but the unimformed regular target customer would have to dig really deep to gain this type of insight and most likely would not realize there was a bit of issue until they encounter it the hard way.