Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 12:30

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 22:04 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote]So, I've looked for an answer other places, but i can't find it. Can Eyefinity work on current gen cards? or are we gonna have to upgrade?

EDIT: Also, lookat the x-plane Demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6Vf8R_gOec

Note the Top Left Quadrant is the main card. It reacts "early," But really, it's the other Quadrants that react late due to the cross talk issue. If CF was enabled, this would be an issue, but sense each card is rendering an instance of the game, you're gonna have this problem.

hum from what I read at anand it seems like there's more display engines to be able to do that
so my take would be that Eyefinity should be available on newly launched hardware only. (which also makes sense financially)

That's what I initially thought, but through all the articles i've read, no one's saying that it isn't possible. But If i was ATI, i would make it specific to cards coming out in the future (no Backwards Compatibility)

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 22:18 
Editors
Editors

Can Eyefinity work on current gen cards?

I asked about this and the answer was negative. Only 5800 and future GPUs can support Eyefinity.

Question: Is the screenshot I posted on the previous page from Stalker: Clear Sky? Anyone with the game confirm or correct this? I didn't realize until after the event that I didn't recognize the HUD layout.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 22:24 
Editors
Editors

The picture crosstalk delay has me a little concerned. Hopefully it'll be ironed out in the drivers (it can't be that hard to sync frames?) before public release.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 22:32 

All of this fine technology will do nothing if they don't get crossfire working ASAP (why they are releasing these cards before drivers are done is typical ATI nonsense). They will also do me ZERO good at all if they haven't fixed the weather and cloud slowdowns in FSX that all ati cards experience. ATI has always had solid hardware but it looks again to me that they will be hampered by incomplete and/or botchy software yet again. Le sigh. I remain hopeful on that FSX performance problem.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 22:53 
Editors
Editors

The picture crosstalk delay has me a little concerned. Hopefully it'll be ironed out in the drivers (it can't be that hard to sync frames?) before public release.

If you're talking about the XPlane display remember that is Linux. I didn't see any multi-card Eyefinity displays running Windows. Of course, sync would still be an issue, just with a Microsoft flavor.

Any takers on that screenshot? Is it SoC or Clear Sky?

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 23:05 
Insiders
Insiders

Any takers on that screenshot? Is it SoC or Clear Sky?
I'm gonna say it is, But i'm not sure about the map on the left. I havn't played Stalker, but from screenshots, both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky have Square Map HUDs.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2009, 23:26 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Any takers on that screenshot? Is it SoC or Clear Sky?
I'm gonna say it is, But i'm not sure about the map on the left. I havn't played Stalker, but from screenshots, both Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky have Square Map HUDs.
Yeah, I tried googling around for some screenshots but haven't matched that HUD to anything. Perhaps ATI was demoing a modded version of the game? That would be cool. :)

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 00:18 
Insiders
Insiders

One thing I might point out is the 24-display 4-card setup was running X-Plane on Linux. This brings 3 things to light that have not been already mentioned.

1) Bezel management seems to be more complete at this time on Linux than on Windows. With the mechanics of Linux video drivers is it really constrained by the same limitations as DirectX though? I find it odd they chose to use X-Plane Linux and not X-Plane Windows for the example. I sense some hidden reason behind that choice. Also, isn't X-Plane OpenGL based?

2) There was no example (that I can see) that showed a Windows EyeFinity setup pushing more than 6 displays from anything but a single GPU card. I'd be weary in assuming EyeFinity for Windows can span multiple GPUs at this point.

3) Samsung has always been fixated on bezel size. These new displays remind me a lot of the old 172X ultra-thin bezels. It's good to see some new ultra-thin bezel displays from them again.

Even with those things in mind, it blows away any current surround-gaming setups.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 00:40 
Editors
Editors

Videos added to the first post.

Edit
Holy crap I just discovered that Stalker demo is Call of Pripyat! HUD matches:
LINK

on a side question, the case of the "This card has 2 DVI outputs, 1 HDMI and 1 DP" what computer case is that, im finding my case to be too small even tho its a full tower, i need a nice clean case with a window. thanks

Sorry, not sure what case that is. It has an Enermax PSU, bottom-mounted. Not sure if that might help you find it on the web.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2009, 01:14 

All of this fine technology will do nothing if they don't get crossfire working ASAP (why they are releasing these cards before drivers are done is typical ATI nonsense). They will also do me ZERO good at all if they haven't fixed the weather and cloud slowdowns in FSX that all ati cards experience. ATI has always had solid hardware but it looks again to me that they will be hampered by incomplete and/or botchy software yet again. Le sigh. I remain hopeful on that FSX performance problem.

first let's precise what's the use of CF:
CF allows to split rendering load among 2 or more GPUs

then we have eyefinity which seems it will be able to support multi-screens across any number of GFX card
albeit it's not CF but is there any need for it, considering that load is already split by the displays themselves ??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next