Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 01 Jul 2024, 04:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 02:33 
Insiders
Insiders

Hi guys

We got a list of what adaptors can be used and are looking into getting some of these in, the list is confidential so sorry I cant share it with you :(

Will update as soon as I am legally allowed to :D
Why on earth is something like a list of usable adaptors confidential???? That is real weird paranoia type thoughts, I really don't get it. :roll:

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 11:42 
Editors
Editors

[quote]Hi guys

We got a list of what adaptors can be used and are looking into getting some of these in, the list is confidential so sorry I cant share it with you :(

Will update as soon as I am legally allowed to :D
Why on earth is something like a list of usable adaptors confidential???? That is real weird paranoia type thoughts, I really don't get it. :roll:
'Tis strange that a list of adaptors is confidential. I mean, we list adaptors in this thread that work... :lol:

Anyway, the biggest issue for UK customers is the fact that Dell just won't sell that true active adaptor outside of the US. I spoke to a chap at Dell UK whose response could basically be boiled down to "not a chance in hell". :( If Dell UK would sell them, then we wouldn't have this trouble.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 12:34 

Presumbaly confidential as when a decent UK supplier becomes a source they will have cornered the (albeit niche) market.

I fear the prices would be too much for me in any case.... (I have an unrealistic maximum price in mind)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 13:19 
Editors
Editors

I know what price I want it to be: ~£60. ;)

I'm fairly sure I know what price it will be, if we aren't price gouged: £72-75. (Given current exchange rate of £1=$1.57, and inclusive of 15% VAT $100 would be around £73.50...)

I'm very worried that as 'sole UK distributor' the prices will be distinctly the wrong side of £100.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 19:33 

Yep agreed. If we get something it'll not be cheaper than the US version, and likely to be 5 - 10% more expensive (even after adding VAT).

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 22:42 

Im in Australia and just had my Accell Dual Link Shipped today from Electronica Direct (Via Amazon) in the US. Cost was around 200AUD which included some pricey shipping..fed ex shipment should arrive early next week.

As a contingency I ordered the Apple Dual Link locally in Aussie land and ordered the female/male mini DP adaptor from estore. All this stuff should arrive in the next week or so.

Also, http://www.computerhotline.com.au can source them in Australia (well they get them from the UK i am told), but cannot get them till the 21st October and you will most likely pay around 250-280AUD.

Anyway, the biggest issue for UK customers is the fact that Dell just won't sell that true active adaptor outside of the US. I spoke to a chap at Dell UK whose response could basically be boiled down to "not a chance in hell". :( If Dell UK would sell them, then we wouldn't have this trouble.

Why dont you just buy the HP DP to Dual link DVI adaptor in the UK?? Is the same thing but just HP instead of dell...its listed on the Ireland-UK HP site...and yes yes, the picture is incorrect as it has no USB connector but the part number is correct (it is the USB active adaptor) and the price tag of 125 Euro sounds pricey but about right...

refer one of my older posts...

Heck, i rang both Dell and HP locally in Australia and they didnt have a clue about what i was talking about. More to the point i rang a HDMI cabling expert (also locally) who had no idea about what i was talking about...after a bit of research he told me that a Chinese OEM (molex??) has listed a few new 'active' DP to Dual link DVI adaptors that a to be released soon...he also mentioned that this stuff is totally niche market tech at the moment...no where near mainstream just yet...

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2009, 23:56 

Hi guys...

Ben, please check your PM's. :)

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 07:54 

So these are out pretty much everywhere....dell... and any alternatives as far as I can tell...

Dell updated my order which was supposed to ship today to 10/21. I'm guessing any stock has been depleted and then some...

Anyone seen them anywhere? I'd cancel and order somewhere else in that case...

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 08:45 

We at Kabeltje.com ("The Dutch Company") have purchased all of Accells adapters which they had in stock. Unfortunally, it was not enough to supply all of the customers who already have orderd the adapter. We expect to have full stock by the end of October.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2009, 11:47 
Editors
Editors

hoges75... I hadn't even tried HP UK. :( Then again, last time I tried to order something from them, they cancelled the order with no explanation, so not keen on trying them again. Also, given the state the £ is in at the minute against the Euro (thanks, Brown, for making the Sterling nosedive again...) €125 would actually be something insane like £145.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next