Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 28 Jun 2024, 22:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Moose wrote:Aren't you
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 17:50 
Insiders
Insiders

Aren't you worried about tearing? I mean, with three displayport displays (according to your Sig) at least one of them will be connected to a DVI/HMDI port via an adapter, and that means you'll get the dreaded line, or also called tearing. Am I right?

You are probably right. As long as they are not on my primary monitor, I don't even notice tearing. Currently have 2xdvi and 1xdp and that works just fine. So yes there will be some tearing, but no it won't bother me.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

Post subject: Wijkert wrote:You are
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 18:43 

You are probably right. As long as they are not on my primary monitor, I don't even notice tearing. Currently have 2xdvi and 1xdp and that works just fine. So yes there will be some tearing, but no it won't bother me.

You have just dismissed the biggest problem I've encountered in my quest for the best GPU as it is nothing. Since I have never encountered tearing myself, I cannot be sure if it'll bother me. I mean, I even get bothered if I play without AA. That's why I still don't have a GPU after all these months. And you're just: nah, whatever, tearing is not even noticeable. I'm confused :tired:

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 19:06 
Insiders
Insiders

You have just dismissed the biggest problem I've encountered in my quest for the best GPU as it is nothing. Since I have never encountered tearing myself, I cannot be sure if it'll bother me. I mean, I even get bothered if I play without AA. That's why I still don't have a GPU after all these months. And you're just: nah, whatever, tearing is not even noticeable. I'm confused :tired:

Why are you searching for so long for a card that doesn't have tearing without even knowing if it bothers you? Anyway, the point I want to make is that while gaming on triple screens you stare at your middle monitor for 99% of the time. Even if both peripheral monitors have tearing, you wont notice it. The reason why it is so immersive is that although you don't look at the peripheral monitors, they will 'trick' your brain into believing that you are really in the gaming environment. This is also why bezels seem so annoying when your look at a setup, but when you are using it, it seems as if they are not there. Put on a pair of (sun)glasses en have them on long enough and you will not see the frame anymore.

Philips BDM4065UC(3840x2160) Acer Z35(2560x1080@200hz); 980 Ti Hybrid @stock ; 6700K 4.6ghz (1.35v)/D15; 16GB 3200mhz; Asus Maximus Ranger VIII; AX860; 1TB 960 EVO; 750GB 840 EVO; Teufel Concept D 500; Sennheiser HD6XX; Windows 10 (latest build)

Post subject: That is a very good
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 19:56 

That is a very good explanation! However, I now have the chance to get rid of the tearing completely by buying the Asus. I mean, that's even better right? It doesn't cost a 100+ bucks more, like a 6990, and you get 3GB VRAM. I think I'll regret it if I do not buy the Asus, even if I might never notice the tearing. What do you reckon? (I don't need a HDMI port for my tv)

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 22:30 
Editors
Editors

There is still NO guarante that you will get Tearing! And even if that small possibility shoul happen, cant' you bring the card back because of insufficent quality of the Product?

@Project-x
Yeah, shure you shouldn't overheat a GPU!
Oh, and did you know that XFX Dual Dissapation Cards get 103C hot on the back site? Reference design is 80C. So that would Mark all XFX cards right from the begin.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 23:00 
Insiders
Insiders

I would indeed recommend the asus to you. It makes you limited in your choices though (e.g. if its not in stock you have to wait). Also, the CUII cooler isn't the best cooler, its cheap though. Twin frozr/sapphire oc/windforce and powercoler ones are better. Besides it takes up three slots instead of two. The price and the connection is what makes this card interesting.

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2012, 23:07 

There is still NO guarante that you will get Tearing! And even if that small possibility shoul happen, cant' you bring the card back because of insufficent quality of the Product?

Well, I've got three DVI/HDMI monitors, so if I pick a regular 7970 I'd have to use adapters, and until now everyone that uses adapters has the line. If you have 'evidence' that the new 7000 series don't have that, please share with me

Post subject: I already said I use an
PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 00:29 

I already said I use an adapter and Ive no idea what this tearing is about. I cannot believe you are out to solve a problem you have never experienced and most people dont even see. Besides the adapter only changes the mechanical aspect of the connection, DP transmits a DVI type signal when a single link passive DP-DVI adapter is connected (same signal x3), outside a problem with the adapter, the card has no idea anything has changed.

Im also using 2 different monitor types, my middle 24" is an S-PVA panel, sides are TNs.

Fill me in here, what and where is this bad tearing problem Im meant to see?

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 01:15 
Insiders
Insiders

It's too bad there's usually no convenient way to try Eyefinity before you buy. Bezels bother some people, but not others. Likewise, some people want 30 FPS while others need 60 FPS for things to seem smooth. Some people want v-sync and others don't care about tearing from v-sync being disabled. Lot's of folks care about anti-aliasing, but some don't. Micro-stuttering bugs a lot of folks, but I hardly ever notice it (some games are worse than others).

I think you're in the same boat. There's no way to know if tearing will bother you or not. I run 2x 5870's at 6052x1080 bezel-compensated on 2 X DVI ports and 1 native display port and I've never noticed any tearing. But, I'm also the kind of guy that doesn't mind v-sync disabled tearing (I can see it, but usually am not bothered by it).

PostPosted: 07 Feb 2012, 03:40 
Insiders
Insiders

It's a bit silly, because you have no context or real frame of reference on taring. Taring is inconsequential IMHO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next