Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 10:16

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 72  Next
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 11:42 

So anyone see any reason a simple Displayport > VGA converter from HP, Dell etc for around $35 shouldn´t work for this?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 12:47 
Editors
Editors

So anyone see any reason a simple Displayport > VGA converter from HP, Dell etc for around $35 shouldn´t work for this?

Well for $35 it sounds like an adapter not a converter. To go from analog (vga) to DP/HDMI/DVI (digital) you would need a device to transcode the signal on the fly and they are usually $100+

So many people I have seen on my other forum that buy the laptop VGA --> DVI adapter for $2.50 on ebay and wonder why it doesnt work....

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 14:40 

I suspect it may be better for me to sell a Dell 2407WFP and replace it with a second hand 2408WFP which has dispalyport if it appears you need an expensivconverter rather than an adaptor. Any Eyefinity reviews been posted?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 14:58 

Well for $35 it sounds like an adapter not a converter. To go from analog (vga) to DP/HDMI/DVI (digital) you would need a device to transcode the signal on the fly and they are usually $100+

So many people I have seen on my other forum that buy the laptop VGA --> DVI adapter for $2.50 on ebay and wonder why it doesnt work....

Maybe a stupid question, but what are those adapters purpose (Displayport > VGA) then if they can´t convert the signal? You mean sometimes the Displayport sends out an analog signal?

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 20:57 
Editors
Editors

I think reviews of the 5870 that deal with EyeFinity are going to be left to "us" to do, rather than any of the normal review sites. From the short section Anandtech had about it, the reviewer didn't seem like it was worth his time. Guru3D might be different and do one in future, but who knows?

And rbjorn... I agree. I see no point in these cheap DP->VGA adaptors if they don't work. I guess time will tell.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 22:35 

[quote]So anyone see any reason a simple Displayport > VGA converter from HP, Dell etc for around $35 shouldn´t work for this?

http://store.apple.com/ca/product/MB572Z/A
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5107&seq=1&format=2

These look like active converters to me (due to their formfactor). I really dont see why these would not just work fine.

I use a $2.50 VGA -> DVI adapter just fine.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 23:28 

Those passive VGA-DVI adaptors only work where the DVI input is DVI-I capable, i.e. it is taking the DVI-A component of the cable.

Connecting a VGA output via such an adaptor to a suitable monitor is still connecting via a VGA signal it is just that the monitor is capable of taking and accepting the analogue VGA singal over the DVI(-A) part of the cable.

My HP LP1965's have dual DVI-I connections, i.e. you can connect via analogue or digital, it comes with a VGA to DVI cable - but it's still analogue.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2009, 23:41 

DP to VGA adapters are (most likely) not active adapters, but a signal/cable pass through adapters (as with the DVI-I to VGA adapters). It seems Apple are the only ones using the DP to carry analog VGA signals as well (and charging a lot for the adapter, USD 34, when it should cost only about USD2.5)

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 00:18 

Those passive VGA-DVI adaptors only work where the DVI input is DVI-I capable, i.e. it is taking the DVI-A component of the cable.

Connecting a VGA output via such an adaptor to a suitable monitor is still connecting via a VGA signal it is just that the monitor is capable of taking and accepting the analogue VGA singal over the DVI(-A) part of the cable.

My HP LP1965's have dual DVI-I connections, i.e. you can connect via analogue or digital, it comes with a VGA to DVI cable - but it's still analogue.

will this work on my 22 inch screen.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peripherals/Cabling/HDMI%2FMonitor+Cables/DISPLAY+PORT+M+-+DVI+F+ADAPTOR?productId=36183

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2009, 00:21 
Editors
Editors

will this work on my 22 inch screen.

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Peripherals/Cabling/HDMI%2FMonitor+Cables/DISPLAY+PORT+M+-+DVI+F+ADAPTOR?productId=36183

We don't know for sure.

That's the problem.

ATi's rep is sure taking his time clearing this concern up. :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 72  Next