Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 08 Jul 2024, 13:09

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next
PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 07:48 

[quote]I broke down and ordered the monster DP to VGA adapter from Fry's to test this for myself. I'll report back.

Update:
After nothing but trouble with the accell DP->DVI adapter, I'm happy to report that yesterday I experienced my first flicker-free day of eyefinity. I also played BC2 for over 3 hours straight w/o one issue. Although I can't comment on any other brand of DP-VGA adapters, this monster brand (although a bit costly) is working great.

I'm glad to know you're enjoying trouble-free Eyefinity at last! I, too, have had no issues since switching to the DP -> VGA adapter made by Monster.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 21:44 

Update: The Apple introduced a new problem. Windows not going pas the windows flag screen.
When i restart the PC with the Accel everything starts fine (i have to go into safe mode first and then restart..)

I had to repair windows at one point and it rolled back in a former state. Which happen to be 10.3b.
Reinstalled 10.5 with uninstalling 10.3b but not using driver sweeper this time!!! , With Apple it did not start..
Plugged in the Accel and restarted Safe mode. Restarted again and WTF Accel-10.5-no BLINK??????????

So it works, but i don't have a clue why.

Am i good to go??

**EDIT** after some time the flickering suddenly starts again, unplugging+plugging the DP resolves this..

PostPosted: 28 May 2010, 22:40 

FOLKS WE HAVE FIGURED IT OUT! CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF Active DP to DVI DOES NOT WORK 100% with EYEFINITY!

After reading a thread last week on the web about eyefinity + HP VGA-> DP adapter working flawlessly I decided to go ahead and order the same item (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-51210-64268-1844682-64268-3895841-3895842-3895844.html?jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20DisplayPort%20To%20VGA%20Adapter&lang=en&cc=us)

IT WORKS! NO MORE FLICKER! Only when switching from eyefinity mode to individual desktops which is expected. I played BC2 for a bit and not 1 single flicker. It even works with the new 10.5 which were giving me constant flickers with the active adapter.

Even sweeter is that the adapter only costs $29.99!

I can go ahead and get a refund for my expensive active DP to DVI adapter from dell.

:rockout :mrgreen: :cheers :D

Can we make this a sticky with the [SOLVED] in the title so that all those people with the same problem (there are plenty) can easily find this page? thanks!

PS
(sorry for the screaming, but this has been a looooooong process!)

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 08:34 

FOLKS WE HAVE FIGURED IT OUT! CONTRARY TO POPULAR BELIEF Active DP to DVI DOES NOT WORK 100% with EYEFINITY!

After reading a thread last week on the web about eyefinity + HP VGA-> DP adapter working flawlessly I decided to go ahead and order the same item (http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF06c/A10-51210-64268-1844682-64268-3895841-3895842-3895844.html?jumpid=oc_R1002_USENC-001_HP%20DisplayPort%20To%20VGA%20Adapter&lang=en&cc=us)

IT WORKS! NO MORE FLICKER! Only when switching from eyefinity mode to individual desktops which is expected. I played BC2 for a bit and not 1 single flicker. It even works with the new 10.5 which were giving me constant flickers with the active adapter.

Even sweeter is that the adapter only costs $29.99!

I can go ahead and get a refund for my expensive active DP to DVI adapter from dell.

:rockout :mrgreen: :cheers :D

Can we make this a sticky with the [SOLVED] in the title so that all those people with the same problem (there are plenty) can easily find this page? thanks!

PS
(sorry for the screaming, but this has been a looooooong process!)

Sorry to say, but this is by far the "ultimate solution" we are searching for.

This only works when we are willing to sacrifice the better DVI quality for VGA.
Maybe this is not a problem when you are only gaming, but i also use this monitors for CAD and DTP..

Also you state you still have problems with switching to single desktops.. This should not be a problem.
Don't forget the people that are having problems with native DP monitor!! Is this a solution for them then?

No, ATI and the card manufacturers should look into this, i managed to get a flicker free AND flickering setup with the same drivers and adapter. This is a software problem. Maybe not integral in the driver package but maybe the sequence of installation..

Please keep this thread to NON_SOLVED

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 12:17 
Editors
Editors

We already have a thread saying that the DP>VGA adaptors seem to work well here.

You can't say "just don't use it!" to solve the problem. It's not really a solution. People want to be able to use these adaptors without flickering - ATI even say you can use them and they are the "highest award of quality". Hence people are angry and they need to fix it.

Follow me on twitter: @theg00seberry and find me on Steam

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 16:38 

Sorry to say, but this is by far the "ultimate solution" we are searching for.

This only works when we are willing to sacrifice the better DVI quality for VGA.
Maybe this is not a problem when you are only gaming, but i also use this monitors for CAD and DTP..

Also you state you still have problems with switching to single desktops.. This should not be a problem.
Don't forget the people that are having problems with native DP monitor!! Is this a solution for them then?

No, ATI and the card manufacturers should look into this, i managed to get a flicker free AND flickering setup with the same drivers and adapter. This is a software problem. Maybe not integral in the driver package but maybe the sequence of installation..

Please keep this thread to NON_SOLVED

Hey johnny,
Im sorry to say but you are mistaken my friend. There is no difference in quality when comparing DVI to VGA using eyefinity.

Games look exactly the same, you use CAD? I use Cinema 3d and I saw 0 difference. Photoshop? nope. Websites? nope. Text
when typing up a paper? not at all.

Ive used DVI, Ive used VGA for over 15 years and the only difference I see is that you can say "I hook up my monitor digitally".

Please dont go and post scientific studies or tests to show us that there is a difference because when it all comes down to it
the only thing that matters is how it applies to our everyday computing, and for me and the posters in that link to that thread posted by EZ which
is now 16 pages long seems to confirm what Ive been saying about DP->VGA adapters, this is the flicker free solution.

And I dont have a problem when switching to single desktop I just wanted it to be clear that there is still the mandatory "flicker" when switching profiles
which is not the same flicker that happens randomly.

I said it was a software problem before as well, but if I use this adapter i can install 13a-15a and it still functions 100%, I cant help but change my mind now because the proof is there. No matter how much success a certain driver brought it still exhibited random flickering to some extent.

ATI's problem comes from the fact that they are recommending that we use Active DP adapters when according to this forum and my findings that is completely false.

Hey Johnny have you tried using a DP->VGA adapter yet? If not then you should.

About the guys having problems with the DP monitor, im still not 100% convinced that the flickering theyre seeing is related to our issues with the adapters.

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 19:14 

MEAHT: i think you are missing the point here.. These adapters are certified. So they should work.

And, yes, i just plugged in my DP to VGA adapter (one from the mentioned "working" thread) to check with 10.5, i had this one lying around since 10.1 or somewhat earlier.. And it doesn't work, same blinking as the active ones (apple included)

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 22:30 

MEAHT: i think you are missing the point here.. These adapters are certified. So they should work.

And, yes, i just plugged in my DP to VGA adapter (one from the mentioned "working" thread) to check with 10.5, i had this one lying around since 10.1 or somewhat earlier.. And it doesn't work, same blinking as the active ones (apple included)

May I ask exactly which DP->VGA adapter you're using?

While I definitely agree that the recommended/certified adapters should work, the one very highly recommended one [ACCELL] did NOT work for me. The Monster brand DP->VGA adapter is working beautifully, AND, like has been said by several others, I see no discernible difference between DVI/HDMI and VGA image quality.

~Windows 7 x64 Professional~MSI X58A-GD45~Intel I7-950~6x2 GB DDR3 1600 RAM (Triple Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX HD 6950 2 GB GDDR5~3 ViewSonic 24 inch LCDs in Eyefinity~SATA Dual Layer DVD RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~Done with Vista~XP Pro on the way out, too!~AND....250 GB XBOX 360~

PostPosted: 29 May 2010, 23:28 

[quote]MEAHT: i think you are missing the point here.. These adapters are certified. So they should work.

May I ask exactly which DP->VGA adapter you're using?

While I definitely agree that the recommended/certified adapters should work, the one very highly recommended one [ACCELL] did NOT work for me. The Monster brand DP->VGA adapter is working beautifully, AND, like has been said by several others, I see no discernible difference between DVI/HDMI and VGA image quality.

Same as texasTango http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=17468 first post..

But as i said before, this is not the point. I reacted to MEAHT because i think branding the Ative adapters as NOT WORKING isn't completely logical..

I had loads of problems with the Apple and VGA adapter under 10.1 and 10.2. I bought the Accel which was working flawless up until 10.4.. I was really stumped to see the Apple working perfectly under 10.5 again! Only thing is that my PC hangs at the windows flag when i restart it for the second time with the Apple connected.

So, it seems driver version has a lot of impact on the functionality of the adapters. Maybe at the moment the Monster brand VGA adapter works for you, but wil it after the release of 10.6 or 10.7? I would like to find out what causes the blinking and what can be done about it. Be it software or hardware.

This seems to be complex matter and up to now nobody has related the problem of blinking to driver, Bios, GPU Hardware or Adapters!
Just some things work for some people and other things for the rest of them..

It would be great to gather all information together in one database and crosslink bios version, adapter type, adapter revison, OS, GPU harware/revison and brand/type of monitor.. Who's with me?

**EDIT**
And to be complete, my BIOS info:

PostPosted: 30 May 2010, 00:03 

I'd say "Update that BIOS Johnnyvd" but....hmmm, that is the most up to date BIOS from techpowerup's database, bummer, as other brands seem to have newer BIOS.
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?page=1&architecture=ATI&manufacturer=&model=HD+5970&interface=&memSize=0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next