Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 02 Jul 2024, 11:27

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dave... Eyefinity6
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2010, 22:18 
Insiders
Insiders

So I sold my HDTV and are about to buy my 3 extra monitors, hey dave, gimme a date and you'll have my support for years to come.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 01:02 

Is there an ETA on an ETA?

This delay really has me debating going with two cards, one lower end for 2D use only, and one for 2D/gaming, but I don't want to pull the trigger on that if the Eyefinity6 is out soon as it involves other expenses that I have budgeted for later.

This debate is made tougher by the announcement of a 3 port 2GB 5870.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 18:56 

Is there an ETA on an ETA?

This delay really has me debating going with two cards, one lower end for 2D use only, and one for 2D/gaming, but I don't want to pull the trigger on that if the Eyefinity6 is out soon as it involves other expenses that I have budgeted for later.

This debate is made tougher by the announcement of a 3 port 2GB 5870.

What's disturbing is now vendors are starting to work on non-Six 2gb pcbs. You have to wonder why they would do this if the Six was even remotely close. If it weren't for Samsung's investment in a Six monitor solution I'd start grumbling of vaporware. My interest in the Six stands now only as an outsider. I've invested 400$ in a 5870, 350$ in a desk only large enough for 3, and made a cost decision to go with non-dp monitors knowing I only needed one adapter. I grew tired of playing what felt like little more than a marketing game with ATI. My guess is that if it is ever released it'll be released as a counter-punch to the GF100 and Nvidia's competing 3 monitor solution.

If I missed the mark and there are real reasons that the Six is being withheld, then forgive me, unfortunately speculation is the only thing we have. If I sound a little put off, it's because I am. I had my heart set on a 5x1 portrait. I waited over a month with a new pc build sitting in newegg's shopping cart specifically for the Six. ATI's lack of communication and my patience wearing thin I settled for 3x1. It's now a done deal and if Nvidia has a solution that's even close to ATI next go around I'll gladly go back to the green team even if it means spending more.

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 19:36 

Unfortunately I believe that we are going to have to wait till March (which if I recall is when the NVidia cards are coming) for our E6 Card. Trust me, it is what I am waiting for.

"I sense something, a presence I've not felt since......."

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2010, 21:09 
Insiders
Insiders

Unfortunately I believe that we are going to have to wait till March (which if I recall is when the NVidia cards are coming) for our E6 Card. Trust me, it is what I am waiting for.

Really? I've got my heart set on a 3x2 setup, I've even got money that I'm starting to stock pile (I can buy monitor 4&5 right now). I'd seriously like atleast some more information on the "5876," it would be nice if it were a eta, or some hint at where it is in the process of being made / validated / tested / etc. I grow impatient like a child on christmas, only it seems like time has stopped at 11:59 PM and it wont budge a minute.

PostPosted: 13 Feb 2010, 01:41 

I don't buy the vaporware nor the wait for the competition angles. There's something going on though. It'd be nice to have a feel for when though, it was alluded to in the fall and nothing since.

I don't buy the waiting angle as there seems to be no competitive advantage to waiting. Putting your competition in a deeper hole for longer seems like a better strategy than always being just one step ahead. Being two or three steps ahead for part of the time seems better than that.

That said, there are good reasons to focus on the lower end of the 5xxx range before the 6 port card. Diverting resources off the lower end products or driver stability wouldn't make sense, but the former is covered and the latter is improving. So to repeat the question in a different fashion, are there more currently unknown products in the ATI pipeline before the 6 port card or can we really expect the 5870 HD Eyefinity6 "soon" now without being disappointed?

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 02:26 

WANT

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 06:17 

So far, the only suggestion we've seen is from a review on Dec 28 on a rumormill site called Bright Side of News, by Theo Valich (formerly of the Inquirer), saying "This statement may sound like a PR stunt, but we will all have to wait until February 2010 to see the arrival of Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity6 Edition, board equipped with six mini-DisplayPorts and full-sized heat exhaust. We'll make appropriate thermal testing at that time."

Review units have been in a Chinese site's hands since November, and there've been a few slipups on Twitter & elsewhere where people talked about 6-display Eyefinity setups without mentioning who they worked for or how they had access.

I've been pushing back a PC purchase since late September when they sold me on Eyefinity. I was quietly expecting it around Thanksgiving, and waiting is becoming increasingly frustrating.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 18:41 

The Eyefinity 6 is just an illusion

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2010, 23:19 

I can just imagine the bezel management pains with a 3x2 system.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next