Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 05 Jul 2024, 07:11

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 05:41 

... That is why I'm glad they are here listening.

Good point.

Post subject: Re: Eyefinity rocks
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 10:04 

Sorry about all the flak you are taking off some of the yahoos on this forum, going Displayport was a bold move and didn't take away from existing capabilities. If you can afford 3 monitors, you can afford the DPtoDVI adapter. Those kids don't know how the market works.

I´m neither a yahoo or an ignorant kid, but nice of you to resort to this lowly namecalling anyway Trueman... Being a customer rep is an ungrateful job in many cases but I am pretty sure both Dave Baumann and SunSp*t realizes, and in some cases appreciates, the fact that they aren´t just going to get roses thrown at them in forums like this. Without people questioning others decisions, ideas etc we wouldn´t be were we are today in many fields. You do understand that is a big reason they visit these forums, to get input from people, not just praise?

The 5800-series with Eyefinity is a GREAT product, it´s just not perfect. At least not yet.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 12:23 

If you can afford 3 monitors, you can afford the DPtoDVI adapter.

There are budget trippleheaders out there.
Like me.
I paid like 70Euro for my used 2nd and 3rd screens each.
No way I am gonna buy an adapter which costs more than the screen.
I can't upgrade just 1 screen to displayport either, they dont make 19" with displayport.

And tbh I dont want bigger screens, they take up too much deskspace already.

Mixed resolutions or pLp configurations would help with lowering vertical deskspace requirements.

But for now its just better to stay by my trusty TH2Go. No stupid DP reqs, bezel management, and I can drive 4 screens total off 2 dvi ports.

It would be awesome if 2 cards in crossfire could use their 4 legacy outputs to drive 4 or at least 3 legacy screens in eyefinity mode

Dave, SunSp*t, is something like this planned?

I would rather buy 2 cards than a stupid 100Euro adapter.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 14:45 

@ Kryptonyte: No harm intended. But you have the ear of a major hardware developer, and some of the posts here are downright flaming. Some of their own responses point this out. Nobody singled you out, so don't worry. A few comments by others really rubbed me the wrong way, I thought we were supposed to play nice. Constructive criticism, right?

@ ChainSOV: Of course there are budget tripleheaders, I'm one too. Triplehead setups aren't the cheapest thing out there, you do have to spend some $$$ to keep up, it's not like going to a hockey game in a soup pot for a helmet and gardening gloves. How did you feel when PCI-E erupted onto the scene, and your shiny, blazingly fast AGP mobo was suddenly garbage because all the newest stuff was incompatible? I certainly couldn't afford a whole new rig at the time, but developers took that leap and here we are. It'll happen again and again, Displayport is no different than PCI-E, DDR3, Blu-Ray, SATA, or Windows 7. Look at the bright side, at least it's not 3 displayports on the back of the card! Then we'd really be screwed, and Dave & Sunsp*t would be lynched.

@ Dave & Sunsp*t: please read above; need ideas.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 15:29 

BH, I'm pretty sure that what we've really got going here is a commercial grade product, and the gaming community is more of a sideshow fringe income to simply help mature the technology into something more commercially attractive, a stepping stone if you will. Once you put it into perspective (where real cash comes from) the DP starts to make more sense for sure.
Matrox essentially said the same thing when they announced the TripleHead2Go DP Edition. It is a product designed first and foremost for the business world, and the entertainment side of things just gets to reap some of the fringe benefits.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 15:58 

BH, I'm pretty sure that what we've really got going here is a commercial grade product, and the gaming community is more of a sideshow fringe income to simply help mature the technology into something more commercially attractive, a stepping stone if you will. Once you put it into perspective (where real cash comes from) the DP starts to make more sense for sure.

You know, I do kind of take exception to this. I was a huge proponent for getting the 3 display capabilities on the initial configurations and there were considerable engineering challenges to it that put the team through many, many hoops - this configuration was difficult to achieve from the clock source perspective, from EMI concerns, supporting and fully qualifying the stacked DVI, the thermal considerations required to support the output, etc., etc. The team put a hell of a lot of effort into getting this display configuration running on the boards because it was clear to me that this is going to be one of the primary gaming configurations for Eyefinity, and gaming is the primary target for these initial boards.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 16:01 

It would be awesome if 2 cards in crossfire could use their 4 legacy outputs to drive 4 or at least 3 legacy screens in eyefinity mode

I'll humbly quote dave answer in another post which is related to this

[quote]Example, having 2x 5850's in Crossfire, have a SLS 3 monitor setup, and have 2 of the monitors connected to the DVI ports of the primary card, and the 3rd connected to a DVI port on the secondary card. If this feature was enabled, it would save alot of hassle and money in having to buy an active adaptor, which then could be spend on a 2nd ATI card for better performance, (CrossFire 5850's > 1x5870 + active adaptor)

To do this type of setup you'd need a genlock/framelock type connector that is typically a workstation feature. Without this it would make the timing/syncing of the panels between card particularly difficult and you'd be getting "panel" tearing.
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/node/11285t=15

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2009, 16:06 

[quote]on a sidenote I wonder if an ATI partner might do a redesign of the 5870 month later with 3x "working" DVI outputs, depends if they expect a market for it I guess ...

I don't thnk there is a large enough market for them to do that, or it would have been done in the first place.

hum I agree with the rest of your post but I'm not so sure about that bit...
why ? because there isn't a large enough market for AMD to put out a GFX card like that. Ho yes! that's probably the case.
But sometimes partners look at more niche markets than AMD & NVIDIA do, to differentiate themselves from other partners ...

(like 2GB GTX285 for example ... don't tell me this is not a niche market ... or worse : Asus MARS ...)

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 02:28 
Insiders
Insiders

[quote][quote]on a sidenote I wonder if an ATI partner might do a redesign of the 5870 month later with 3x "working" DVI outputs, depends if they expect a market for it I guess ...

I don't thnk there is a large enough market for them to do that, or it would have been done in the first place.

hum I agree with the rest of your post but I'm not so sure about that bit...
why ? because there isn't a large enough market for AMD to put out a GFX card like that. Ho yes! that's probably the case.
But sometimes partners look at more niche markets than AMD & NVIDIA do, to differentiate themselves from other partners ...

(like 2GB GTX285 for example ... don't tell me this is not a niche market ... or worse : Asus MARS ...)

IMHO, what was done, was done for several reasons and is targeted at the mainstream. AMD very deliberately designed this port out design for all of it's current cards on the market right now. Just look over Newegg and see the 5000-series line offerings. 100% of them use the same port out right now. Going 3 DVI would require a hardware redesign just get what you want. Just because you want something doesn't make it financially plausiable. Many of the things we want that AMD will listen to us are going to be software driver based suggestions. Those are a bit easier to modify than a hardware design, as they put out monthly software/driver updates. What you are suggesting takes much greater research and time (and budget) to pull off a hardware respin. What I am to understand out of all of this, the DP configuration was the only reason why this came about. They're probably not going to totally redesign the whole 5000-series port out configuration just because you want a 3rd "legacy" clock generator. They could explain it better though why it would require an expensive hardware redesign, as I'm a manufacturing engineer, not an electronics engineer.

Things like the ASUS Mars and EVGA Classified 285 occured because the manufacturer opened the design up to it's partners for custom designs. At this point in time AMD has been sticking to the reference designs only and to my knowledge has yet to license partners to modify the design. If you'll ever see a 3 legacy clock card, it would come out of AMD licensing the ability to open up custom variations of the cards to partners, most likely not from AMD. This late in the product development timeline, it makes no financial sense to respin a new 3rd "legacy" clock generator design. The most variation you might see at this moment is only custom heatsink or bios configurations. This would be a better request to target at AMD partners than at AMD themselves.

Would I want a 3 DVI 5000-series card? Yes. Would I buy one? Yes. Do I see it happening anytime soon? No. If it added a cost of....say....$30 premum to the card for a 3 DVI port card, that is still less than a $100 adapter. I fully understand that. It just doesn't mean it'll occur though. Just my 2 cents... :wink:

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2009, 09:37 

If ATI started development for this any time in the last 12 months, you can bet there were some heated meetings both before and after engineering launch, pressing the bean counters on how they plan to pay for this in the midst of a shaken World economy.

Development was started well before the economic crash last year. And yes, there were a number of people who regularly challenged the viability of EF post-crash. Folks who questioned the investment and the recurring costs. You already know which side prevailed. Debate is a good thing.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 719 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72  Next