Widescreen Gaming Forum

[-noun] Web community dedicated to ensuring PC games run properly on your tablet, netbook, personal computer, HDTV and multi-monitor gaming rig.
It is currently 29 Jun 2024, 03:05

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 48  Next
PostPosted: 01 Dec 2009, 23:57 

Does anyone know if there have been blanking problems with just using a native DP monitor? I'm seriously thinking about forgetting about the DP-->DVI adapter and just getting a nice 24" HP with native DP connection.

I'm at a point in my life where $ isn't a big concern - but the time spent troubleshooting this crap is. So, anyone know if this would be a trouble-free way to go?

I had exactly the same issue. I tried absolutely everything for over a month.

3 weeks ago, I gave up, purchased a Dell U2410 DP monitor and it hasn't had one single fault since.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 00:11 

[quote]Does anyone know if there have been blanking problems with just using a native DP monitor? I'm seriously thinking about forgetting about the DP-->DVI adapter and just getting a nice 24" HP with native DP connection.

I'm at a point in my life where $ isn't a big concern - but the time spent troubleshooting this crap is. So, anyone know if this would be a trouble-free way to go?

I had exactly the same issue. I tried absolutely everything for over a month.

3 weeks ago, I gave up, purchased a Dell U2410 DP monitor and it hasn't had one single fault since.
Thanks for the unequivocal response. That's what I wanted to hear. And my apologies to ATI for the above disgruntled comments. Sounds like I simply got burnt trying to use a cheap substitute for a real DP monitor.

Lesson learned.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 01:59 

If I wasn't now officially broke, I'd try this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Acoustic-Research-AR-489-Pro-II-Series-DVI-Repeater_W0QQitemZ380161365420QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item58836215ac

Someone should. Since it's technically a signal problem...

PS: I, of course, have the same issue as everyone else in here. Frustration is a gentle description of how this feels.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 07:21 
Administrators
Administrators

I only have blanking out problems when the DP monitor is not my centre monitor. Once I set it to be my centre monitor so that regardless of what screen mode I am using, it always stays on, I have never had this issue again.

I am using an Apple adapter, have an Accell adapter here but have never tried it because the Apple adapter is 100% reliable for me when the monitor is set to the centre screen.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2009, 20:43 

Does anyone know if there have been blanking problems with just using a native DP monitor? I'm seriously thinking about forgetting about the DP-->DVI adapter and just getting a nice 24" HP with native DP connection.

I would like to say I've had my Dell Monitor (centre monitor with native DP) go off a few times. This only happens when loading games sometimes never when playing a game/at the desktop. It's usually to do with a resolution change from desktop to full screen all my monitors will go black but only the side monitors will return and the Dell just says no signal. Sometimes I don't see this problem for a few days but then it will keep happening repeatly for no apparent reason hehe.

I think it's something to do with the response time of the monitor when changing resolution? As sometimes the dell takes up to 3 seconds to change resolution where as my 2 side monitors are instantish.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 11:13 

[quote]Does anyone know if there have been blanking problems with just using a native DP monitor? I'm seriously thinking about forgetting about the DP-->DVI adapter and just getting a nice 24" HP with native DP connection.

I would like to say I've had my Dell Monitor (centre monitor with native DP) go off a few times. This only happens when loading games sometimes never when playing a game/at the desktop. It's usually to do with a resolution change from desktop to full screen all my monitors will go black but only the side monitors will return and the Dell just says no signal. Sometimes I don't see this problem for a few days but then it will keep happening repeatly for no apparent reason hehe.

I think it's something to do with the response time of the monitor when changing resolution? As sometimes the dell takes up to 3 seconds to change resolution where as my 2 side monitors are instantish.
Thanks for that qualifier. One thing's certain: this stuff is bleeding edge. I'm looking at an HP IPS monitor similar to the Dell. I already use an HP 24" monitor and have been extremely pleased with it.

In any case, I'm resigned to the fact that there's no way to predict if any of this crap will work.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 13:41 

For those that feel comfortable flashing their BIOS (note: may void warranty) and they are seeing DP issues on their HD 5870 could I ask that you try out the following BIOS:

http://techpowerup.com/vgabios/61848/ATI.HD5870.1024.091112.html

May I ask what the "may" means exactly in the sentence "may void warranty" ?

something along the line :
-if one break his own card while trying to flash the BIOS => warranty void ?
or
-more directly, if one flash the BIOS => warranty void ?

Thanks for any precision. (note: I don't own a 5k card, but always wondered about this issue)

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 19:39 

Having a native DP monitor worked for me. I haven't had any blinking or blackout issues.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2009, 19:57 

Having a native DP monitor worked for me. I haven't had any blinking or blackout issues.

Which monitor did you go with? I'd just as soon not re-invent the wheel...

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2009, 12:49 

Just an update, My dell monitor hasn't blacked out for a good days days with a fair amount of gaming, I think it only does sometimes when my computer is really stressing out (for example, extracting while loading a game or just recovering from and install straight into loading)? That's just a guess :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 48  Next